cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

senior pass

F450
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading in the AARP magazine that the us government is talking about limiting the use of the senior passes at high use times. Has anyone heard about that?
81 REPLIES 81

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We're pretty far from the original topic.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I am going to ask you folks to stop and think for a minute.

I keep reading posts from political propagandists (Polite term for liars) about how Illegal Immigrants are taking our social security benefits.

Now To Qualify for SS benefits you need to have an SS number. If you are Illegal you do not have an SS number so already you can't get 'em.

Then you need to pay in. under that SS number. for 40 quarters (ten years).

Once you do that you can get SS... But illegals may well pay in but (Under a false SS number.. they do not verify on incoming) but when it comes time to collect benefits. No Valid SS = No Benefits.

So how they gonna collect?

Maybe you should read this.

I have a very limited education, but when I read the link I see reference to legal immigrants.
If the politicians of either party wanted to stop illegal immigration it could be done in less than 6 weeks, with no change in laws, and a total net budget of couple million dollars.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

I keep reading posts from political propagandists (Polite term for liars) about how Illegal Immigrants are taking our social security benefits.

Now To Qualify for SS benefits you need to have an SS number. If you are Illegal you do not have an SS number so already you can't get 'em.

Once you do that you can get SS... But illegals may well pay in but (Under a false SS number.. they do not verify on incoming) but when it comes time to collect benefits. No Valid SS = No Benefits.

Maybe you should read this.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:

NO! Somebody expecting people to think?
Most of my life I have assumed most people are honest, and only a few are criminals, and a few others should not be tempted to much. And I thought the dishonest where the most likely to think others will take advantage of them. But lately I have come to the conclusion the dishonest is a much higher percentage than I thought.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
At the risk of opening a can of worms and even mentioning AARP, I feel that I must. I was recently told that AARP is going to put their foot forward to stop this action from taking place.
Be it good or bad, I just had to mention it.
Don't shoot the messenger.

The article states they are going to lobby against it. I will be 62 in January (and immediately purchasing my lifetime pass) and personally could care less one way or the other which way this goes. Even at full price the NP camgrounds are one of the best deals going.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Wa8yxm

I think they may be referring to Social Services not Social Security. If so they are correct.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the risk of opening a can of worms and even mentioning AARP, I feel that I must. I was recently told that AARP is going to put their foot forward to stop this action from taking place.
Be it good or bad, I just had to mention it.
Don't shoot the messenger.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Off the rails is right. The increase to $80 was done under the prior administration. The current discussion is about restricting the camping discount at certain parks / times of years. Not restricting seniors from visiting a park when they choose.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
Our government can give freebies to people that never contributed to this country or to illegals,so they can give a discount to those of us who worked hard and served our country.

Just to educate me, can you tell me exactly what federal benefits our government is giving to illegal immigrants?

It is not only benefits. According to DOJ there are 55,000 illegals in federal prisons,235,000 in state and local prisons. That is a huge cost prosecuting,housing them,paying for medical care,defense lawyers etc. Keeping some of them in detention centers while awaiting hearings. Since most don't have health care ,they go to hospital emergency rooms and don't pay.Their kids go to our schools.They are eligible for some programs for kids like WIC. It is estimated on average all these things cost about $118 million a year.

Twenty-six states make immigrants eligible for state-funded benefit programs. Most of these states either offer assistance to families or provide access to healthcare to otherwise uninsured immigrants. Examples of these programs are New Yorkโ€™s Safety Net Assistance, Californiaโ€™s CalFresh Food Assistance Program, and Californiaโ€™s Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI).

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will always thank, welcome home, and apologize to any returning vet or anybody in the service. OTOH, I will not disparage the work done, or the risk taken by the clerk at 7-11.

joegray
Explorer
Explorer
As a Canadian I have always bought a Interagency pass for the National Parks. It costs me $80 US for a year,thats about $110 Cdn, is it worth it,Yes. We have traveled through the southwest and northwest, going through most of the NP in those areas. They are beautiful places to visit and to stay. Is a $110 a year lot of money. No, not when a have a $100,000 vehicle unit and spend at least $100 on fuel and camping per DAY. Do I save money on this pass, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well ... some of you folks may have to think about it a bit to get the connection to this discussion thread, but take some time to read up on and comtemplate what the common cultural characteristics are in the world's Blue Zones.

What the younger folks think of, and how they treat, their elderly in these areas might be an eye opener as to how it relates to a better life for all.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Jack Spratt wrote:
Another vet here.
Incredible that someone can equate working at a 7-11 with military service.
Let me guess how much skin you have in the game.

Thanks for the support. I was beginning to believe that I was the only one that was bothered by this.

It was such a stupid statement, I didn't think anyone would take it seriously. But you all have my support on that as well fwiw.