Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Thoughts on studded tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Thoughts on studded tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfritz_drfritz wrote:

If it is cold and you have ice nothing beats studs. Suggest Nokian hakkapeliitta 9 SUV. Non studded are ok if you only get snow. The Nokia’s are factory studded and have an air cushion under them so they last a LONG time. I have them on a civic, an f250 and an f450. Other tires I have had include blizzaks, kumho studded something’s, and good year ultra grip ice (in the last 10 years) - none were as good as the nokian - IMHO

I run numerous sets of the Hap 9's (and previous versions) both studded and stud less versions. I agree that there likely isn't a better dedicated Winter tire. If you research it and read how they do it, it is pretty interesting if your a tire nerd like I am. I live 90 miles from Yellowstone National Park if that gives you an idea of the Winter driving conditions here. Your search for a great Winter tire should start and end with the Nokian. The studs bite better on snow packed icy roads, but the studless are really good without the stud tire issues. These aren't off road blow through snow drift tires, but on a icy snow packed roads they shine.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I have never run the Hakkapeliittas, my wife has the Cooper Evolution Winter tires on her fwd Taurus, and they work better than the Blizzaks IMO. We can get anywhere from 150-200" of snow a year here, so we have something to compare them with. The fwd with winter tires does better than the previous AWD car with all season tires did. I was very surprised by that, and it made me wonder what the AWD would have done with better tires.

We travel too much to deal with studs, but the new winter tires are WAY better than they used to be. I will never buy an all season tire again if I can help it. All season just means they suck at everything, but will usually just get by.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, we barely, if at all, get any snow here but some people get their studded tires put on when legal to do so. I hear those noisy tires while destroying the streets during this time. Five months of excessive noise while ruining the streets for one day of snow. [emoticon]

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Modern winter tires are what you see around here. No one runs studded tires because of there poor performance on dry pavement. Are highway dept does a good job of keeping the roads in a good condition. They are banned in 11 states and others have restrictions on when they can be used.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have made significant improvements in winter tires over the years and many in my area have abandoned studded tires. I stopped using studded tires about 3 years ago and now use Winter tires and carry chains as backup.

Kevin

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Advances in tire technology have made regular winter tires almost as good as studded tires.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not used studs in over 20 years. That included towing a trailer to a local ski area evry weekend from early December to April. Prefer good studless snow tires, chains as a backup and legal only traction device when towing. Do the same for spouses SUV.
Damage to roads is not worth the little extra traction one gets.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

[emoticon] Hi, we barely, if at all, get any snow here but some people get their studded tires put on when legal to do so. I hear those noisy tires while destroying the streets during this time. Five months of excessive noise while ruining the streets for one day of snow. [emoticon]

Haha yeah I’m hearing all the click clacks around here now. It’s like Christmas music that doesn’t stop until April, lol.
Last year being the exception to the rule, had snow/ice on roads for a whole 2-3 weeks.
Was the best commute ever because 90% of the people stayed home or were in the ditch, out of the way, lol.
I will say for folks regularly driving in the cascades, it’s one of the few areas , like PA12 is saying about Anc now that studs are more needed even on AWD vehicles.
Wet snotty cascade concrete is the slickest surface known tires.
For those that don’t understand, think about Zambonis. They don’t use studs because the ice is cold enough that it’s not “as” slippery.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer AWD. However, the 4 wheel drive system, AWD, is awful. We don't get much snow, but the first winter, in 2017, I got stuck twice trying to drive up a hill. When the wheels started to slip, the vehicle basically stopped regardless of how much I pushed on the gas peddle. Basically with AWD, the vehicle only gives power to the wheels with traction. With the stock tires, low profile summer tires, no traction on snow or ice. I ran out and purchased Hancook studded winter tires on wheels 18" in size, since they don't make winter tires for the stock tire size that comes on the vehicle.

I drive all over the NW and over mountain passes and have driven in lots of snow since that first winter. The studded tires make it usable but it is still not a good AWD system and I find the vehicle slipping a lot if I'm not careful. There are different AWD modes and some allow you to spin the tires if you get stuck, like mud mode. This is necessary to drive on snow and ice as the AWD standard mode is basically front wheel drive and not good if you start to slip.

My comment to others is just because a vehicle is AWD or 4WD doesn't mean you are good to go with winter weather. If the vehicle has low profile tires, it's going to be bad on snow and ice. Get winter tires.

My next set will be studless winter tires. Right now we can drive with studs but in the future they will be outlawed. On the coast, you don't know when winter will hit, but when it does, you better be prepared.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having lived in the Sierras for thirty plus years, and in New England for another thirty plus years, we've experience plenty of snow. Including driving in snow storms occasionally when necessary.

We've always owned 4x4, and never once used or needed studs in tires.

A properly driven 4x4 will take you anywhere reasonable in the snow as long as you understand snow-driving. And, anyone that chooses a one-wheel drive vehicle should make the safer choice, stay off the snow because studs will not help much. Front-wheel drive acts a bit better in snow, but personal and family safety relies on safe choices in bad weather, not so much studs or no studs.

Aside from road damage, if in the unlikely event, we ever thought we needed studs, we just would not go out in it.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Thoughts on studded tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.