Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

MY take on it is this -

I would NOT be worried about it, There is probably 2 people that have had an issue.. JUST because your licensed, doesn't make you a better driver.... TRUST ME>>

If your concerned, read below -

If using the vehicle for business, ANYTHING with a GVW over 10,000# IS considered a Commercial Vehicle..

With that said, the operator of any commercial vehicle needs to have a valid medical card..

** NOTE ** I stated any vehicle that is NOT USED FOR PERSONAL USE, ( COMMERCIAL ) ..

Now, the class A endorsement comes into play when the total combined is OVER 26,000.. OR the trailer is over 10,000..

My license is a commercial Drivers License " A" with the following endorsements: "M" = Motorcycle.. "P" = Passenger ( Bus, NOT school bus ) "T" = doubles/Triples.. "N" = tanker.. IF anyon in SE PA needs help with a license, I would be willing to give a hand..

In their eyes, this is the definition of the Non commercial-
Non-commercial Driver's Licenses
"CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. ... Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more"
NOT BEING USED FOR BUSINESS..

You state above
"Now, the class A endorsement comes into play when the total combined is OVER 26,000.. OR the trailer is over 10,000.."

"Or the trailer is over 10,000" it should not be an "or" correct?

In Pa you could have a F450 rated at 14000 GVWR and a 5th wheel rated at 12000 GVWR for a total of 26,000 lb. GCWR and not be required to have a Class A NON-Com due to the fact you are 1 lb under the GCWR of 26,001 lbs. Just because that trailer is rated at 12k GVWR does not require it. Example F350 at 11500lbs GVWR and 5th Wheel at 13000lb GVWR for a total of 24,500 GCWR you are under that 26,001lb GCWR.

Pa's Statement:
CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

Is California's stated differently than Pa's?

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Librty02 .

I cannot speak for CA, heck it's hard enough to speak for our own state, BUT the CDL portion should be the same in each state since it is mandated on a federal level.

as far as the non commercial goes, I'm not 100%, I am fully licensed so I have not had to keep up with it BUT I believe that magic # is 26,001... As long as the trailer GVW is over 10,000

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our Home State of New York any combo over 26K requires an "R" endorsement, but I don't know a single friend who has it an just about all are over that mark.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Librty02 .

I cannot speak for CA, heck it's hard enough to speak for our own state, BUT the CDL portion should be the same in each state since it is mandated on a federal level.

as far as the non commercial goes, I'm not 100%, I am fully licensed so I have not had to keep up with it BUT I believe that magic # is 26,001... As long as the trailer GVW is over 10,000

"BUT the CDL portion should be the same in each state since it is mandated on a federal level."

Ahhhh - isn't this thread related to NON-Commercial Driver's Licenses (NOT Federal) which are NOT available in some states...
and also regarding California's "Restriction 41" to/for non-commercial licenses....[emoticon]

BTW - tow your (personal - as in RV) trailer with your basic Driver's License in South Dakota, no special license required for weight (as in CA)

~

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am licensed SD with zero restrictions towing my 24k RV or even double towing in CA.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

AirSupport

Boondocking somewhere in N. America

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting read everyone. I am going to call AAA tomorrow morning and ascertain if they know of a driving school that's willing to get one a "non-commercial Class-A" license class. I would LOVE to have that license FIRST and before I make the purchase of my new heavy fiver.

The one I want is almost $8,000 less in another state, than here in crappy california. Only thing is, I would need to drive across the country to get it and I need my non-com class A!! My catch-22 is that I can't get my non-com CDL unless I show up with the heavy fiver and my truck!!! Many I HATE California!

Ahhhh, cali is sooooooo jacked up!

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a commercial class A so I wouldn't have an issue. My question would be if I didn't have the class A am I supposed to go to the dealer and buy because I like how it looks? If I was dropping 100K plus for a diesel pusher I sure would want to drive it first. CA expect you to not test drive before you buy? Or are you to get the license because I think I want to buy a class A motor home?

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AirSupport wrote:

Very interesting read everyone. I am going to call AAA tomorrow morning and ascertain if they know of a driving school that's willing to get one a "non-commercial Class-A" license class. I would LOVE to have that license FIRST and before I make the purchase of my new heavy fiver.

The one I want is almost $8,000 less in another state, than here in crappy california. Only thing is, I would need to drive across the country to get it and I need my non-com class A!! My catch-22 is that I can't get my non-com CDL unless I show up with the heavy fiver and my truck!!! Many I HATE California!

Not sure how that is jacked up... in order to take the driving test for driving a big 5er, you need to have a big 5er to take the test with.

Not any different than having to have a car in order to take the driving test to get your standard license. Or to have a motorcycle to take the driving test in order to get your motorcycle license.

Somehow I think that's the same in every state. In order to get a specific driver license you have to have the specific vehicle with which to take the driving test.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you go test drive a kenworth truck tractor without a class A. Just curious why one would think differently regarding an RV. Manufactures created vehicle extremes, Special interest created the exemptions and legislators created the loop holes. Those seeking the prize own the responsibility to research and obtain the appropriate license. The configuration and weight determines what (license) you need in whatever state you earn money, pay taxes and vote in.

Some of us seem to be able to do it. Some don’t care and that leaves me wondering why those who don’t, worry about other people pulling an RV dangerously down the road when it starts with your license to drive it.

Anyway, lots of people hate CA for lots of reasons. As far as I can tell in my own research, NV,AZ,OR and WA all have some sort of required endorsement or class A for a trailer over 10k or over 26,000 combined. So, CA isn’t the only place.

Be safe. Thanks for the interesting dialog. Most of all, happy Campin’

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

Rich1961

Colfax Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AirSupport wrote:

You don't have to take the test with a 5th Wheel over 15k GVWR. A Travel Trailer over 10k GVWR qualifies for the Non Commercial A test also. If you know someone who has a Travel Trailer over 10k GVWR, ask if you can use their trailer for the test.

2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.