cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GP-PWM-30 OVER VOLTAGE ERROR

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
Been having an issue with my GP-PWM-30 solar controller for awhile now and am finally getting around to messing with it with having a trip coming up.

As I understand the problem, I have and over voltage error, everything on panel is lit up and flashing. At night, the panel returns and reads normal......

I tried the soft reset (no luck) and am going to try and do a hard reset.

Being lazy and having no cardboard to cover the solar panels, can I wait during darkness to do the hard reset??

As I understand the hard reset procedures, I disconnect the solar wires from the back on the controller first and then disconnect the wires from the solar array.

And wait about 20-30 minutes

The reconnect in reverse order.... Batt wires 1st, then Solar array wires.......

Am I missing anything???
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roo wrote:
time2roll wrote:
???? converter output, battery, controller output terminals should all be within half a volt. Fix the wiring issues.
What wiring issue???? This MH and solar system is only about a year and a half old and EVERYTHING worked fine before....... So what could have possibly of changed ???
Open circuit or miswired battery.

Need to divide and conquer.

Separate your batteries and connect one 12v to the controller separate from everything else. Basically a bench test of the solar.

Then check the converter. Remove and bench test with a small load if needed.

Then start putting things back together. If you know someone with 12v experience have them look over your shoulder as you proceed.

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
Roo wrote:
Roo wrote:
time2roll wrote:
???? converter output, battery, controller output terminals should all be within half a volt. Fix the wiring issues.

What wiring issue???? This MH and solar system is only about a year and a half old and EVERYTHING worked fine before, and really, is a pretty basic hook up that I can tell....... So what could have possibly of changed ???

Worst part is, I have no idea how the dealer was able to run the wires thru all the walls and such, looks like a huge PITA to do. I will give them props for that.......

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted: double posted some how.....:S

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

What wiring issue???? This MH and solar system is only about a year and a half old and EVERYTHING worked fine before, and really, is a pretty basic hook up that I can tell....... So what could have possibly of changed ???

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:

New controller arrived and, not the problem.

So to sum up, I STILL have the solar panels over voltage issue AND for some reason the input power to the controller is lower than the voltage supplied.

I must say I AM NO ELECTRICIAN, but know enuff to be dangerous. Batteries and fully charged now, been plugged in to shore power all week, so WTF is going on with this solar system??

As far as I know, nothing has changed, Everything worked fine before and then all of a sudden, noticed the controller displaying a OV fault.

The best I can tell everything "LOOKS" as it should. I don't see anything obvious, but that is the problem with electrical work, everything can look fine but.............

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You mentioned "the dealer" a couple of times. If possible that would be where to start, so you don't end up giving "some tech" an open ended run on your wallet.

It might be possible to get closer to the answer on here, but we would need more info on the solar panel specs, and a bunch of other questions, getting you to run around and try to answer them. Could be done though--that is what this forum is for.

In any case, you might get a lot from this bible ( I sure did)

http://www.bestconverter.com/Books_c_67.html
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roo wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Well that is the issue, not sure it is a wiring issue/problem, thinking and hoping that it is the controller And if it is wiring, not sure how it changed, everything worked fine before. That is why I am so confused about this issue.

Secondly, I admit, when it comes to electrical, I am in over my head, especially on this Motorhome.
Just need to keep measuring voltage. At some point the voltage will change. There will be a connection, fuse, switch etc that has a different voltage on each side. Tighten, clean, repair, replace, adjust that point of change. Keep poking at it until you find the issue spot.

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Two different issues apparently;
1. battery voltage 12.19 should be that at the controller's BATT terminals. No idea why it is 7 volts instead of 12.2v

2. ARRAY terminals on controller should be close to that 12.2 too, where a PWM controller just passes through battery voltage until its high voltage set point is reached. It then "controls" to keep that voltage from going higher. Typical high set point 14.6v

You have 22 volts at the ARRAY side, indicating that the panel voltage is reading typical OC voltage for a "12v" panel so the panel wiring to the controller is shorted. Unless you shorted it with the meter and got OCV, which is how you measure OCV.

Meanwhile your battery is going down in state of charge, now as low as it ought to go (half way) so you need to plug in a battery charger (or use the converter with shore power or gen) while the solar gets sorted out.

This is what I was afraid of, something else may be amiss, just not sure what or how in changed or shorted. My have to take it in to be looked at, just NOT what I wanted to do. I did order a new controller, will try that first and see it that cures the problem, if not, take it to the dealer and let them sort it out.

Plugged in for now to get the batt's back up in charge........

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Well that is the issue, not sure it is a wiring issue/problem, thinking and hoping that it is the controller And if it is wiring, not sure how it changed, everything worked fine before. That is why I am so confused about this issue.

Secondly, I admit, when it comes to electrical, I am in over my head, especially on this Motorhome. I am mechanically inclined and try to do things myself, saves money and don't trust dealers. But trying to make head and tails of all the components and electrical wiring runs makes my head spin. Not sure how it was all wired and where the wires are ran to chase down the problem. Was hoping it was a simple problem, but as the layer are pealed back, maybe not so easy.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two different issues apparently;
1. battery voltage 12.19 should be that at the controller's BATT terminals. No idea why it is 7 volts instead of 12.2v

2. ARRAY terminals on controller should be close to that 12.2 too, where a PWM controller just passes through battery voltage until its high voltage set point is reached. It then "controls" to keep that voltage from going higher. Typical high set point 14.6v

You have 22 volts at the ARRAY side, indicating that the panel voltage is reading typical OC voltage for a "12v" panel so the panel wiring to the controller is shorted. Unless you shorted it with the meter and got OCV, which is how you measure OCV.

Meanwhile your battery is going down in state of charge, now as low as it ought to go (half way) so you need to plug in a battery charger (or use the converter with shore power or gen) while the solar gets sorted out.
Photo in Profile

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
You need to use your multimeter while the controller is flashing (that is important! not when it is not flashing), and tell us exactly what the voltage is
- right at the batteries, 12.19
- right at the converter's output terminals, not at the converter but at the controllers terminals 22.2
- right at the controller's battery wire terminals. 7.66

Not using some display voltages--the independent hand held multimeter's voltage readings.

Also whether you are plugged in so you have converter (or inverter/charger?) DC voltage in the mix. No shore power and no generator running

It is normal to have solar as well as converter DC to the house batteries at the same time while on shore power or generator.

as far as the converter, only terminals i seen was I guess the input and that was 12.19 also....... so not really sure

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the controller reports over voltage incorrectly I would be looking for a new controller.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to use your multimeter while the controller is flashing (that is important! not when it is not flashing), and tell us exactly what the voltage is
- right at the batteries,
- right at the converter's output terminals, and
- right at the controller's battery wire terminals.

Not using some display voltages--the independent hand held multimeter's voltage readings.

Also whether you are plugged in so you have converter (or inverter/charger?) DC voltage in the mix.

It is normal to have solar as well as converter DC to the house batteries at the same time while on shore power or generator.
Photo in Profile