cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP lengths and Tag Axles

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
So, sorry if this is a stupid question, but it won't be my first, nor my last. So at what point does a DP NEED to have a tag axle? I've been told after 40', but I don't know that for sure. We're at Disney and riding around on their DPs, and they are all single rear axle DP. Then a tour bus pulls up and it's a few feet longer but has a tag. Is there a "rule" or is it just about the weight?

Al
9 REPLIES 9

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Axles are weight limited which is the main factor.

Until around 2002 most DPs could carry the necessary weight on a single rear axle. That’s when multiple slides, tile floors, bigger engines and trannies push the weight over 20,000 lbs and a 10K tag axle was added.
Up until 2012 the weight limit was 20,000 lbs on a single axle but a highway bill changed it to 23K for buses and RVs making it possible to have 42’ DPs on a single rear axle.

Once you’ve on the tag axle, you’ll never go back to a non-tag because of the vastly improved handling and almost unlimited CCC.

There are some exceptions to that 23,000 lb limit. As an example, The Pennsylvania turnpike has a one axle limit of 22,400lb. And they will turn you back for very minor infractions.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckftboy wrote:
There are plenty of 41 foot motorhomes aroumd that don't have a tag, larger are generally tags. Buses don't generally have a lot of weight other than people and if they are locally used there isn't much need to have a tag so I could imagine there are some pretty long single axle buses out ther.e

No weight other than people? LOL. 10 tons is a big load for a single axle truck. Most would be overloaded on the back axle with 6-8 tons. And I bet for the same length bus will be heavier than the truck. In today's America, pick 10 adults at random, you are over a ton. And I would be surprised if you sample came out of average adult bus riders 8 didn't break the ton. Then add their luggage. And unlike freight, people can't be stacked high in the nose to reduce weight on the rear.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of 41 foot motorhomes aroumd that don't have a tag, larger are generally tags. Buses don't generally have a lot of weight other than people and if they are locally used there isn't much need to have a tag so I could imagine there are some pretty long single axle buses out ther.e
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:

Until around 2002 most DPs could carry the necessary weight on a single rear axle. That’s when multiple slides, tile floors, bigger engines and trannies push the weight over 20,000 lbs and a 10K tag axle was added.
Up until 2012 the weight limit was 20,000 lbs on a single axle but a highway bill changed it to 23K for buses and RVs making it possible to have 42’ DPs on a single rear axle.

Once you’ve on the tag axle, you’ll never go back to a non-tag because of the vastly improved handling and almost unlimited CCC.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
No real rule on what length needs a tag. My 40 is non tag and my friends 38 is tag

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need is based upon weight and not length.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
In California a tag axle (total three) limits your maximum legal speed to 55.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Generally over 40 foot you’ll find a tag axle.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer