cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creative Towing

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
You find a lot of different tow vehicles for Caravans( , Travel Trailers) they you would never see in the US (a )they do not exist ( b) no one would use them like that
Unimog

A Light Japanese Truck 4x4 with a 7,500lb payload towing a maximum payload 7,700lb Caravan

A 4x4 Isuzu, 29,000lb GVWR and 45,000lb GCVWR towing an Off Road Caravan

Renault with a v8 Mack engine and Caravan

Hino towing a Caravan

IVECO Daily towing a Caravan
81 REPLIES 81

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Really? So let me get this straight. You have spoken with every person in Australia that is currently towing with a class 8 and used to tow with one of our class 3 trucks? How many did you speak to? Not saying that a class 3 truck is more stable and all, but seeing that there are hardly any US class 3 trucks over there as you say, I would doubt you have spoken with any of them that used to have one and now traded up to a class 8 to be able to give you a comparison of both in regards to all aspects of RV towing and camping

Haa nothing to do with how people think, it is ILLEGAL to tow with them here. Toterhome people are agreement with our regulators here

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Never said it was impossible to tow them using Class 3 Pickups, but people who use Toterhomes to tow 43ft 5th Wheelers say they are vastly much more stable, turn better, tow better than a Class 3

Really? So let me get this straight. You have spoken with every person in Australia that is currently towing with a class 8 and used to tow with one of our class 3 trucks? How many did you speak to? Not saying that a class 3 truck is more stable and all, but seeing that there are hardly any US class 3 trucks over there as you say, I would doubt you have spoken with any of them that used to have one and now traded up to a class 8 to be able to give you a comparison of both in regards to all aspects of RV towing and camping.

RobertRyan wrote:
Regulators here would not let you tow a 43ft 5ver with a Class 3

They do here all the time at higher elevations and at higher speeds than over there without any issue.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Shiner Brock wrote:
I never said to use class 3 trucks for toterhomes so I am not sure where you are getting that.

What I did say is that because of our class 3 truck power and capabilities, we do not need class 8 trucks in order to tow the trailer in this picture. That is all. Never said anything about class 3's being used with toterhomes. This is probably a 16k trailer. Maybe 18k at most. Either way, it is well within what our class 3 trucks can handle. If it is 16k, then even some of our class 2b trucks can tow it. 

Never said it was impossible to tow them using Class 3 Pickups, but people who use Toterhomes to tow 43ft 5th Wheelers say they are vastly much more stable, turn better, tow better than a Class 3
Regulators here would not let you tow a 43ft 5ver with a Class 3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
:R:S:S
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Shiner Brock wrote:
And speed on highways is easily met with the kind of motor home that Actros was towing. That was a 16k or maybe and 18k at the most which is well within what our class 3 trucks can easily tow. Maybe that is a lot of when for your midsize pickups(utes), but not for our class 3 pickups. A class 8 truck is simply not needed for that little of weight and would made for a very limiting unloaded daily driver.

How did you bring MidsizePickups into this? ANY Midsize would fail. . People who own Toterhomes do not think the Class 3's would cut the mustard. Regulators here are in agreement, so you cannot use a Class 3 Pickup to tow 43ft 5th Wherlers
As Toterhomes come from the US you can talk to them

I never said to use class 3 trucks for toterhomes so I am not sure where you are getting that.

What I did say is that because of our class 3 truck power and capabilities, we do not need class 8 trucks in order to tow the trailer in this picture. That is all. Never said anything about class 3's being used with toterhomes. This is probably a 16k trailer. Maybe 18k at most. Either way, it is well within what our class 3 trucks can handle. If it is 16k, then even some of our class 2b trucks can tow it.
RobertRyan wrote:
Another you do not see in the US. is this combination what would be a Class 8 Truck in the US
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Shiner Brock wrote:
And speed on highways is easily met with the kind of motor home that Actros was towing. That was a 16k or maybe and 18k at the most which is well within what our class 3 trucks can easily tow. Maybe that is a lot of when for your midsize pickups(utes), but not for our class 3 pickups. A class 8 truck is simply not needed for that little of weight and would made for a very limiting unloaded daily driver.

