Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Locked radio on my 2001 Suburban
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Locked radio on my 2001 Suburban

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting responses here today..... so this is typical if the previous owner had a code for the radio. However if you can’t find it written down anywhere then I’m pretty sure u can find a tutorial on you tube on how to gain access and unlock it without the dealer. On those models of years prior 2007 I don’t think that they were VIN coded. The 2007 and up are all VIN coded and require a dealer program... but I had an 01 years ago and was locked out as well. The PO had no idea of the code and I recall you tubing and got it to work. Hope this helps!

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I'm still stumped.I did try calling the 800 number and it is disconnected. I called 4 dealers and they all said you have to bring it in and we charge $130 - $160

Since I had to buy a gas cap anyway I stopped by three different GM dealers in the area and still got the same answer. Everybody says only Service can unlock it. I walk over to service and they all want over $100 to make a phone call to GM to get the code for a radio that I probably couldn't even give away.

So I'm thinking I'm pretty much out of luck and will have to buy an aftermarket radio unit. But before I give in completely I'll leave this question. If anybody has access to the system and is willing to get the needed code for me I would really appreciate it. The code the radio gives me is 802813, I just need the corresponding 4 digit unlock code.
Thank you

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

If anybody has access to the system and is willing to get the needed code for me I would really appreciate it. The code the radio gives me is 802813, I just need the corresponding 4 digit unlock code.
Thank you

You might have much better luck getting a service tech to help by posting on one of the big Chevy truck forums. I know I've seen dealer techs assist other customers on those forums. The Duramax Forums are where I'd go.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timberridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the radio from that period, if the code was changed from default, they may not have any code that would change it back. They would need to connect to the radio and essentially do a factory reset. Not sure if it's considered programming or just pressing or jumping something on the back. Asking in the various GM forums for radio factory reset may yield better results over asking about some programming of codes. Just a thought.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go to the parts counter at any dealer, they can get you those codes. The last time I did it, it cost me something like $20. They will give you a printout that will include all the security codes, not just the radio.

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need a Tech 2 tool or a scan tool like vxDiag Nano that emulates a Tech 2 tool plus an active subscription with GM to retrieve the code. Short term subscriptions are available, but it would be cheaper to have a dealer do the work if you don't need a Tech 2 level scan tool in the future.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This whole idea is just plain stupid. Maybe it made sense in the late 90's when the easiest replacement for your then larger, nice fitting OEM radio was another stolen one. These days who in their right mind even wants one other than the poor guy who just wants a cheap (sometimes throwaway) OEM radio.

Why can't the unlock code algorithm/database just be published at this point or at least after the units are 5+ years old?

I once unlocked one for a co-worker but I think it was using the now-disconnected 1-800 number.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mapguy wrote:

You need a Tech 2 tool or a scan tool like vxDiag Nano that emulates a Tech 2 tool plus an active subscription with GM to retrieve the code. Short term subscriptions are available, but it would be cheaper to have a dealer do the work if you don't need a Tech 2 level scan tool in the future.

Yeah that seems to be the way this is going although I can see from the many postings on the internet the Tech2 tool became a requirement in 2003 (mine is a 2001) because the radios were linked to the VIN. So until GM decided to turn off the 800 number people who had lost their code could retrieve a code out of the radio and dial an 800 number (computer automated, no salaries involved) to retrieve the unlock code. Then somewhere around July this year the number got disconnected.
wnjj wrote:

This whole idea is just plain stupid. Maybe it made sense in the late 90's when the easiest replacement for your then larger, nice fitting OEM radio was another stolen one. These days who in their right mind even wants one other than the poor guy who just wants a cheap (sometimes throwaway) OEM radio.

Why can't the unlock code algorithm/database just be published at this point or at least after the units are 5+ years old?

I agree with you wnjj, I probably couldn't give this 18 year old factory radio away and GM thinks I'm going to pay $150 to unlock it? It's their company and they can do/run it any way they want, but it doesn't seem very well thought out. Anyway I guess I'll be running without a radio until I can afford an aftermarket unit.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2000 Suburban and have never had this issue. I do know that on mine the stereo is linked to the On Star dohikky. So, it's not a simple plug and play to replace the stereo with an aftermarket. Nevertheless, we like the Suburban. It's my tow vehicle and daily driver.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 01:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Hey openspaces...is the radio not Locked to the vin on an 01, but rather, randomly locks?
I have an 01 Tahoe and am strongly considering putting a new touch screen in it. Might be a Xmas present type thing.
If I do, you're welcome to my old radio( if it will work?, haven't read all of this, but the lock thing is a theft deterrent deal?).
Either way, if it might work, I'll ping you if I get a new stereo and you can have the OE one.
Fwiw, you can get a nice quality brand single din with Bluetooth for well under $100, but the harness and all the "stuff" costs over $100 (from crutch field), haven't seen if there's an easier hack to get it hooked up.

Agree, no one wants to steal a 20 year old factory stereo. I could remove it and set it on the curb around here in Felony Way or Methville and it would still be there next week!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Locked radio on my 2001 Suburban
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.