Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: senior pass
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> senior pass

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about this as a solution.

Eliminate all discounted passes as everyone in the USA feels they have contributed in some form or another to everything they feel they are entitled too. By eliminating theses entitlement passes, everyone is equal, everyone pays equally, everyone can complain equally.

I have both the Senior and Access pass. If they were taken away from me, whoppdy-do. It won't stop me from visiting. I probably donate more to the National Park Foundation than all the entrance fees I didn't have to pay or all the discounts I received. Gimme-Gimme-Gimme, the cry of the baby boomers!

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to avoid religion and politics here but this one statement applies to both equally.

If you are in a room and the man standing up front "preaching" to the faithful, be it a church or a political rally or another type of meeting. and he's preaching: Those people are just animals, and those people do not deserve to live, and those people should just starve to death, and those people should just die.

YOU ARE IN THE WRONG ROOM.

For the commandment is to Love thy Neighbor.
And when it comes to Police, Fire, Military and so on.

Well it is written that No Greater Love has any man than to lay down his life for a friend.

And though that is in the Bible. it's not true.. because Police, Fire, Military and the like. lay their lives on the line for people they do not even know.. Myself included. and for that reason folks.. And that is perhaps an even greater love.. And the commandment is to love they neighbor.

And before you ask EVERYBODY is your neighbor.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the posts where someone says "I don't want to start a political debate, but let me make one snide political remark here and don't reply to it."

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my pass, I understood it to be a contract. A payment against future use of services/goods.

That said, I am reminded of the scene in Star Wars where Vader says "I have altered the deal. Pray that I don't alter it more." (or something like that)

RVman3252

Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

I would be OK with using my pass only on weekdays in very high-use parks. In fact, I usually avoid public campgrounds on weekends anyway.

we are the same way...

RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

When I bought my pass, I understood it to be a contract. A payment against future use of services/goods.

That said, I am reminded of the scene in Star Wars where Vader says "I have altered the deal. Pray that I don't alter it more." (or something like that)

And there are still those who wonder why most of us hate the government and politicians. A private company reneging on an agreement would end up in court or out of business.

It has gotten to the point where most visitors to the National Parks are foreigners so cheating seniors is really not likely to make much difference except for those of us who are seniors.

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

It has gotten to the point where most visitors to the National Parks are foreigners so cheating seniors is really not likely to make much difference except for those of us who are seniors.

Now that is the truth!!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid for my future retirement and health care for half a century, then I was told the deal was altered. If one wants to get bent about something, find bigger items than a park entrance fee.

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

RGar974417 wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

I can make a case for "duty and honor" in almost all professions. Heck, the guy who drives the trash truck fulfills a duty of keeping our cities and towns free of garbage.

And if there was an explosive hidden under one of the streets this guy was collecting garbage on, then this would be a reasonable comparison.
The clerk at the local 7-11 risks being shot by a crack head every day all the interest of selling someone a Slurpee. Do they deserve a discount for their service? A good friend of mine was electrocuted and permanently disabled while working as a lineman for the power company. I can make a very good case that his service (keeping the power on) is a much greater need than a peacekeeping force in Afghanistan. Does everyone who works for the utility companies deserve special discounts?

Both fishing and logging have higher death rates than military service. And over that last 40 years only in 5 years were the deaths in military service higher for combat than for accidental deaths. That means even in military service you are more likely to die or be injured by a bad driver than a bomb.
I guess that over the years the number of people who claim to deserve special treatment has jaded me. I am tired of every group claiming they deserve special treatment because what they chose to do is somehow special. My solution is to treat everyone the same. And isn't equality the fundamental value the founders of this country used to justify it's existence? For those of you who have forgot, the first line of the Declaration of Independence goes: "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal". No mention of special groups or services.

Hallelujah. Well said.

Treat everyone the same? My 95 year old Uncle was part of the invasion force on Okinawa in 1945.Next time we are attacked you go.

I did go, did you?

When I went I was not thinking about discounted campsite fees or 80 cents off of a $5 breakfast.
Yes. I am a veteran too.Navy, February 70 to February 74. I wasn't thinking of getting a discount either. But when I get one,I appreciate it. I will be 68 in a few weeks.Like I said I never took anything up until this time. But this is one discount I can use and appreciate Our government can give freebies to people that never contributed to this country or to illegals,so they can give a discount to those of us who worked hard and served our country.If you don't want it,don't take it.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RGar974417 wrote:

Our government can give freebies to people that never contributed to this country or to illegals,so they can give a discount to those of us who worked hard and served our country.

Just to educate me, can you tell me exactly what federal benefits our government is giving to illegal immigrants?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> senior pass
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.