How did you bring MidsizePickups into this? ANY Midsize would fail. . People who own Toterhomes do not think the Class 3's would cut the mustard. Regulators here are in agreement, so you cannot use a Class 3 Pickup to tow 43ft 5th Wherlers
As Toterhomes come from the US you can talk to them

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, I don't know that I've noticed "increasing number of Americans and Canadians are going to Class 8's. or Toterhomes". Maybe, maybe not. Are there hard numbers to back up these statements?

As was mentioned the attraction for these large semis is going to stay pretty small because of the impracticality of them. IMO anyway. What do you do with them when you aren't moving your trailer? Not exactly practical for day-to-day usage. Some will use them, but the numbers will stay small in the US anyway.

Suppose we can get over the Richard measuring now? What works in Australia will work to a limited degree here, and vice versa. That makes neither superior to the other overall, just better in their home market.

I'll have to admit I don't understand the need to prove that the Aussie trucks are better.

Let us go through each point one at a time.
Toterhomes are for people who use these as Mototohomes, they can be registered as a Motorhome in the US not a CDL. They do everything better towing very large 5th Wheelers or Toy Haulers. They use the smart cars as transport in Cities, they had a website but look under Toterhomes in the US and you can find out why they use them.
Australian example is similar to some US tradesmen who carry a TC or Trailer to a jiob He uses the Actros as a work vehicle
I am not talking about Australia ,only when illustrating those heavy tow vehicles as they come from Europe and Japan and are used there for towing and hauling Not RV's in Japan but some RV's in Europe. Your Class 3's do not do the job here, as regards fairly hefty trailers , that is the reason they are not used
I'll have to admit I don't understand the need to prove that the Aussie trucks are better.

People on this site were mocking Trucks and Pickups used outside the US, which to me was pretty stupid as they did not know how they were used and the equivalent US vehicles were rejected because they were not appropriate

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Shiner Brock wrote:
Again, I never stated that that our class 3 trucks can pull 100 tons nor would I use it to. All I said is that they can tow the RV that the Actros was pulling in the picture. Not only can they tow it, but they can be used as a daily driver as well once you get to your destination which cannot be easily done in a class 8 truck.

Of course we have a fixation with horsepower because it dictates the speed at which we can tow. Since the average speed limits of our highways are higher and we have much higher highway elevations, speed it important when towing. Like I said in another thread, our truck are made for our market.

Lastly, there is nothing saying that the truck in the picture was a 600 hp 16 Actros, and even if it was I stated that our pickup truck engines have more horsepower than the base Actros engine. I never said it had more power than the 16L engine that you claim that truck has.

The Class 3' do not tow, ride, turn, are as stable as well as Class 8's, that is why increasing number of Americans and Canadians are going to Class 8's. or Toterhomes.Generally they use a small Smart Car to get around in towns or tow a Garage behind them. Speed on freeways is easily met by a Class 8 .You do not use base engines to tow anything large or heavy, in a Class 3.neither a Class 8
The Axxor has been introduced as a MDT using the base engines

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I don't know that I've noticed "increasing number of Americans and Canadians are going to Class 8's. or Toterhomes". Maybe, maybe not. Are there hard numbers to back up these statements?

As was mentioned the attraction for these large semis is going to stay pretty small because of the impracticality of them. IMO anyway. What do you do with them when you aren't moving your trailer? Not exactly practical for day-to-day usage. Some will use them, but the numbers will stay small in the US anyway.

Suppose we can get over the Richard measuring now? What works in Australia will work to a limited degree here, and vice versa. That makes neither superior to the other overall, just better in their home market.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Shiner Brock wrote:
Again, I never stated that that our class 3 trucks can pull 100 tons nor would I use it to. All I said is that they can tow the RV that the Actros was pulling in the picture. Not only can they tow it, but they can be used as a daily driver as well once you get to your destination which cannot be easily done in a class 8 truck.

Of course we have a fixation with horsepower because it dictates the speed at which we can tow. Since the average speed limits of our highways are higher and we have much higher highway elevations, speed it important when towing. Like I said in another thread, our truck are made for our market.

Lastly, there is nothing saying that the truck in the picture was a 600 hp 16 Actros, and even if it was I stated that our pickup truck engines have more horsepower than the base Actros engine. I never said it had more power than the 16L engine that you claim that truck has.

