Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

94-D2 wrote:

Non commercial class A in ca only allows an rv greater than 10,000 lbs. that’s it. As a note: a horse trailer with rv quarters is not an rv. It is a horse trailer and horses are not stock. They are pets. There for if over 10,000 lbs, a commercial class A is required. I bring this up because there is always an argument where horses are concerned.

I think you meant horses are stock. They are not pets. Therefore the horse trailer is commercial.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

big bird 2

La Crescenta, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does any of this have to do with a 5th wheel RV endorsement?

Big Bird 2

AirSupport

Boondocking somewhere in N. America

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

So, you have to:

Or borrow or rent a trailer from a person, dealership, rental to take your test with and then go get your trailer cross country.

How about this... Can I borrow you and your trailer? You seem very helpful and willing.

Aaaaagain sir, finding a simple little car to take a class-C driver's test is super easy. Everybody (friends, family members, driving schools etc...) has one or more cars available everywhere. Basic driving schools for a class-C are everywhere. That's not the issue. The issue is finding a viable source with the equipment to go and take the test. I don't know why you keep brining this "Class-C" comparison up, because it's not germane to the issue at hand of acquiring a non-com class-A.

I like the idea of hiring a driver that others have suggested. Like I said earlier, I do have a Class-A driver that I know, however even paying him for the time to travel across the country or halfway up the state for a California RV dealer is a snafu. I fully admit however that I have no other alternative and I'll just deal with it.

But again, it still sucks how there's no other option. For instance, if one wants a pilot's license, the student pays for lessons, and instructor and for aircraft rental for the FAA check ride. Not so for a non-com Class A license that I have found anyway.

It's a "smoother" journey to get licensed by the FAA than it is for getting a license to pull a heavy fiver in Cali. Hence the reason why I say Cali is "jacked up."

...How much would you charge me for your time and trailer rental???

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is how it is in most states. It's not just California. Just because YOU don't have connections doesn't make this a problem with California. I know many folks who have managed to do this without all the complaining I see here.

You've been given options. So go do it and then you can stop stressing and fretting over it.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Community collage, take one quarter CDL class and they use the collage trucks to test. The commercial CDL will cover most anything you want unless you want tanker, double, hazmat, bus endorsements. I was able to get the CDL with 3 of the endorsement trough the collage. Got really dumb then and bought an 18 wheeler because I had the license. 750K miles later I don't have an issue taking a 35ft 5W any where.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

94-D2 wrote:

Non commercial class A in ca only allows an rv greater than 10,000 lbs. that’s it. As a note: a horse trailer with rv quarters is not an rv. It is a horse trailer and horses are not stock. They are pets. There for if over 10,000 lbs, a commercial class A is required. I bring this up because there is always an argument where horses are concerned.

I think you meant horses are stock. They are not pets. Therefore the horse trailer is commercial.

No, I do mean they are pets and are not stock. This comes full circle in relation to the 5th wheel endorsement because there is an assumption that the horse trailer with living quarters is an RV, or can be covered by the stock trailer exemption. So, a horse trailer is not qualified under stock trailer because the horse is considered a pet and not stock for human consumption, unless augmenting a stock operation and most horse trailers are goose neck and not 5th wheel connections.

These issues are related to pulling a 5th wheel RV because of the confusion between the non commercial class A, And 5th wheel restriction on a class C.

Clear as mud? Good.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Community collage, take one quarter CDL class and they use the collage trucks to test. The commercial CDL will cover most anything you want unless you want tanker, double, hazmat, bus endorsements. I was able to get the CDL with 3 of the endorsement trough the collage. Got really dumb then and bought an 18 wheeler because I had the license. 750K miles later I don't have an issue taking a 35ft 5W any where.

What "works" - or is "the way to go" in NM (or elsewhere), is most definitely NOT happening in California - back to the original post/topic...[emoticon]

Community Colleges do *NOT* have "college trucks", nor do they have CDL classes. Might be one "somewhere" in the state, but very doubtful.

Several reasons NOT to have a *Commercial* Driver's License in CA:

1. Should you receive a traffic citation, you are not allowed to attend traffic school - as an alternate to a fine and points against your license. (Doesn't matter if you are not driving commercially when cited).

2. Although it *should* only apply if you are driving commercially, the blood alcohol level is half that of a std DL. Can you count on the LEO knowing that?

3. Routine stops. An infraction that may only result in a warning,
could result in a citation - as the LEO expects you to be a "professional driver" - and should be held to a higher standard.

4. Of course, you will also need a doctor's certificate every two years. Maybe you can get a free exam - maybe not. Just another expense.

For those reasons, some of us "gave up" our CDLs when they were no longer necessary for work related driving (CA has a separate Firefighter license now - at one time you needed a "regular" CDL for various apparatus).

BTW - South Dakota may have a better plan for 5th wheel towing?!
You're good to go with a standard Driver's License. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you are "competent" to tow whatever it is you want to tow...[emoticon]

IMO - EVERY state should have a Non-Commercial classification! Many (besides CA) already do. Makes the roads safer for everyone!!

[emoticon]

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tank:

1 and 2 are incorrect. You CAN do traffic school if the violation was not in a class A vehicle (this was the case several years ago and since repealed) and the commercial .04% only applies while you are operating a class A vehicle. However, if you do get an 08% DUI in a regular non commercial, your commercial status will be effected. You CAN count on every LEO in CA to know that because that is the job and I’m sure any defense attorney and prosecutor would be enthusiastically happy to re-educated any officer that is unsure of such a critical investigation.

We (as a general rule) do not apply double standards to vehicle code violations in CA just because you are a class A operator. There are however more vehicle code violations that can be violated regarding the operation of commercial vehicle. Our discretion is the same whether or not to cite for any infraction, regardless of type of vehicle. Each case is subjective in nature and therefore mitigated by facts and circumstances surrounding the enforcement contact.

A non-commercial class A license is available in CA for those needing it. If your just pulling a 5th wheel over 15k or a TT over 10k, that is what you need.

Happy Campin’

Ed9824v

Agua Dulce, Calif. 70 mi N.E. of Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is Class A what you need for double towing as well under 65 feet total?

Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

AirSupport

Boondocking somewhere in N. America

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed9824v wrote:

Is Class A what you need for double towing as well under 65 feet total?

Good question because the Cal DMV website quick-chart doesn’t say....

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart

I thought it was illegal to tow BEHIND a fiver in Cali but I saw one today on the 22fwy in Garbage Grove. It was towing a flatbed trailer with a sand rail on it. It was behind an older Grand Design trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.