cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hobbies in the off season?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
We are in the dead of winter and it's the off season for many of you. How about a post and some pictures of what you are doing, what hobbies keep you busy?

Some of you are wood workers, some are artistic welders, we have quilters and dutch oven cooks, radio control and drone enthusiasts, model trains in the basement. So what is it, snap a picture, let us see what you're doing.

I'm in an area where I can camp year round, though I typically do not camp during the summer months because it's too crowded and too hot. Instead I go dancing, hiking, and boating. Here's a picture of me on Potato Chip rock in San Diego. The angle doesn't do it justice, it's quite a drop if the chip were to break.

So come on, what do you like to do, and please post a picture if you can, no you do not have to be in the picture. Here's a link to the Easy Photo Upload & Posting Web App! if you need some help. Link

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
20 REPLIES 20

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Kayak fishing all year round and some hooping during lobster season.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I guess working on my โ€œnewโ€ car will become another of my hobbies.
1966 Mustang GT fastback
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
My Dad had a hobby shop and his partner built the USS Constitution (and many other models) from kits. They were plastic models with the stinky plastic glue and plastic paints. The one in the photo appears to be made from a wooden kit. A few years ago I visited the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola where the nutjob shot and killed several people a few days ago. Along with many original airplanes at the museum they have some great very large naval ship models on the floor including some aircraft carriers that are about 10 feet long (like this one). It's worth the trip.

2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
Just finished this model of the USS Constitution. I began the project at the start of 2018. During a fall 2018 RV trip, I made a stop in Boston to visit the actual ship to check on a few details.

Nice work!! I have that done to the deck & quit, just too much work.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Dead of winter? Not even close! Get outside and walk/hike/photograph as much as the weather permits during the "off season" (even though we aren't rving any more).

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
We have no off season as we camp year around

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
wow

RoyF wrote:
Just finished this model of the USS Constitution. I began the project at the start of 2018. During a fall 2018 RV trip, I made a stop in Boston to visit the actual ship to check on a few details.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
2 kids under 5. what is this free time?

guess I do play beer league hockey Saturday nights when they are asleep.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyF wrote:

Great work Roy. Have you been to the maritime museum at Newport News, VA.? Fantastic ship model room.

The last thing I do in winter is touch the RV. It is stored almost 700 miles away. No chance of even seeing it.

Winter means home maintenance & anything else that needs doing. Am in the process of re decking my 14' Maritime Skiff followed by hopefully getting the engine out of my 32' Albin.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Yep I can definitely agree that even in the off season an RV and it's maintenance can be a hobby, it seems there is always something that needs attention. And who can argue with work sponsored trips to far flung exotic places.

CFerguson, that's definitely my type of off season. And I can see what you mean by busier than when working. I'm still quite a few years away from retirement, but one day I fortunately forced myself out of the house on the weeknights. Now it seems that work is always in the way of me doing something.

Colliehauler, Is this going to be one of those TAB type trailers that people build on a Harbor Freight frame? We'd love to see it, do you have a picture or two or even a link to a build posting on here?
No this is a 2009 Keystone Hideout I bought from a insurance company. It had a tree limb go through the roof in three places. It broke 5 rafters. I replaced the rafters and sistered additional rafters to 80 percent of the rafters to double the roof strengthen. I then redecked 80 percent of the roof and installed a new rubber membrane roofing. I also replaced the A/C and installed two fantastic fan's where skylights were. I also had 4 sections of metal siding made to match that I replaced.
Had to straighten out some of the outriggers and weld in additional support.

This winter project.

Next will put in new ceiling panels, reinstall all the cabnets, new led lighting, make a new countertop with single deep sink and faucet , install new carpet, new sound system with 32" tv, new pleated cordless shades, new mattress and equip the RV.

Have the parts to do the suspension upgrades as well. New shocks, equaflex equalizers, new bronze bushings with wet bolt kit.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
RoyF, wow that looks incredible! and it's exactly what I was imagining when I created this post. Is it built from a huge kit, or are you building it from scratch?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yep I can definitely agree that even in the off season an RV and it's maintenance can be a hobby, it seems there is always something that needs attention. And who can argue with work sponsored trips to far flung exotic places.

CFerguson, that's definitely my type of off season. And I can see what you mean by busier than when working. I'm still quite a few years away from retirement, but one day I fortunately forced myself out of the house on the weeknights. Now it seems that work is always in the way of me doing something.

Colliehauler, Is this going to be one of those TAB type trailers that people build on a Harbor Freight frame? We'd love to see it, do you have a picture or two or even a link to a build posting on here?

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer