cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good thing Ford TC haulers don’t use the tailgates ...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a Ford 201-2019, might want to lock your tailgate if you can when you don’t have the TC on. Well, I don’t know if they still have locks or not.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-recall-f250-f350-f450-super-duty-trucks-explorer-lincoln-avi...

Not only will thousands of Ford F-Series Super Duty pickups need to go back for potentially buggy daytime running lights, as a recall detailed earlier this week, but the automaker also announced a larger campaign for the truck.

Ford said on Friday that 231,664 F-250, F-350 and F-450 Super Duty pickups are covered in a new recall for tailgates that may open unintentionally. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had already opened an investigation into this issue. The recall covers 2017-2019 model years for the trucks, and another 29,953 of them are being recalled in America's hat, aka Canada.

The automaker said water may be able to enter the electrical wiring system that operates the electric tailgate latch-release. This part is housed in the tailgate handle. If water gets in, it could cause a short circuit and the tailgate may open whenever it pleases, whether that's while parked or driving.

If the tailgate opens unintentionally, cargo could spill out, which increases the risk of injury and a crash.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
19 REPLIES 19

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Was going to say I remember biggest 'want' option was sleeves to quite the chains...

Realized its been 60 years since Ford offered 'positive tailgate retention'.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:

What will they come up with next? :R :h

escalator would be nice

specta
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
Here is the real reason for the tailgate failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlK9ombTWsU

What will they come up with next? :R :h
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the real reason for the tailgate failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlK9ombTWsU
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged111 wrote:
specta wrote:
Locking tailgates are a joke.

As are power tailgates and those stupid retracting running boards that fail once they see snow.

Amen on the power tailgates.
Kenny

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:

As are power tailgates and those stupid retracting running boards that fail once they see snow.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
I hate that my headlights are on all the time unless I manually turn them off after I put the trans in drive.

Ford advertised back in the early '70s that the tailgates on their F-series pickups could hold 2000 lbs.

I wonder how much they can hold today?? :h

I was laughing about tailgate lock first time I've got it, but even without bed top, the bed railing is at my chin level. Just getting in without dropping the gate will require some acrobatic skills, when removing heavy stuff without dropping would be another task.
Than I was moving heavy home stuff still having the aluminium gate. When its light weight is not giving you solid feel and aluminium sheeting is easy to ding, I had 700 lb refrigerator and my 200+ lb on the edge of the gate, with piece of plywood for finish protection.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I hate that my headlights are on all the time unless I manually turn them off after I put the trans in drive.

Ford advertised back in the early '70s that the tailgates on their F-series pickups could hold 2000 lbs.

I wonder how much they can hold today?? :h

Kenny

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Do people actually use the daylight running light settings? One of my biggest pet peeves it the fact that most folks that use that setting don't realize that it only turns on the headlights on the majority of vehicles. So those folks drive around in the rain and at night with no lit tail or marker lights.

I'm with you 100% on this Buzzcut, it's a pet peve of mine. I leave my light switch in the auto position and have the light sensor covered so ALL of my lights are on all of the time for safety. Lights are not only for you to see, but for others to see you also!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:

Not sure of the purpose. Here is a thread on a Ford truck forum about the issue:
Clicky

Good find. Seems some trucks come with "Power gate" option.
I build my 2017 on Ford website and don't remember such option, but then would never order it.
I have power trunk lid on my sedan and it has whole chain of safety features, like it is disabled at speeds, will not close with remote, or you have to hold door button for it to close. Even when you press the button on the lid, you will hear loud alarm before lid start closing.
When opening the lid on sedan is not much of safety issue, accidental tailgate opening on truck is and looks like Ford lacked safety features on it. Especially when you can accidently open it by pressing remote in your pocket and with keyless go you keep the key in your pocket during drive.
Anyway, doesn't apply to my truck and not likely to anybody on this forum.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
K_and_I wrote:

Some models have an inside the truck button to release the tailgate (like a trunk release button). If I understand correctly, that is the issue they are having.

I heard about such switch possible only on dump truck.
What would be purpose of it on regural bed?
Anyway, I check my VIN for recalls - they aren't any at this time.
I've seen whistle-blowing reporters making articles about subjects they don't understand more than once. I think this is one of them.

Not sure of the purpose. Here is a thread on a Ford truck forum about the issue:
Clicky
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:

Some models have an inside the truck button to release the tailgate (like a trunk release button). If I understand correctly, that is the issue they are having.

I heard about such switch possible only on dump truck.
What would be purpose of it on regural bed?
Anyway, I check my VIN for recalls - they aren't any at this time.
I've seen whistle-blowing reporters making articles about subjects they don't understand more than once. I think this is one of them.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
The link doesn't open for me.
I did not use my tailgate much on my 2017 model, but from what I remember it has mechanical latches that hold the tailgate up and electrical latch lock for security.
Meaning even electrical malfunction will release the lock, the latches will still hold the tailgate up.
The lock assemble has whole harness going to it, what operates camera and light as well.

I’m not familiar with the design. If you pull the handle when it’s locked, does it release the latches so that when you do (or it does) eventually unlock it, it falls? Maybe that’s the concern. If not then nothing to worry about.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Do people actually use the daylight running light settings? One of my biggest pet peeves it the fact that most folks that use that setting don't realize that it only turns on the headlights on the majority of vehicles. So those folks drive around in the rain and at night with no lit tail or marker lights.

Buzzcut...I couldn't agree more. If daytime running lights are for "safety", then simply have all the lights come on when you start your vehicle, end of story. Here where I live it really is a menace when driving in poor weather conditions morons are driving with no headlamps on thus no tail lights. I see them everyday going to work in the early hours, DRL's on only. The Feds didn't go far enough imho when they brought out this. It would sure make driving behind these vehicles safer. I agree with you 100%.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.