cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked radio on my 2001 Suburban

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Reaching out on what I admit is a long shot. My 1996 Suburban transmission went out last year and I finally bought a 2001 Suburban as a replacement. The problem is when I swapped the dead battery, the radio locked out and now displays LOC on the display.

In researching I found out how to pull the identification codes out of the unit and phone number to unlock the unit. So I pulled the codes and of course the 800 is now disconnected. I contacted GM support, but they could only tell me to take it to a dealer to get the unit unlocked.

So I'm reaching out on here to see if maybe there is a GM tech or service writer willing to get me an unlock code out of their system if I provide the six digits the radio gave me. If so could you please PM me and I'll provide the information? If not I might just have to buy an aftermarket head unit as even a half hour labor at today's rates is way more than this stock radio is worth.

Oh if somebody has another idea that might work I'm willing to try it as well.
Thanks
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hey, you guys with the early 2000s Chebbies, may want to pick up a new voltage regulator for your alternator. Seems to be a common failure, at least for me and others on the interwebs.
I'm getting a spare. Tired of returning reman alternators, lol. Read my parts rant thread!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Hey openspaces...is the radio not Locked to the vin on an 01, but rather, randomly locks?
I have an 01 Tahoe and am strongly considering putting a new touch screen in it. Might be a Xmas present type thing.
If I do, you're welcome to my old radio( if it will work?, haven't read all of this, but the lock thing is a theft deterrent deal?).
Either way, if it might work, I'll ping you if I get a new stereo and you can have the OE one.
Fwiw, you can get a nice quality brand single din with Bluetooth for well under $100, but the harness and all the "stuff" costs over $100 (from crutch field), haven't seen if there's an easier hack to get it hooked up.

Agree, no one wants to steal a 20 year old factory stereo. I could remove it and set it on the curb around here in Felony Way or Methville and it would still be there next week!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2000 Suburban and have never had this issue. I do know that on mine the stereo is linked to the On Star dohikky. So, it's not a simple plug and play to replace the stereo with an aftermarket. Nevertheless, we like the Suburban. It's my tow vehicle and daily driver.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
mapguy wrote:
You need a Tech 2 tool or a scan tool like vxDiag Nano that emulates a Tech 2 tool plus an active subscription with GM to retrieve the code. Short term subscriptions are available, but it would be cheaper to have a dealer do the work if you don't need a Tech 2 level scan tool in the future.

Yeah that seems to be the way this is going although I can see from the many postings on the internet the Tech2 tool became a requirement in 2003 (mine is a 2001) because the radios were linked to the VIN. So until GM decided to turn off the 800 number people who had lost their code could retrieve a code out of the radio and dial an 800 number (computer automated, no salaries involved) to retrieve the unlock code. Then somewhere around July this year the number got disconnected.
wnjj wrote:
This whole idea is just plain stupid. Maybe it made sense in the late 90's when the easiest replacement for your then larger, nice fitting OEM radio was another stolen one. These days who in their right mind even wants one other than the poor guy who just wants a cheap (sometimes throwaway) OEM radio.

Why can't the unlock code algorithm/database just be published at this point or at least after the units are 5+ years old?

I agree with you wnjj, I probably couldn't give this 18 year old factory radio away and GM thinks I'm going to pay $150 to unlock it? It's their company and they can do/run it any way they want, but it doesn't seem very well thought out. Anyway I guess I'll be running without a radio until I can afford an aftermarket unit.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
This whole idea is just plain stupid. Maybe it made sense in the late 90's when the easiest replacement for your then larger, nice fitting OEM radio was another stolen one. These days who in their right mind even wants one other than the poor guy who just wants a cheap (sometimes throwaway) OEM radio.

Why can't the unlock code algorithm/database just be published at this point or at least after the units are 5+ years old?

I once unlocked one for a co-worker but I think it was using the now-disconnected 1-800 number.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
You need a Tech 2 tool or a scan tool like vxDiag Nano that emulates a Tech 2 tool plus an active subscription with GM to retrieve the code. Short term subscriptions are available, but it would be cheaper to have a dealer do the work if you don't need a Tech 2 level scan tool in the future.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to the parts counter at any dealer, they can get you those codes. The last time I did it, it cost me something like $20. They will give you a printout that will include all the security codes, not just the radio.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the radio from that period, if the code was changed from default, they may not have any code that would change it back. They would need to connect to the radio and essentially do a factory reset. Not sure if it's considered programming or just pressing or jumping something on the back. Asking in the various GM forums for radio factory reset may yield better results over asking about some programming of codes. Just a thought.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
If anybody has access to the system and is willing to get the needed code for me I would really appreciate it. The code the radio gives me is 802813, I just need the corresponding 4 digit unlock code.
Thank you

You might have much better luck getting a service tech to help by posting on one of the big Chevy truck forums. I know I've seen dealer techs assist other customers on those forums. The Duramax Forums are where I'd go.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Well I'm still stumped.I did try calling the 800 number and it is disconnected. I called 4 dealers and they all said you have to bring it in and we charge $130 - $160

Since I had to buy a gas cap anyway I stopped by three different GM dealers in the area and still got the same answer. Everybody says only Service can unlock it. I walk over to service and they all want over $100 to make a phone call to GM to get the code for a radio that I probably couldn't even give away.

So I'm thinking I'm pretty much out of luck and will have to buy an aftermarket radio unit. But before I give in completely I'll leave this question. If anybody has access to the system and is willing to get the needed code for me I would really appreciate it. The code the radio gives me is 802813, I just need the corresponding 4 digit unlock code.
Thank you

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting responses here today..... so this is typical if the previous owner had a code for the radio. However if you can’t find it written down anywhere then I’m pretty sure u can find a tutorial on you tube on how to gain access and unlock it without the dealer. On those models of years prior 2007 I don’t think that they were VIN coded. The 2007 and up are all VIN coded and require a dealer program... but I had an 01 years ago and was locked out as well. The PO had no idea of the code and I recall you tubing and got it to work. Hope this helps!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Factory radios are terrible anyway. You could replace it with an aftermarket unit that would have Bluetooth calling, a couple USB inputs, an AUX input for an Ipod, better sound quality, and all kinds of other good stuff for about $150.
I pretty much replace the factory unit in every vehicle I drive as soon as I get it.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad they stopped doing that.
06 Yukon XL, replaced the battery twice with not problem.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer should not charge you for this information. Give them a call.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP