Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Old propane tanks on new RVs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Old propane tanks on new RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they are 20# tanks just exchange them at Walmart, Tractor Supply or where ever else has an exchange. Problem solved at very little cost and trouble.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Go back to the dealer. Raise heck!

LOL....he bought it 2 years ago!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Where was the trailer parked between dealer and propane store? No more than tanks cost retail I can not imagine a dealer messing with used.

Haha, that's what I was thinking!

To the OP, big deal, find another place to fill them....or get re-cert for like $10/ea, exchange for about $15/ea.
Whatever you do, don't be the d bag that expects the dealer to warranty something that trivial.
He!!, you been getting them filled for 2 years now and didn't even know. 1st world problems

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Where was the trailer parked between dealer and propane store? No more than tanks cost retail I can not imagine a dealer messing with used.

Haha, that's what I was thinking!

To the OP, big deal, find another place to fill them....or get re-cert for like $10/ea, exchange for about $15/ea.
Whatever you do, don't be the d bag that expects the dealer to warranty something that trivial.
He!!, you been getting them filled for 2 years now and didn't even know. 1st world problems

It's not trivial if the dealer is ripping people off whether intentionally or unintentionally. If he wants to hold the dealer accountable he has every right to do it. He's just going to have a hard time proving it. No reason to call him a d bag whether you meant dirt or douche.

As far as the cylinders being used or not they very well might not have been used. They may have just gotten moved around constantly has they ordered and received new cylinders getting mixed in with the new stock and eventually installed on the OP's trailer with no one ever looking at the date. Then again it may have been known that they were going to expire and they were intentionally put on the trailer to get rid of them. I would think that the OP would have noticed if they were used when he had them previously filled.

* This post was edited 12/09/19 04:37pm by mobeewan *

gwh1bass

Mid-Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

I bought a brand new 2017 Coleman 262BH in 2017. Went to get my propane tanks filled today and found out they expired in 2013, 4 years before I bought my 2017 model camper new off the lot. They would not fill them. The test date was 2003 (expires 2013). Feeling kinda cheated. They told me it would cost $120.00 to get new, filled bottles.

I would be upset! I would call the dealer and complain, if I we're going camping soon, I would do the propane exchange and still ride the dealer.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

It's not trivial if the dealer is ripping people off whether intentionally or unintentionally. If he wants to hold the dealer accountable he has every right to do it. He's just going to have a hard time proving it. No reason to call him a d bag whether you meant dirt or douche.

Nobody said it was trivial for the person buying the RV. But for the dealer? The cost difference between the cost of new, and the cost of used that would not glare at buyer would not amount to a pinch of snot. If the OP had gone straight to fill the tank, and found them nearly out of date he might convince the dealer to look into maybe a employee wanted to make pocket money. But a year later? To many chances for something to happen after it left the dealer.
And I don't think I called anybody names...

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would bet at some point the OP swapped out his original tanks at some big box store, and was handed older replacements.

I highly doubt the dealer (In this case Camping World, who are the exclusive distributor for Coleman branded TT's made by Dutchmen Mfg.)sent a crew down to Ferrellgas or somewhere to search out the old tanks with the intent of saving two cents per bottle.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

If the OP had gone straight to fill the tank, and found them nearly out of date he might convince the dealer to look into maybe a employee wanted to make pocket money.

I doubt most people even think to look at the expiration date on their cylinders when getting them filled. and I know personally I have never had the guy tell me that I only had a yer or so left before expiration.

What i have found most often when refilling tanks is if the tank is clean and not rusty the guy never even looks the the date and just fills it.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I doubt most people even think to look at the expiration date on their cylinders when getting them filled. and I know personally I have never had the guy tell me that I only had a yer or so left before expiration.

What i have found most often when refilling tanks is if the tank is clean and not rusty the guy never even looks the the date and just fills it.

I have never had anybody look at the date when exchanging tanks, but never had them fill a tank without checking the date. Of course, if somebody did not check I would worry about what other safety measures where missed.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they are 20# bottles, exchange them. If they are 30#, go to a propane supplier, who will recert them for ten bucks. Problem solved.

I would not ask or expect the dealer to do anything, it was two years ago. I might give them a call just to see if they had any idea how that could happen.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Old propane tanks on new RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.