Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Thoughts on studded tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Thoughts on studded tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any thoughts from the Northern tier folks on a preferred studded tire for a small SUV (Jeep Liberty or similar)

Have to replace the winter tires on the wife's vehicle and, while I have my own experience/biases/preferences, would be interested in any feedback on others' preferred studded tire

....assuming there's anywhere left where such tires are allowed besides Los Anchorage.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

....assuming there's anywhere left where such tires are allowed besides Los Anchorage.

I know some states you must have studded tires removed by a certain date in the spring. If you are in one of those states it may mean buying two sets of tires.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've run studded tires in the past but about 10 years ago switched to studless winter tires. The REAL studless winter tires. The ones that you do not want to run in the summer. There are tires around now with the snowflake on the sidewall that are what I'd call a crossover tire. not near as good in snow/ice as a real studless winter tire.

My experience is that the studless are just as good as studded tires in hardpacked snow and ice, WAY better on wet surfaces, WAY better on dry roads than studded tires and much quiter and don't chew up the roads.

The tread is not as aggresive as some studded tires so they may not be as good as a studded tire in deep snow.

What I do is get a set of wheels for each vehicle and have studless tires mounted on them then mount them when the time comes.

Treadwear on the studless seems to be comparable to what I'd get out of a studded tire, nowhere near the treadlife of a summer tire.
If studs are allowed where you live, but you intend to travel out of state, check stud restrictions. Some states have outlawed them, other states have restrictions on the dates they can be used.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live between Syracuse (125"/yr) and the Tug Hill Plateau (300"/yr) and hardly anyone runs studded tires. You can hear them coming so you always notice when someone has them. As mentioned above, a quality aggressive snow tire is all that's needed.

2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Max Tow

2012 Outback 277RL

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While studded tires were a big help, back in the day, when most everything was rear wheel drive/2WD. Now, in needed areas, almost everything has AWD, 4WD, and many with electronic lock differentials. I almost never even see a real Winter, aggressive snow tire on anything in my area.

A huge stock pile of salt, and other similar use chemicals on the roads/streets another reason most don't use real aggressive tires, studded or not.

Jerry

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=151

Northern Ohio here and can't remember the last time I saw someone running them.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12, I consider the ultimate winter tire (unless the wife only drives paved roads around town and generally waits for the plow trucks to make a pass) to be a studdable mud terrain tire with little to NO factory siping.
Then take said mud tire, have all the inside tread block rows siped as deep as they'll do it (1/2" usually) and leave the outside blocks solid and stud them.
Benefits of snow tire from the siping, benefits of easy tread cleanout due to large void space, benefits of studs (obvious on ice) and benefits of the big mud terrain lugs in softer/deeper snow.

If just driving around town, I'd get the cheapest studdable snow tires you can, punch some studs in em and let er rip!
You already have AWD so you can go 90% of anywhere on normal tires, snows are just better and studs are studs, you're not ice racing.
Save the expensive studs for the snogo when them trails get icy!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My folks get studs in the winters, and they're in their 80's now so it's probably a good idea not only for the ice performance but also so people can hear them coming so they know to get out of the way. I don't bother with dedicated snow tires, just AT tires year round, and that's good enough for our rigs. I recently put Falken Wildpeak AT's on my truck and they have the mountain snowflake symbol on them. I've only had them in snow once so far but they did extremely well - I'd say better than the BFG KO2 tires I had on the truck previously.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

jfritz_drfritz

canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is cold and you have ice nothing beats studs. Suggest Nokian hakkapeliitta 9 SUV. Non studded are ok if you only get snow. The Nokia’s are factory studded and have an air cushion under them so they last a LONG time. I have them on a civic, an f250 and an f450. Other tires I have had include blizzaks, kumho studded something’s, and good year ultra grip ice (in the last 10 years) - none were as good as the nokian - IMHO

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input. We live in Los Anchorage and the dominant condition (for the past several years) is frequent snow followed by warm temps and melting. At best, we get polished ice at intersections; at worst, ice on all the roads.

Having done both, for the Los Anchorage climate, I'd have to give the nod to studded tires over a siped tire and certainly over an all-season...were we in Squarebanks where it stays winter once it decides to be winter, siped or perhaps even an all-season would be better, but in my experience, they just don't work as well for our predominantly ice conditions.

All that being said, my pick-em-up has Blizzaks on it and it does just fine...but the wife has a preference for studs: combining that preference with an arguably better fit for our climate, I'll look into studded options.

Grit....on the sno-go fleet, the one I ride has studs. I haven't yet convinced the GK's or the wife that there's a pretty strong need to be heavy on the throttle to power through curves when driving a studded track. Had one rollover with the oldest grandkid driving, so they're now relegated to the studless machines.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Thoughts on studded tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.