cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RBW Sideout arms crown gear stripping

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2009 Carriage 5er had a major failure with the door side slideout. The crown gear that intersects the rack on the motor end stripped. The gear was only 1/3 way engaged on the rack.
Google search revealed an issue on (rv.net ) dating back to 2008 Old threads are. still out there.

RBW is out of business, soldout to ALKO. who sold rbw supplies out to Coachworks. I found the gear there for $ 156! A lippert gear is $12
Heres the issue
RBW gear alignment, By switching the motor driven sprocket bronze bushing to an inside, front from rear allowed me to rearrange spacers and bearings to fully engage the crown gear to the rack.
This did not affect the motor to primary drive gear as they have overwidth gears ro align
hears the new alingment front to rear, on theright side of your RV. wide 3/4"bearingwith
1/4" bushing to the front crown gear Crown gear larger shaft with pin will complete bearing with larger 1"bore that 3/4 steelbushing starts.
next is the crown gear then bearing and spacers to fill up the space to the right so that
Then you slide the shaftto your right enough to place the captive pin in the motor driven gear, then push the shaft back left to install the rack gear pin and cotter key.
A critical step is to ensure alignment and fill spacing to the left (rear) so that the shaft cannot drift
3 REPLIES 3

Petethescot
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Our 2009 Carriage 5er had a major failure with the door side slideout. The crown gear that intersects the rack on the motor end stripped. The gear was only 1/3 way engaged on the rack.
Google search revealed an issue on (rv.net ) dating back to 2008 Old threads are. still out there.

RBW is out of business, soldout to ALKO. who sold rbw supplies out to Coachworks. I found the gear there for $ 156! A lippert gear is $12
Heres the issue
RBW gear alignment, By switching the motor driven sprocket bronze bushing to an inside, front from rear allowed me to rearrange spacers and bearings to fully engage the crown gear to the rack.
This did not affect the motor to primary drive gear as they have overwidth gears ro align
hears the new alingment front to rear, on theright side of your RV. wide 3/4"bearingwith
1/4" bushing to the front crown gear Crown gear larger shaft with pin will complete bearing with larger 1"bore that 3/4 steelbushing starts.
next is the crown gear then bearing and spacers to fill up the space to the right so that
Then you slide the shaftto your right enough to place the captive pin in the motor driven gear, then push the shaft back left to install the rack gear pin and cotter key.
A critical step is to ensure alignment and fill spacing to the left (rear) so that the shaft cannot drift

Hi SD read this post unfortunately it is too technical for me to understand having never worked on anything like that before. I take it you do not have any pics or drawings on the changes you made?
thanks Pete

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Coachworks .They bought out all rbw left over stock

Cosmos_500
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you say you found the gear?