Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Old propane tanks on new RVs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Old propane tanks on new RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just found a mom-n-pop place and had them filled. I'll get the re-certified as suggested and not bother with hassles. It just crawled on me when I couldn't get what I considered to be new-ish tanks filled. Ethics are a thing of the long lost past.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I feel for you, I don't think ethics has really changed that much. There always has been and always will be people (business owners) doing questionable things. All we can do is find them and avoid them.

As far as your mom & pop, that's the kind of stores I like to visit. Sure I'll shop at Walmart and Costco. But the mom & pop liquor store with propane fill in my neighborhood gets my business as well. I'll pay a bit more per gallon to fill the tanks there because I like to support the little guy as well.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

mobeewan wrote:

It's not trivial if the dealer is ripping people off whether intentionally or unintentionally. If he wants to hold the dealer accountable he has every right to do it. He's just going to have a hard time proving it. No reason to call him a d bag whether you meant dirt or douche.

Nobody said it was trivial for the person buying the RV. But for the dealer? The cost difference between the cost of new, and the cost of used that would not glare at buyer would not amount to a pinch of snot. If the OP had gone straight to fill the tank, and found them nearly out of date he might convince the dealer to look into maybe a employee wanted to make pocket money. But a year later? To many chances for something to happen after it left the dealer.
And I don't think I called anybody names...

Grit dog wrote:

Haha, that's what I was thinking!

To the OP, big deal, find another place to fill them....or get re-cert for like $10/ea, exchange for about $15/ea.
Whatever you do, don't be the d bag that expects the dealer to warranty something that trivial.
He!!, you been getting them filled for 2 years now and didn't even know. 1st world problems

He dismissed the matter as a trivial. Not only that but he made a disparaging remark towards the OP when he told him to not be a d bag. Is that a douchebag or a dirtbag, you fill in the d.

As I said it is not a trivial matter if the dealer is ripping somebody off whether intentional or not. They are still getting ripped off.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

I just found a mom-n-pop place and had them filled. I'll get the re-certified as suggested and not bother with hassles. It just crawled on me when I couldn't get what I considered to be new-ish tanks filled. Ethics are a thing of the long lost past.

Just out of curiosity, have those tanks ever been taken off the trailer? I'm wondering if you ever took them for refilling and left them for pickup. Or have you noticed that your neighbor's BBQ never seemed to run out of propane?

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

mobeewan wrote:

It's not trivial if the dealer is ripping people off whether intentionally or unintentionally. If he wants to hold the dealer accountable he has every right to do it. He's just going to have a hard time proving it. No reason to call him a d bag whether you meant dirt or douche.

Nobody said it was trivial for the person buying the RV. But for the dealer? The cost difference between the cost of new, and the cost of used that would not glare at buyer would not amount to a pinch of snot. If the OP had gone straight to fill the tank, and found them nearly out of date he might convince the dealer to look into maybe a employee wanted to make pocket money. But a year later? To many chances for something to happen after it left the dealer.
And I don't think I called anybody names...

Grit dog wrote:

Haha, that's what I was thinking!

To the OP, big deal, find another place to fill them....or get re-cert for like $10/ea, exchange for about $15/ea.
Whatever you do, don't be the d bag that expects the dealer to warranty something that trivial.
He!!, you been getting them filled for 2 years now and didn't even know. 1st world problems

He dismissed the matter as a trivial. Not only that but he made a disparaging remark towards the OP when he told him to not be a d bag. Is that a douchebag or a dirtbag, you fill in the d.

As I said it is not a trivial matter if the dealer is ripping somebody off whether intentional or not. They are still getting ripped off.

Mobeewan is correct on both points.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

It not the factory, they come without tanks. The dealer did that to you.

Any new trailer we've purchased, be it a popup, hybrid, or travel trailer, has always arrived at the dealership with empty propane tanks that the dealer would then purge & fill before delivery to me.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my present TT in 2010. The tanks were made in 2008. During the economic crash. Sales crashed, many RV companies folded. That meant that a lot of tanks that had been produced, had no RV to go on... I understood why my tanks were 2 years old, and I got great deal on the TT, so I was good with it....
But expired tanks on a new TT... That is over the line.... But not noticing it for for 2 years... That is too long to expect any dealer to remedy the situation... If it really is one.
It would be to easy for those tanks to have been switched somehow while in the owners possesion.
But as has already been decided by the OP... This isn't an issue worth fighting over. It is cheap and easy to fix, and then go camping.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

K Charles wrote:

Any new trailer we've purchased, be it a popup, hybrid, or travel trailer, has always arrived at the dealership with empty propane tanks that the dealer would then purge & fill before delivery to me.

Not challenging you, or calling you a liar, but how do you know the trailer arrived at the dealer with tanks vs no tanks and the dealer added them? I really want to know how you know that.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

I'm glad you found a way to get them filled. Like someone said if they were the common 20 pound tanks you can just trade them in. I've never had any of my local places check the dates on any of the tanks I have.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

Not challenging you, or calling you a liar, but how do you know the trailer arrived at the dealer with tanks vs no tanks and the dealer added them? I really want to know how you know that.

After retiring from my career I wanted something to still get me out of the house a couple of days each week so I ended up working for this dealer, for 7 years. [emoticon] New trailers always arrived with empty propane tanks. Our Spree came from a different dealer I also know well - his new trailers were also delivered to the dealership with empty tanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Old propane tanks on new RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.