cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No more full size cars from GM

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
February 28 2020 GM will shut down the plant that produces the Impala, Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT-6 and retool the plant to build electric pickups.
65 REPLIES 65

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Well I think I am done buying "cars" just because I can't handle the ridiculously bright headlights everyone has now.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Reisender wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
"Retool to build electric pickups"

Where's this so-called "electric pickup" that they are retooling for?

Depending on who you believe about 3 years away. GM currently has no real battery capacity. The bolts are essentially Korean made and assembled in the US. And only a couple thousand per month. They are apparently planning a Giga type factory for battery production. My guess is 2024 for production ramp up.

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Coโ€™s (GM.N) first electric pickup truck model will go on sale in the fall of 2021, the companyโ€™s top executive said.

I think that Reisender has his T glasses on and is in denial.

Actually I stand corrected. Thatโ€™s quite encouraging. I thought it was dependant on production of their Giga factory type battery facility.

Thanks for posting.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:

Depending on who you believe about 3 years away. GM currently has no real battery capacity. The bolts are essentially Korean made and assembled in the US. And only a couple thousand per month. They are apparently planning a Giga type factory for battery production. My guess is 2024 for production ramp up.

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Coโ€™s (GM.N) first electric pickup truck model will go on sale in the fall of 2021, the companyโ€™s top executive said.

I think that Reisender has his T glasses on and is in denial.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
trail-explorer wrote:

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
We were looking at sedans recently but found them too low and too hard to get in and out of. We bought a Toyota Highlander SUV and problem solved.
Sold all three of our cars last Summer. All of them were in very nice shape but they were just too hard to get in and out of anymore. Replaced them with a new Toyota Highlander also. Very, very happy with our decision. Plus it has a lot of safety features we didn't have before like blind spot monitor, adaptive cruise control, backup camera and more. Rides better than our old Grand Marquis, gets better mileage, more comfortable seats, more interior room, better visibility, more power. Should have done this years ago.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Physically larger engines need physically larger hoods to cover them?

Well, in line 6 needs more hood length.

Well, starting in the mid '60s some model/engine combinations where getting tight to work on. (One Saturday morning I drove a station wagon to brothers body shop. Had key to feed watchdogs. I pulled a barely running El-Camino in, removed the engine. Hooked a chain to both trailer hitches to lead Ellie out and up the hill. Backed the little trailer in to load old engine, parked it out of the way. Pulled wagon in, lifted engine out, pushed wagon out, and down the street. Rolled Ellie in, bolted good engine in place. Not in a hurry, taking time for a couple of joints and beers, less than 4 hours, shop cleaned up, towing the old engine to car wash to start rebuild. I did haul the hood in bed to a friend, need more than 2 hands to put it back on.) By the mid '70s, changing the plugs on most took many wrench changes. Now, even a V6 can be a PITA.

Maybe need to lay off the joints? Or get a newer car/truck.
Literally every gas engine car/truck that I've done a tune up on in the last 15 years or so has been an absolute breeze to change plugs on.
Quick list:
SRT8 Charger
4.6 Mustang GT
Chevy HHR
Nissan Versa
5.0 Coyote F150
2001 Tahoe
2001 Ram 1500 360
1992 Roadmaster
1997 Z71 Chevy

That's all I can think of right now.

Agree, emissions cr@p got in the way in the 70's/80's. (They looked like under the hood of a new Powerstroke, lol)
But by the 90s they began to clear out again under the hood. Today's gas burners are as simple or simpler to work on than some of the old iron.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobertRyan wrote:
GM has stopped selling the Commodore Sedan in Australia
Holden announces retirement of Commodore model

Holden has announced it will discontinue the production of the Commodore just two years after closing its Adelaide factory to import rebadged European cars. Holden said an increased demand for SUV models led to the discontinuation of the popular vehicle. Commodore sales attracted more than 90,000 buyers at its peak, but sales recently slid to below 10,000. Demand for the once-popular vehicle has continued to plummet by 35 per cent in 2019. Image: Getty

Noone cares....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
NJRVer wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptUrQOMPs

Not sure why you keep referring to engine size.
Those old engines were giant boat anchors when you compare their size and weight to HP out put.

Dude, check yourself. I never said anything about engines, actually nobody did, except you...in the entire thread, lol.

And there's a couple people here to bicker w you about garage size, complaining about the dinky garages on their new houses. News flash to both parties. You can get many houses with small, virtually useless garages now, just like back in the day. They're called tract homes...

And IDK wth the random video was for?? To show that a car 40 years newer has more safety features?
To show engine size?
Size of vehicle?
Why sedans are going extinct?...Hahaha

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
GM has stopped selling the Commodore Sedan in Australia
Holden announces retirement of Commodore model

Holden has announced it will discontinue the production of the Commodore just two years after closing its Adelaide factory to import rebadged European cars. Holden said an increased demand for SUV models led to the discontinuation of the popular vehicle. Commodore sales attracted more than 90,000 buyers at its peak, but sales recently slid to below 10,000. Demand for the once-popular vehicle has continued to plummet by 35 per cent in 2019. Image: Getty

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
NJRVer wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
What is better? A car with padded bumpers, or a car with a driver or other avoidance system that does not hit pedestrians?

Or what's better a car that has an angular bumper that would tend to flip you up and over or a flat "wall that would knock you down and then run over you?

Regardless, if you're the pedestrian you're not getting away without at least some broken knees...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
NJRVer wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

Well, starting in the mid '60s some model/engine combinations where getting tight to work on. (One Saturday morning I drove a station wagon to brothers body shop. Had key to feed watchdogs. I pulled a barely running El-Camino in, removed the engine. Hooked a chain to both trailer hitches to lead Ellie out and up the hill. Backed the little trailer in to load old engine, parked it out of the way. Pulled wagon in, lifted engine out, pushed wagon out, and down the street. Rolled Ellie in, bolted good engine in place. Not in a hurry, taking time for a couple of joints and beers, less than 4 hours, shop cleaned up, towing the old engine to car wash to start rebuild. I did haul the hood in bed to a friend, need more than 2 hands to put it back on.) By the mid '70s, changing the plugs on most took many wrench changes. Now, even a V6 can be a PITA.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
What is better? A car with padded bumpers, or a car with a driver or other avoidance system that does not hit pedestrians?

Or what's better a car that has an angular bumper that would tend to flip you up and over or a flat "wall that would knock you down and then run over you?

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote: