cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Good Sources for Quality Bulk Solar Cable

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm building a solar system on our TT. I am going to buy my own MC4 connectors, crimpers, etc, and build my own custom length cables for connecting the roof solar panels to the roof combiner box.

I'm having trouble finding quality 10 gauge UV-resistant cooper (not copper clad aluminum) cable designed to attach MC4 connectors to, in say 50 ft lengths (or where it can be ordered by the foot). Anyone have good source(s) to recommend for this? Sometimes I find some cable that looks good initially, but then find one or more reviews that state that the cable they received was 12 gauge, not 10 gauge.

Another question -- I'm finding both 19 strand and 7 strand cables -- what are the pros and cons of each (I presume that 19 strand is more flexible), and which is designed to work well with MC4 connectors?

Thanks for any input!
34 REPLIES 34

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer

Mike_Poorman
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
I'm building a solar system on our TT. I am going to buy my own MC4 connectors, crimpers, etc, and build my own custom length cables for connecting the roof solar panels to the roof combiner box.

I'm having trouble finding quality 10 gauge UV-resistant cooper (not copper clad aluminum) cable designed to attach MC4 connectors to, in say 50 ft lengths (or where it can be ordered by the foot). Anyone have good source(s) to recommend for this? Sometimes I find some cable that looks good initially, but then find one or more reviews that state that the cable they received was 12 gauge, not 10 gauge.

Another question -- I'm finding both 19 strand and 7 strand cables -- what are the pros and cons of each (I presume that 19 strand is more flexible), and which is designed to work well with MC4 connectors?

Thanks for any input!

If you have not yet found a source for the wire, check a welding supply store.

When I was looking into solar on another trailer I looked into getting the needed cabling and noticed that the welding supply store had all of the different gauges to make it work.

On top of that the cables will be much more flexible and easier to work with.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good info. I use this when on sale for half price a few times a year. ($15 instead of $30) Comes in red or black.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/8-gauge-25-ft-black-primary-wire/A-p8826612e
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Follow-up: I thought I should share this. I ordered and received the wire in the link below, which was suggested in this thread, and after careful inspection, ended up returning it. The ebay listing states that it is copper AND, there is a prominent close-up pic of the end of a wire stripped, and it appears to be copper.

When I received the roll of wire, I stripped some insulation off the end, and the wire was silver color. I thought maybe it is just tinned copper, so I scraped away a bit on the strands and I also clean cut the end, and inspected the wire under well-lighted magnification. There is some copper, and it might even be tinned copper, don't know, but if yes, the coating is not thin at all. Bottom line, per the listing and pic, I expected 100% copper or very close to it. But the percent of copper is clearly significantly lower than that.

The insulation is quite thick and I really liked the light color (it's a cream color) for an RV roof. But due to the copper content issue, I returned it for a refund and bought a different product that did turn out to be 100% copper. Thanks again to everyone who responded to this thread!

ML Solar, ebay

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
pauldub wrote:
I bought mine from these guys. They also sell on eBay. If you want two wire duplex solar cable that is round, check out AM Solar.

The round 10ga duplex from A.M. Solar is premium stuff. UV rated jacket too.

Thanks. Actually, I already ordered the 100 ft length of white cable in your ebay link earlier today. Looks like nice cable. We live in the SW desert and our TT sits in the sun in front of our house, so since it gets so hot here, my preference was white cable. Insulation looks thick in the image, which is generally good, but I wonder if it might be difficult to get MC4 connectors on it due to the apparently thick insulation.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
pauldub wrote:
I bought mine from these guys. They also sell on eBay. If you want two wire duplex solar cable that is round, check out AM Solar.

The round 10ga duplex from A.M. Solar is premium stuff. UV rated jacket too.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
free radical wrote:
Try this guy
DYI Solar with Will Prowse channel on YT

Here's a really good video to watch
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I used a standard extension cord and slathered Heng's rubber roof coating on it. Many solar cables are not as flexible.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Try this guy
DYI Solar with Will Prowse channel on YT

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, pvc conduit from the j box to panels. The pvc stops a few inches under each panel. Not worried about sun damage to the wiring that's shaded and it's easy to pull the wires with those ends being open. Very easy job and it looks very nice. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
You don't really need 8 gauge wire between the panels and the combiner box unless you are going to parallel multiple panels before running to the box because the amperage from each panel isn't so much that there will be much IR drop. You do want big wire between the combiner box and the controller.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks. So what type of connections did you use from the pigtails?
------

MC4 you assemble yourself as in that link earlier about the IQ test getting the sexes right- Hint-- before laying the panel down with its pigtails sticking out, mark the pigtail pos with red tape!! You sometimes can't see the + and - markers after the panel is lying down.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Home Depot will order it in. They have 25 foot lengths.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
crcr wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Recommend this place for high quality solar materials:
AM Solar

x2.

Thanks. Nice looking wire, but two problems with it -- that is 10 gauge -- I'm looking for 8 gauge as mentioned in my last post. And even at that, this 10 gauge roof wire is pricey at $3 a foot plus shipping!

OK, but in your original post you said you were looking for 10 ga.UV protected wire, which is what my link took you to.
P

Correct, but in my second post, still on the first page of the thread, I said I had decided to try to do 8 gauge.