cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Funny, sad and embarrassing.....

specta
Explorer
Explorer
The morning I put my new cover on I went out early to do some work inside my camper and fired up the furnace to warm it up in there a bit.

As the day went on the outside temps raised up considerably and ended up being a nice day. That's when I decided to put my cover on.

I forgot all about the furnace being on and when I came back 12 days later this is what I found. :E :R

Yep, I had forgotten to turn off my furnace and shut off the propane. :S

Fortunately I don't think there was much propane in the tank.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
32 REPLIES 32

jfak7670
Explorer
Explorer
I am just trying not to leave my DeLonghi heater alone in the room. I have a pet that can knock the heater over. But I leave it on when I go to sleep. It has an in-built timer so it shuts off automaticallly after several hours. (https://pickadvisor.org/best-space-heaters-for-basement/ )I don't have a story with a furnance firing up , but once our microwave oven was left unattended, when my grandmother just set the timer for several hours (!) to warm up her food and forgot about it. Fortunately, that day I came home earlier from work and turned it off. Everything was fine, but the plate was burnt black and smelled smoke.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedgehopper wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
When propane runs out, the furnace fan will run continuously till it kills the batteries.
Our fan shuts off if there's no propane.

To be more precise... It stops trying to ignite & closes the solenoid if it does not sense a flame. The blower will then shut off after running for a few moments to dissipate any residual propane and to cool any (potentially) heated surfaces.

I would be worried about a furnace which keeps operating unlit. Seems that is a recipe for the collection of propane and a potential explosion.

That said... An old style pilot-light furnace would not have the pilot to heat up the thermocouple and open the main valve. So I could see how it will happily run the blower without being a safety issue.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
When propane runs out, the furnace fan will run continuously till it kills the batteries.

I guess newer furnaces with electronic board have a program shutting it down.
It was older furnace with pilot light, who killed batteries on my motorhome in the past.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Suburban furnace will try three times to ignite and then go into wait mode if there is no propane.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our fan shuts off if there's no propane

In our previous camper, it certainly did not. Ran out of propane*, fan kept running, eventually the low voltage alarm of the CO detector went off. It is great being woken up at 3:30 in the morning, by an alarm that goes off, in a freezing cold camper.

*) Plenty of butane in the bottle from a trip to a warmer place, temperature fell well below freezing, no more butane as it only evaporates in warmer temperatures...
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep mine in a fairly wind tight and minimally (1/2" foam) insulated shop. I leave the heater on set at 45 degrees. I can promise you I would have forgotten about that if I had a cover on mine. Lucky it looks easy enough to patch.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Delete

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Mine winters in a heated garage...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes and don't lean DW's recliner against the exhaust vent either ๐Ÿ˜ž

specta
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
I bought an cover for my Arctic fox, came dropped shipped from warehouse, I noticed it was stuffed into the bag like a sleeping bag. Open it up and installed cover and found it was burnt just like that, so they drop shipped me another one (and they paid for shipping to return old one). went to install new one and it was coverd with Duct tape where someone ripped it on the down spouts. Now I am getting pissed. They drop shipped a 3rd one, open box and it folded, rolled and vacuum packed. it was a brand new cover. So this warehouse shipped 2 used covers to me.

You would think that they would either inspect the returns and keep them separate from the NIB covers.

I'm actually kind of surprised that they even shipped you returns in the first place.

Nothing like paying for new and getting used. :M
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Slymer wrote:
My cover came with an extra piece of material for patching. I have not made that mistake but did melt the back of an ice maker that was on a table in front of that same exhaust. Still makes ice luckly. Before I put my cover on I cut holes in tennis balls and tape them over each eaves trough downspout. Third Canadian winter with the same Adco tarp now.
First time I was putting it on though I stepped backwards onto the washroom/shower skylight. My right leg went right through & almost made it to the toilet before my hips got jammed. Whenever I go up there now I stay ON MY KNEES.

I wish mine came with an extra piece of material.

I have always been paranoid that I might step thru a skylight.
Kenny

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an cover for my Arctic fox, came dropped shipped from warehouse, I noticed it was stuffed into the bag like a sleeping bag. Open it up and installed cover and found it was burnt just like that, so they drop shipped me another one (and they paid for shipping to return old one). went to install new one and it was coverd with Duct tape where someone ripped it on the down spouts. Now I am getting pissed. They drop shipped a 3rd one, open box and it folded, rolled and vacuum packed. it was a brand new cover. So this warehouse shipped 2 used covers to me.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

As hard as you try, sometimes the best of plans are laid to rest. Glad there wasn't a fire.