Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish us luck, pray for the marriage

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
My longest vacation EVER is coming up.

It's a destination vacation, three locations. Two days to get there, four to get home (as needed).

Three weeks in a 192 RBS. It was kind of an accidental spur of the moment purchase, but we're trying to decide if we want to stay small or step up to a full time 5th wheel (part time travel).

Retirement is 2 to 3 years away for me. I'm an obsessed project guy, people laugh at all the mods I've already done to the 192 🙂 May need a bigger trailer for bigger projects.
11 REPLIES 11

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
2.5 weeks into this trip and we're still happily married.

Did I mention all the stuff in the trailer?

We finally looked at a front kitchen 5th wheel, and firming it up even more we will end up with one.

First week stop wasn't as good as we had hoped. There were some issues I chose to not address with management. I may follow-up at a later date. It was interesting.

Second week, somebody there wasn't thinking. They created these RV "pods" where they actually believed they could cram in TEN, yes TEN, NY skyscrapper 5th wheel and Class A's. That works up until everybody parks whatever orientation they care to park. On my pod, we had 3 Class A, 1 5th, and 2 tiny TT, and it was jammed. On a more remote pod, on class A literally parked sideways in front of the pod and nobody else could use it. That one was set for 4 spots.

I don't like narrow bridges in rural GA.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still surviving 🙂 I did snap a little bit at all the stuff in the trailer. Literally couldn't move. If I had the time, I'd still be afraid to weigh the trailer :).

9 hours of driving 1st day. Stayed in a friends garage with full hookup! I was definitely ready to get out of the truck, great seeing them again.

8 hours driving the second day. Made a huge mistake leaving his town, the route he recommended and the GPS agreed was beautiful. It was a pleasure driving that route... however, I forgot to fill the tank as we left 😞 Luckily the large tank saved my rear!

First time I've ever set up on unlevel soft sand. I have curved leveling "blocks". Not really happy as it almost fell off the front jack lifting block. It's stable now, but not happy with it. Will likely buy lego blocks when we get back.

Just to keep my projects going, I bought a 5.1 sound bar for the park model and installed the 2.1 in the TT. Even permanently mounted the 2.1 speaker 🙂

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife's job and family issues have limited our ability to travel much at all. We love the campground where the park model is, quick easy weekend getaways. In fact, we like it so much we're putting up a new park model.

Our last parent (her dad, she was his guardian for several years) passed last week. Her doc has told her she's done working, SSDI paperwork is in process. This has us really talking about our next move(s). If she gets the SSDI and in two years is eligible for medicare, that makes it a lot easier for me to retire early.

Literally, two days after her dad passed, we booked a two week cruise in 2021, and considering a two week pacific island cruise in 2023. May have to work a bit longer for that one 🙂

We're getting a bit stoked for this trip. House is completely trashed with "stuff". We're traveling to our park model for an event saturday and leaving from there. Taking 21 gallons of home RO drinking water. May have to put that and our canning jars inside until we are ready to leave. Supposed to be pretty cold over night. May not be n my best interest to add water to holding tank. We'll see what the actual temp is in the morning.

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a 63 day trip across the country to see the colors in New England, Boston, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, St. Augustine, New Orleans, San Antonio and home. On the last day, I told my wife how quickly the trip seemed to go. She agreed and then said "and we are still talking to each other".

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago my wife and I did a 25 day trip to the Yukon in a 17 foot Hybrid. We really enjoyed the trip and survived each other:)

I was keeping a list "Of things I learned" on this trip and DW added a larger trailer to the list. So that was my cue:) We bought a 25 foot TT. Love it!!!!
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Youll be fine. We've done a month in a 186 with a Large Dog. Only complaint was when 1 of us needed a nap, it was hard for the other to be quiet unless s/he left the TT.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve done it, and my wife and I moved UP to a 192RBS! It all depends on your RV’ing style, we use the tt as a base for sight seeing. We spend very little time in the tt, we would rather be enjoying the outdoors.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first wife died. On my second marriage, I made sure we liked each other, BEFORE we decided to marry (the experiment lasted about 10 years, then we had a small wedding, withot planning). And, before we tried fulltiming we agreed to quit if one of us decided fulltiming was not for us. Now, we both enjoy RVing, but not fulltiming. And, no more hectic trips. I have a couple of man caves, namely a 1,000 sq ft garage and a 40 ft MH (which we share). We also share a stick/brick house. It takes a lot to save a marriage.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
After years away from the RV lifestyle, we bought a 20' TT, after a few short trips, we spent two and a half weeks touring New Mexico. Had a great time. Got us back into RVing, To the tune of a 35' fiver. Waiting for the wife to retire then really start traveling.
So yeah..it can happen.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If you've survived the projects (or house projects) as a married couple then the vacation should be fine. Hope you built a man cave, though, just in case! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
In between obsessing the details and sweating the small stuff, don't forget to enjoy the ride and so to smell the flowers... With the better half of course.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.