The Class 3' do not tow, ride, turn, are as stable as well as Class 8's, that is why increasing number of Americans and Canadians are going to Class 8's. or Toterhomes.Generally they use a small Smart Car to get around in towns or tow a Garage behind them. Speed on freeways is easily met by a Class 8 .You do not use base engines to tow anything large or heavy, in a Class 3.neither a Class 8
The Axxor has been introduced as a MDT using the base engines

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Never said a 6.7L could pull 100 tons or that it had the power of the 16L. The picture you posted was of a Mercedes Astro being used to pull a trailer that our class 3 trucks generally pull here. Our pickup truck diesels like the Ram CTD(400hp) Ford PSD(475hp) and the GM L5P(445hp) are rated at higher horsepower than the 326hp base engine power leveled Mercedes OM 470 Actros. That is a fact.

It is not a " Astro"", it is an Actros, the base engines belong to a smaller Axxor. I posted a Class 8,that Hauls effectively very large 43ft, fifth wheels, having more stability towing and turning circles than a Class 3 , otherwise they would be using Class 3 Pickups for large 5th wheels and toy haulers, these will never pull 100 tons, are less capable( stability, turning circle, towing, ride) than a Class 8 truck. You have a fixation with horsepower, torque is peaky and less than half than that in a Class 8 with Class 3's
Mercedes Actos shown pulling the 43ft 5 th wheeler had a 600hp engine. Actros now come with 650hp engines
Shiner Brock wrote:
Never said a 6.7L could pull 100 tons or that it had the power of the 16L.

Of course we have a fixation with horsepower because it dictates the speed at which we can tow. Since the average speed limits of our highways are higher and we have much higher highway elevations, horsepower is important here. Like I said in another thread, our truck are made for our market.

Lastly, there is nothing saying that the truck in the picture was a 600 hp 16 Actros, and even if it was I stated that our pickup truck engines have more horsepower than the base Actros 10L engine that has less than 395hp and around 1,200 lb-ft. I never said it had more power than the 16L engine that you claim that truck has.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
That is why you get increasing number of Americans and Canadians using renovated Class 8'sto tow very large and heavy 5th Wheelers not Class 3 Pickups so called Toterhomes

As well as Motorhomes get very big they are not based on Class 3 Pickups but Class 8's

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Never said a 6.7L could pull 100 tons or that it had the power of the 16L. The picture you posted was of a Mercedes Astro being used to pull a trailer that our class 3 trucks generally pull here. Our pickup truck diesels like the Ram CTD(400hp) Ford PSD(475hp) and the GM L5P(445hp) are rated at higher horsepower than the 326hp base engine power leveled Mercedes OM 470 Actros. That is a fact.

It is not a " Astro"", it is an Actros, the base engines belong to a smaller Axxor. I posted a Class 8,that Hauls effectively very large 43ft, fifth wheels, having more stability towing and turning circles than a Class 3 , otherwise they would be using Class 3 Pickups for large 5th wheels and toy haulers, these will never pull 100 tons, are less capable( stability, turning circle, towing, ride) than a Class 8 truck. You have a fixation with horsepower, torque is peaky and less than half than that in a Class 8 with Class 3's
Mercedes Actos shown pulling the 43ft 5 th wheeler had a 600hp engine. Actros now come with 650hp engines
Shiner Brock wrote:
Never said a 6.7L could pull 100 tons or that it had the power of the 16L.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Robert Ryan wrote:
No they do not have the Power of a 16 litre Diesel. A 6.7 litre is pretty gutless pulling 100 tons

"Engines. The Actros comes with a choice of three powerful
6-cylinder in-line engines complying with the Euro IV/V
emission norm: the 10.7 liter OM 470, the 12.8 liter OM
471 and the 15.6 liter OM 473, designed for low fuel
consumption, maximum longevity and optimal performance.
Both the OM 470 and OM 471 engines are developed on the
basis of tried-and-tested technology and robust
components, providing high torque levels at lower engine
speeds due to its state-of-the-art common-rail injection
system. The OM 470 is available with engine output from
240 kW (326 hp) to 290 kW (394 hp). The OM 471 is
available in power output ratings from 310 kW (421 hp) to
350 kW (476 hp). The newly developed OM 473 engine
ranges from 380 kW (517 hp) to 425 kW (578 hp) and it
combines the best performance with optimized fuel
efficiency
"

Mercedes Benz Actros 4x2
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD