cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on studded tires

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts from the Northern tier folks on a preferred studded tire for a small SUV (Jeep Liberty or similar)

Have to replace the winter tires on the wife's vehicle and, while I have my own experience/biases/preferences, would be interested in any feedback on others' preferred studded tire

....assuming there's anywhere left where such tires are allowed besides Los Anchorage.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN
32 REPLIES 32

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^^ Who cares?
Not what the thread was about.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
I had thought studded tires were banned in most states

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
If studs are allowed where you live, but you intend to travel out of state, check stud restrictions. Some states have outlawed them, other states have restrictions on the dates they can be used.

Washington is outlawing them within a year or two. I don't know what the date it.

If I google it, I'd probably find the date fast.

I wish oregon would as well. roads in the metro areas get chewed up quick starting with the first hint of snow each winter.

Studless tires and/or chains.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Studded tires were illegal for years in Michigan, but I see they are now allowed in the UP.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
If studs are allowed where you live, but you intend to travel out of state, check stud restrictions. Some states have outlawed them, other states have restrictions on the dates they can be used.

Washington is outlawing them within a year or two. I don't know what the date it.

If I google it, I'd probably find the date fast.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions on personal preferences regarding studded/non-studded snow tires are numerous judging by the replies. The one thing that can be agreed upon are the advances in true winter tires and studs over the years.

We lived in snow/ice country for many years in north central BC and good traction on ice and snow was sometimes the difference between life and death. There always seemed not a day went by when you had to travel on steep driveways or icy roads while going to work or transporting kids to their tournaments to towns that were many hours drive away not to mention up the ski hill which steep grade roads were mainly hard packed snow and sometimes ice.

I can remember the first time trying on a set of Blizzaks on our 4x4 Toyota van and being able to zip up our 16% driveway better than old style hard conpound snow tires with minimal problems. That was my first experience with soft rubber, true winter tires. The only down side was that because the winters were fairly long, you only got 2 seasons out of set of Blizzaks.

We now live in the south to where there is less winter but still drive 4000' vertical from our house to the ski hill at least 6 days a week in the winter and many other trips over the mountain passes includding the "Coke" and Coquahalla connector sections of BC roads frequently driving on very icy/slippery sections at high speeds. Our tires of choice are true winter tires with studs on both our F350 4x4 and the AWD Rav4. Truck has Coopers with studs installed at the local dealer and Rav runs a set of Hakkapelitta 9's which has I think 9 rows of factory installed, 3 sided modern studs which provide less damage to roads and incredible grip in every winter condition.

Dangerous winter driving conditions where there is potential for bad accidents includding injuries and death quite often do not include roads with a build up of snow. Most drivers slow down so if there are accidents they tend to be fender benders. Many serious winter accidents however are caused by black ice on a section of highway where motorists are travelling at least the posted speed which is fast for dangerous winter roads. You can't see the thin layer of black ice and the first time you realize that there is black ice on the road is when you start to lose control on a curve or downhill when going the speed limit. By this time it is too late. This is where modern studded snow tires out perform by a wide margin studless tires even with good winter tires.

For my own safety and my families, I can put up with a bit of extra noise for much better handling on potentially hazardous winter roads.

I learned a long time ago from the northern loggers who equiped their pick ups with studded snow tires for their daily drives to work on very treacheous, icy winter haul roads with very few accidents. "Better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them".

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
"Hanging iron" does suck. We worked a job in Big Sky one Winter, at near the top of the ski hill and we had to chain up to get loaded equipment trailers to the job, EVERY TIME. It was miserable, not as miserable as sliding backward down the hill with an excavator on the back miserable, but it sucked never the less.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
True ^. And only people who haven't used chains say things like "Well just chain up when it gets slippery..."

"Well what a little pain in the @ss that is...." lol

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
...and to chime in with Grit Dog's last post, every vehicle in my household (except the Jeep Wrangler) has tire chains as part of the "carried-in-case-of..." equipment commencing about 15-Oct. But having done more than one excursion wherein the DW's car, my truck, and the spare truck all needed to be chained up to get out of the driveway (and then chain-off once on the secondary road), anything that incrementally reduces the need for chains is a win in my book.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input....wasn't meant to start "stud vs. studless" debate, that decision's been made. A not so minor part of the decision is what's most likely to keep the wife either out of the ditch or avoiding calling me for a lift. Even an incremental improvement on that aspect is worth something....
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
colliehauler wrote:
Modern winter tires are what you see around here. No one runs studded tires because of there poor performance on dry pavement. Are highway dept does a good job of keeping the roads in a good condition. They are banned in 11 states and others have restrictions on when they can be used.

And the biggest hill in KS is a freeway overpass....
I've driven through KS and NE in blizzards in 1 wheeler peeler sedans and pickups with whatever tires happened to be on them.
Good discussion points, but some are not considering the climate and topography.
SE AK, the coastal areas are prone to the wet snow and ice in early and late season (and mid season, the more it warms up, up there). Similar conditions to the PNW coastal areas. Add in hills/mountains, and plenty of steep grades, even in town and you may see more need for studs than you think. Now add in if its not just an in town grocery getter, there's more remote areas where service for a tow or a push is not readily available.
Are studs "mandatory"? Nope. Are they preferred by some? Yup. Are they the best traction option on glare ice? Yup. (Save for chains, but chains are a pain in the ____ for daily driving, obviously.)

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Modern stud-less winter tires come very close to studded performance without the noise and pavement wear on dry days
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I am another just a good tire and carry chains guy. Thanks for reminding me to put the chains back in the escape. I gotta go to the garage now.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having lived in the Sierras for thirty plus years, and in New England for another thirty plus years, we've experience plenty of snow. Including driving in snow storms occasionally when necessary.

We've always owned 4x4, and never once used or needed studs in tires.

A properly driven 4x4 will take you anywhere reasonable in the snow as long as you understand snow-driving. And, anyone that chooses a one-wheel drive vehicle should make the safer choice, stay off the snow because studs will not help much. Front-wheel drive acts a bit better in snow, but personal and family safety relies on safe choices in bad weather, not so much studs or no studs.

Aside from road damage, if in the unlikely event, we ever thought we needed studs, we just would not go out in it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic