Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Directv or Dish?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Directv or Dish?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
precioustime

Miami

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beginning to be a full timer in a 34'MH. Presently have Directv at home and in our rv but Directv says we have to have a permanent residence to continue with them. I have a Directv rotating satellite dish on my MH roof. Which company will be the best choice for reception, costs and number of channels available when camping?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Direec TV does have an RV section if you can get to 'em. but... Rumor has it DirecTV may be dropping all satellite serives. I STRESS RUMOR and they are shutting down 101 which is the one most Rooftop and portable "Dome" or "Cube" type antennas love. So you need a dish to get Direct (Tripod or roof mount).

Dish still works with the same band (KU I think but it might be KA) that they have used all along I'd go with Dish if I were to go Sat.

I do use Over the air. 2 DVR's (occaionally 3) and have more TV than hours.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had both. I’m a DISH fan now. They are much more RV friendly.

I have a roof dome that I haven’t used in years. I have a Winegard Pathway X2.

ISO many places we stay have trees so the Pathway allows you to put it where it can get a signal. DISH also has a set of sats called the eastern arc and the western arc which are in different aee red as of the sky. You can pick which set based trees etc.

DISH lets you change locals as you move around. Daily if you want. Their app lets you reauthorize you sat box without calling.

No carryout gets HD on Directv. Not a problem with DISH.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Direec TV does have an RV section if you can get to 'em. but... Rumor has it DirecTV may be dropping all satellite serives. I STRESS RUMOR and they are shutting down 101 which is the one most Rooftop and portable "Dome" or "Cube" type antennas love. So you need a dish to get Direct (Tripod or roof mount).

Dish still works with the same band (KU I think but it might be KA) that they have used all along I'd go with Dish if I were to go Sat.

I do use Over the air. 2 DVR's (occaionally 3) and have more TV than hours.

I don't believe that any information posted above about DTV is correct. There are not even any rumors that would make the above post accurate. DTV is shutting down SD programming, not the 101 satellite. DTV customers using a dome will soon be able to receive HD programming from the 101 satellite but no one is saying which channels will be broadcast.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

precioustime wrote:

Beginning to be a full timer in a 34'MH. Presently have Directv at home and in our rv but Directv says we have to have a permanent residence to continue with them. I have a Directv rotating satellite dish on my MH roof. Which company will be the best choice for reception, costs and number of channels available when camping?

You have to have a permanent "address". So, if you plan to full time you will have some kind of permanent address that you will use for the IRS, banking and other contacts. That's all you need.
If you are going to actually move frequently then you might want to stay with DTV and sign up for the DNS (Distant Network Services) so you can get Network TV channels no matter where you travel. I would suggest that if you like watching TV you should install a Winegard Trav'ler and enjoy the same service in your RV that your receive at home. Domes these days are simply not a good choice (personal opinion of a full timer).
DISH is also a good choice and is a better choice if you plan to use a dome style antenna. You can get all of the DISH programming in HD and when you sign up for a mobile account you can change your local Network programming without "too much" trouble. You just can't use a Hopper or multiple receivers the same way you could with a Trav'ler.

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dish or direct will have virtually the same signal abilities. They use different satellites but no difference in signal quality. As of now direct is limited to big full dish antennas for HD the portables are standard def .. but that is supposed to change .
Dish is very very friendly to rvers and can give you the locals ( ABC NBC CBS pbs ) where you are super easy via call, text or chat. If you have a prepay by month account ( outdoor ) you can do it in your account online with no customer service interaction.
All that and the channels are the same .. with a big difference ... no Sunday Ticket and no HBO on Dish . If those are important, Direct is the only way to go for satellite. Dish has a flex plan that’s 40 bucks and you can add packs to keep cost low. I generally get locals via ota for free included in the dish guide. But if I’m somewhere it’s not possible I can add locals via satellite for 12 bucks / month.
HBO can be had via steaming and as for that matter everything else ( except Sunday Ticket) and you can dump satellite if you are confident you can access fast unlimited internet everywhere. I have streaming options plus Dish tv ... streaming isn’t always available but that has a lot to do with where we travel and we have unlimited att and Verizon hotspots .

* This post was edited 12/06/19 05:13pm by jorbill2or *

Bill

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have had Direct in House and Motorhome for over 20 years....but with all the changes coming up to Direct, I'm going to switch it all over to Dish, starting with the RV first and then the Home set up. Since I've never dealt with Dish, I can't speak badly about them although Direct in recent years have been nothing BUT pains in the Rear end!!! I really am "drinking the Kool aid" in regards to Streaming taking over in the not to distant future....but at the same time, I'll be ready for whatever happens.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had Dish for 3 years and it works well. With the "My Dish" phone app I can change my location to get local news & weather. It works so well I pull it from the RV and use it at home with the mobile antenna on a tripod.

The down side is it does not always download the guild with means you need to manually do it.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Dish For My RV" has worked very well for us full-timing. With the Pathway X2 antenna, you can get both eastern and western satellites which gives you HD locals no matter where you are. Our package (we don't need a bunch of special channels) runs us about $50/month with taxes. We even have a hard drive on the Wally so it serves as a DVR.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

clemdog

Santa Clarita CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Second Chance.
Any particular hard drive for the Wally? Or will any HD work?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Directv or Dish?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.