cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baltimore area campground

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Daughter starts teaching at Johns Hopkins next summer. Can anyone suggest a good campground in the area. Don't feel like traveling from Cherry Hill.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD
18 REPLIES 18

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
I don't think that I have ever been across that bridge when something has not been happening to it.

Lucky me, my arrival & departure days for BWI are usually midweek & I have the choice of when to cross while dragging the house behind us. Being on the Shore side is a good thing. A whole nuther world over there. The further away from 50 you are the further you go back in time.

When you get down to Tillmans (think I've seen pictures of yours there) you are almost in another Country:)

Funny - have been traveling across that two lane bridge for years and then the other triple lane thing almost my entire life - always just could breath slower once we landed on the other side (Shore) now that we've moved here it is so relaxing - just like Lower Slower Delaware:)

Been trying to get the state to do a study on the lower bridge for 40 years - they sure move so slowly on any real solutions.

We've been flying back and forth to Colorado getting in at midnight to 1 in the am - bridge is usually down to two lanes and very little traffic at between 2-3 in the AM - just so easy before 5.

But the closure of that one lane sure makes the summer trafic seem to last later in the year.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think that I have ever been across that bridge when something has not been happening to it.

Lucky me, my arrival & departure days for BWI are usually midweek & I have the choice of when to cross while dragging the house behind us. Being on the Shore side is a good thing. A whole nuther world over there. The further away from 50 you are the further you go back in time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:
Busskipper wrote:

Millersville KOA will likely be the easiest, but the Patapsco State Park is also almost close, not sure how the services are.

Congrats on the Daughter new Job - JHU and the Hospital are in different areas - Both are not an easy drive until you understand the traffic.

Best of Luck,

Agree with Busskipper about traffic. Suspect you will visit your daughter at her home and not at work. May or may not be easier.

Also agree with avoiding going over to the Eastern Shore. The Bay Bridge is being rehabilitated on the westbound span (maybe I did something wrong when I worked on the original construction in 1971?). Traffic delays are unpredictable.

We've stayed Merry Meadows. A little pricey and some unusual rules but very nice place.

So your the one who screwed up the bridge so I am now "STUCK on the SHORE" really only bad when need to see the granddaughters ๐Ÿ™‚

They are finally talking about a new bridge - sure hope it goes in down by Solomons and the Gas Docks. This area cannot handle any more traffic.

:S
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

Millersville KOA will likely be the easiest, but the Patapsco State Park is also almost close, not sure how the services are.

Congrats on the Daughter new Job - JHU and the Hospital are in different areas - Both are not an easy drive until you understand the traffic.

Best of Luck,

Agree with Busskipper about traffic. Suspect you will visit your daughter at her home and not at work. May or may not be easier.

Also agree with avoiding going over to the Eastern Shore. The Bay Bridge is being rehabilated on the westbound span (maybe I did something wrong when I worked on the original construction in 1971?). Traffic delays are unpredictable.

We've stayed Merry Meadows. A little pricey and some unusual rules but very nice place.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Romer1 wrote:
Daughter starts teaching at Johns Hopkins next summer. Can anyone suggest a good campground in the area. Don't feel like traveling from Cherry Hill.

Map with area parks

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

doghouseman
Explorer
Explorer
You might know this already but Hopkins is right in the heart of Baltimore and it is not in a great part of town. I am not sure what the other students do, I am not sure if a lot live in town, or in another part of town. Given a choice, I would not live close to Hopkins.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
We always stayed at Merry Meadows in Freeland and liked the large Flagpole sites as being at altitude and relatively isolated.
This makes sense if Johns Hopkins is on the north side of town. You don't want to have to drive thru/around Baltimore at any time.

All in all Merry Meadows is not a bad option.
I agree it's on the right side of town and a direct shot to Hopkins.
One thing not mentioned I assume we are talking Johns Hopkins University vs. the hospital

Correct, she's a professor of philosophy.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dick_B wrote:
We always stayed at Merry Meadows in Freeland and liked the large Flagpole sites as being at altitude and relatively isolated.
This makes sense if Johns Hopkins is on the north side of town. You don't want to have to drive thru/around Baltimore at any time.

All in all Merry Meadows is not a bad option.
I agree it's on the right side of town and a direct shot to Hopkins.
One thing not mentioned I assume we are talking Johns Hopkins University vs. the hospital
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
2chiefsRus wrote:
that is a tough area to find a good campground without a lot of traffic to get to Johns Hopkins. If you are retired or active duty military, Aberdeen Proving Ground has a great campground as well as Ft. Meade. Otherwise Abingdon is probably your best bet. Be careful going downtown to Johns Hopkins.

Agree. We have a bunch of grandkids in the area and stay at Aberdeen Proving Ground all the time - great place. It's hard to get away from Baltimore traffic no matter where you are, though.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Are you looking for a long term spot for your daughter to live? Or somewhere short term for you to visit?

The options presented above are mostly all excellent (sorry, but anywhere in DE is too far for me). But not all allow long term spots.

Just to visit. She's not sure where she's going to be living yet.
Thanks for all the replies.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
that is a tough area to find a good campground without a lot of traffic to get to Johns Hopkins. If you are retired or active duty military, Aberdeen Proving Ground has a great campground as well as Ft. Meade. Otherwise Abingdon is probably your best bet. Be careful going downtown to Johns Hopkins.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The next generation has taken over at Merry Meadows. They changed the name probably to hide the fact that it had terrible reviews before they took over. We stayed there to visit our daughter while she was at McDaniel and never went back.
I have never seen so many rules in my life. Every time someone did something they didn't like they made a sign about it. There was even one sign about the size of an old wooden coat rack standing on a empty concrete pad and it read something to the effect of no playing, dancing only. That one made me laugh out loud, like 3 year olds can read.
Hopefully it's better now, the location is good for the OP.
Puma 30RKSS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for a long term spot for your daughter to live? Or somewhere short term for you to visit?

The options presented above are mostly all excellent (sorry, but anywhere in DE is too far for me). But not all allow long term spots.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)