Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Pin Box again Moryde vs Trailair
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pin Box again Moryde vs Trailair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Knowing ACTUAL weights and airing tires to those weights will eliminate another possible reason for Chucking.

Not sure what's hard to understand about this.

I understand, It looks like its just the opposite, discounting the MorRyde. Its probably, as said the single most effective way to improve or eliminate chucking.

It seems the general consensus here is the MorRyde, no one seems to be interested in debating air pressures. As said , if I had to guess most run max air pressure on their rear tires when towing these heavier fifth wheels. . Although I run a SRW 3500 my tires are inflated to their max weight rating on the rear. I have done this for the past 14 years with three different fifth wheels, three different hitches ,and two different trucks, and the ride has been smooth. Tires wear evenly etc etc .

If there is something to this inflation thing on the rears, and the OP wants to try it, I am sure he will. If the MorRyde does what it is advertised to do, I think this will be the end of it .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gitane59 wrote:

Three trips ago I replaced my solid pinbox with a Mor-Ryde pinbox for severe chucking concern's. On all but the worst overpass expansion joint's the improvement is dramatic. We have a DRW truck running 80psi in the front tires and 65psi in the rear wheels and 40 psi in Firestone airbags. The airbags have always controlled the vertical shock's and now I can definitely say the Mor-Ryde pinbox cushions the horizontal forward/aft motion shock.

If I were to buy a new truck I would invest in a Trailer Saver TS3 hitch but still likely have a Mor-Ryde pinbox

I too run 30-40 psi in my rear air bags on my SRW, although I don't know any difference with the present fifth wheel with the MorRyde , I have no chucking , sure we will get on some roads for a brief stretch where things get a little bumpy, but will smooth out .

Fifth wheel suspension can cause some issues, my bad, I let the shear springs on the MorRyde LRE go too long . Fifth wheel rode pretty rough at times ,with the new shear springs all is well.
With just over 3K on the pin, never felt like I needed any additional help with the ride. IMO aftermarket air bags do a great job with that. I would have to say with conventional rear springs , and addition of after market air bags , I can't see where its not doing pretty much the same thing as an air ride hitch, same principle . Bouncing on air bags .

* This post was edited 12/10/19 10:23am by cummins2014 *

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a MorRyde pinbox in an attempt to correct my chucking problem. It does nothing to solve this problem but does seem to absorb or dampen the the forward and back jerking motion felt over bumps or dips in the road. The chucking in my rig is definitely better but I'm still not happy with it. Good luck and let us know if you find a remedy.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused, I have always thought chucking is the forward, and backward motion.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

I'm confused, I have always thought chucking is the forward, and backward motion.

You are correct. Many on this forum think chucking is just hitch noise. The trailer generates fore/aft motions when it goes over bumps. All trailers are different and the amount of chucking forces vary. When you are bouncing off the seat backs and your wife has to hold her chest, you know you have a chucking problem.

Some blame chucking on a hitch and suggest hitches that don't chuck. If the hitch caused chucking it would be evident when the trailer isn't hooked up. It isn't, the trailer generates the chucking forces.

There are ways to make trailers chuck less like better axle equalization, trailer shocks, and loading. There are also design implications like length and mass placement that cannot be corrected. One tactic is to harden the rear suspension on the truck (via air bags) to keep the trailer from pushing down and, at the same time, not pushing forward. This works but is hard on both the truck and trailer.

There are two basic types of hitches and pin boxes. There are solid hook-up styles that transmit all the trailer generated forces to the frame of the truck. There are soft joint styles that convert trailer generated forces into heat and dissipate them (air hitches, MorRyde, air pin boxes). These devices don't stop chucking forces, they just make sure they don't reach your seat back.

The thought of airing down the trucks tires seems absurd to me. Think about it. The trailer pushes forward on the pin box, the pin box is securely attached to the hitch, the hitch is securely attached to the frame of the truck which is attached to your seats. Why would airing down the tires help as they are totally removed from the energy path? If anything, sidewall compliance could cause the trailer to push further down and, at the same time, push further forward making chucking worse.

There are the lucky few that don't notice the chucking forces their trailers generate. You will find they fall in to the camp of "Since my trailer doesn't chuck, therefore yours won't either if you have the same gear". They are easy to identify.

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my trailair do to the bottom plate had broke during a trip. Had it welded to get home. I went with moryde much improved ride .

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absurd? I am sure you are referring to me on airing down tires. I said to air for the load! That may require MAX or as my Dually says to air to 65psi for RAWR.

So should I run 80psi???

Like usual my words are twisted to serve ones argument. NICE!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Absurd? I am sure you are referring to me on airing down tires. I said to air for the load! That may require MAX or as my Dually says to air to 65psi for RAWR.

So should I run 80psi???

Like usual my words are twisted to serve ones argument. NICE!

Then what are you trying to say . I read you are saying inflate your rear tires to their weight rating on an inflation chart . My rear tires have a max weight rating of 3640 lbs, or 7280 total thats what I can carry on those two rear tires at 80 psi, and if I only have 6000 lbs on the rear tires or 3000 each ,then I should inflate to whatever that weight chart said. Do I have it right . If I don't then it could cause chucking . Do I have that right also.

I see that no one is really agreeing with you on your assessment. I don't , I run my rears at max psi when towing my fifth wheel . My fifth wheel tires , I run close to max psi 110, they don't need that much according to the inflation chart, but so be it, I am not going to run them that low .

I don't think anyone is twisting your words, I think you are upset because they are not agreeing. I sure don't ,at least on air pressure ,and chucking.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I helped a friend install a trailair pin on his MS fifth. Towing home they had a lot of chucking and unhappy to have the air pin. Later he called and we were or I was thinking when the road made the fifth go up the lighter load let the trailer go back and when the load came down it on slowing down it went forward. Later he called from a mall parking lot after leaving the fifth at an rv park and figured because he had a bar style of hitch it has slop that would allow to do what we figured . It was adjustable and then no more chucking.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are considering the Morryde do you know which rubber spring is in it? I think it should have a decal on the side with max GVW. I'm running with about 4100# on the pin and around 17,400 total. Mine is rated for 18,000, so I'm close. My Morryde is slamming on starts and stops. I have a heavier rated rubber spring on the way to replace. On the road my ride is ok.
Just be aware there are different rated springs.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pin Box again Moryde vs Trailair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.