Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: No more full size cars from GM
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> No more full size cars from GM

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take a 1400 mile round trip three or four times a year in our 2016 Taurus 3.5 non-boost. 80-85 MPH when possible across Texas, it gets 29 mpg.
It's my daily driver, 40 miles to work & back. It gets 29 mpg. I can get higher mpg if I hyper-mile, but that irritates people behind me.

I love the big trunk and comfortable bucket seats.

Prior to this car, I had a 2005 Ford Five Hundred. And guess what? It got 29 mpg.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They want to build what sells, and full size sedans are not it. No surprise...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camilllit wrote:

They have not made true luxury automobiles for many years, they've been trying to imitate European cars. I would order tomorrow, in a heartbeat, another 1979 Cadillac Coupe DeVille De'Elegance.

Roflmao. I grew up driving enough hand me down anemic 70s models big block turds to know that the above statement is false. Only worse cars than late 70s models were 80s anything!

Umm I see a chit load of new/newer luxury sedans on the road. Have only one example in the garage actually. SRT8 Charger baby!!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

We were looking at sedans recently but found them too low and too hard to get in and out of. We bought a Toyota Highlander SUV and problem solved.

Common concern as one gets, umm, more “weathered” in life.
Towards end of days, my grandma preferred riding in dads pickup vs her “true luxury” sedan, a 76 Deville.
As mom and her bf aged, they drove the Z71 much more than the Roadmaster. Same reason.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camilllit wrote:

I would order tomorrow, in a heartbeat, another 1979 Cadillac Coupe DeVille De'Elegance.
I bought a brand new 1975 Pontiac Grand Prix for $7,000. I loved that car... rode like a cloud.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

We were looking at sedans recently but found them too low and too hard to get in and out of. We bought a Toyota Highlander SUV and problem solved.

Common concern as one gets, umm, more “weathered” in life.
Towards end of days, my grandma preferred riding in dads pickup vs her “true luxury” sedan, a 76 Deville.
As mom and her bf aged, they drove the Z71 much more than the Roadmaster. Same reason.
Very common issue. My sister traded off her Buick LaCrosse on a new GMC Canyon for ease of entrance and egress. I've owned pickups most of my life. My last car was a 79 El Camino SS 350 with 4sp manual.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up on muscle cars in the 60's and 70's. My dad drove Caprices and Olds 88's. I would rather drive just about any car built after 2000 than one of the old vehicles. Most of them were lucky to get 100,000 miles on them before they were junk. My dad's 74 Caprice got a whopping 12 mpg average with 15 on a good day on the highway.
I get more HP and a better ride out of my F150. By the way, my 2011 F150 has 190,000 miles on it and it runs great. We towed a TT over 7000 miles this fall and averaged 13 mpg including a majority of our driving being in the Rockies.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danrclem wrote:

I'm going to buy a vehicle soon and the Taurus is on the short list. The majority of my driving would be short trips without many traffic light stops. To the guys that have them what do you think the mileage would be on three mile trips?

I've been considering a mid-size just because of the mileage but really don't want to.

DW gets 22-24 to work and back. It is not far. but is stop and go. IMOP. you cannot do better than a Taurus. It is actually on the Lincoln platform. Just did a 1100 mile round trip. Couldn't ask for a better ride. GPS works great, and you don't have to pay for a service to use it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

I just read that the domestic automakers consider the SUV body style to permanently replace the sedan. People like the upright seating and better visibility in the SUV, plus more cargo capacity.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

drsteve wrote:

I just read that the domestic automakers consider the SUV body style to permanently replace the sedan. People like the upright seating and better visibility in the SUV, plus more cargo capacity.

The SUV is the station wagon of the 21st century.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> No more full size cars from GM
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.