Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Old propane tanks on new RVs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Old propane tanks on new RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 01:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read where the RV industry thinks that the average TT is used 3 times a year for the first 2 years, and then never used again by the original owner.... Whe then eventually sells it.

Here we have an owner who went 2 years before attempting to refill his propane!

They may be on to something. And this would explain why many are built so cheaply, and the existance of ST tires.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Jim2007

Greeley, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks huntindog. Probably correct that trailers built cheap because they get little use from first owner. Jim2007

TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I have read where the RV industry thinks that the average TT is used 3 times a year for the first 2 years, and then never used again by the original owner.... Whe then eventually sells it.

They may be on to something. And this would explain why many are built so cheaply, and the existance of ST tires.

A lot of people are always on hookups, and never camp in cold weather, so they use very little propane.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

A lot of people are always on hookups, and never camp in cold weather, so they use very little propane.

That’s us. Two tanks usually last a year. Used for the water heater, cooktop and reefer on the road. We average between 50 and 120 days a year in the camper.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

falconbrother wrote:

I just found a mom-n-pop place and had them filled. I'll get the re-certified as suggested and not bother with hassles. It just crawled on me when I couldn't get what I considered to be new-ish tanks filled. Ethics are a thing of the long lost past.

Just out of curiosity, have those tanks ever been taken off the trailer? I'm wondering if you ever took them for refilling and left them for pickup. Or have you noticed that your neighbor's BBQ never seemed to run out of propane?

No, I keep it in storage. I know those are the bottles that came on it. I had the filled when I first bought it. Didn't know bottles expired and such at the time. I know how much was in them, and how much I had used. I'm certain they are the bottles that I bought. Heck, to look at them they look new.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

We camp in the winter, in fact we're back out for two weeks for Christmas. But, we use electric heat when possible, and take a lot of our showers in a bath house..just because.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Old propane tanks on new RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.