cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut off date for Direct TV service

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone an exact date for direct tv cutoff of the standard definition service to the RVs other than 2020.
I’m ready to go with fire stick and sling,but really like my direct tv in the rv with the National feeds. Called DTV and person I talked to had no idea what I was talking about.
18 REPLIES 18

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
This is just great. My Kingdome is in a landfill, somewhere. I installed the Winegard SK-SWM3 TRAVELER.

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
Announcement on the King Satellite Dish web site.

"Bloomington, MN – KING is excited to announce that our current line-up of DIRECTV-compatible satellite antennas and numerous legacy systems will continue to receive DIRECTV programming during and after the DIRECTV transition from Standard-Definition to High-Definition on their Ku Band satellite. DIRECTV will notify subscribers when they can schedule their DIRECTV equipment upgrade. There is no KING equipment upgrade required. For more details, please follow the link below."

More Info
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
dryfly wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Here we go again. "IF" what we know is true, once DTV shuts down the SD broadcasts the domes WILL receive HD programming just the same as DISH customers receive HD programming. The 101 satellite broadcasts on the KU band just the same as all of the DISH satellites. Domes can receive programming from the KU band satellites. What will be necessary is to have an HD receiver to receive ANY programming with a dome and DirecTV once the change happens. As has been mentioned, the big fly in the ointment is that DTV has not said when in 2020 the SD service will end (early 2020 expected) or which channels will be broadcast from the 101 satellite.
The 99 and 103 satellites which are KA band currently carry the majority of HD programming so what will be moved where is unknown.

In regards to portable antennas, will the old round 18" antenna (feeding an HD rcvr) be able to receive the HD signals transmitted on 101 satellite?

Absolutely! You will even get a better signal. That's all a dome does but with a smaller reflector and a dome to further reduce the signal available.

Fantastic! I had started another thread a few weeks ago looking for a solution. Now I just have to wait and see what channels they put on 101.

My only other problem will be aiming the antenna. My current HD DVR does not have an "audible" signal strength meter. I use an old SD receiver that does to aim my dish then reconnect to my DVR. Guess I'll have to spring for a meter if I go this route.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dryfly wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Here we go again. "IF" what we know is true, once DTV shuts down the SD broadcasts the domes WILL receive HD programming just the same as DISH customers receive HD programming. The 101 satellite broadcasts on the KU band just the same as all of the DISH satellites. Domes can receive programming from the KU band satellites. What will be necessary is to have an HD receiver to receive ANY programming with a dome and DirecTV once the change happens. As has been mentioned, the big fly in the ointment is that DTV has not said when in 2020 the SD service will end (early 2020 expected) or which channels will be broadcast from the 101 satellite.
The 99 and 103 satellites which are KA band currently carry the majority of HD programming so what will be moved where is unknown.

In regards to portable antennas, will the old round 18" antenna (feeding an HD rcvr) be able to receive the HD signals transmitted on 101 satellite?

Absolutely! You will even get a better signal. That's all a dome does but with a smaller reflector and a dome to further reduce the signal available.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The announcement by DTV is that they are ending ALL SD broadcasts. There will still broadcast programs that were originally recorded in SD but they will be broadcast on a frequency only capable of being received by and HD receiver. The channels you currently receive with your dome will most likely change and any channels that were broadcast in SD and HD will not be able to be received by a dome in HD. The question remains, which channels. It will not be the same channel lineup available to DTV dome users today.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Wait till you hear from AT&T you will hear every day in 2020, but they do not know
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
What I'm understanding is in March 2020 DTV will no longer transmit local channels in Standard definition. The king domes don't receive local channels anyway. I am not hearing that they are eliminating all SD programming. I just had my camper receiver replaced with a HD receiver free from DTV. I still receive all the SD channels off of the King dome. I'm not expecting to loose them later.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I have Directv HD in my trailer via the Winegard Trav'ler antenna, which I understand is the only antenna to receive HD service (all 3 satellites). Install the antenna and continue receiving Directv.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Bill the satellite guy has covered this over and over Directv will shift some HD channels to the 101 in due Time. “ DTV is shutting down SD programming, not the 101 satellite. DTV customers using a dome will soon be able to receive HD programming from the 101 satellite but no one is saying which channels will be broadcast. ”

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There are no dome style auto-aiming dishes that can, or can be converted to, receive DTV's KA band HD transmissions. I've read that DTV will be transmitting some HD channels on the 101 KU sat that the domes can receive, but which channels those will be has not been announced as far as I know.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
captpar wrote:
No my dome cannot be updated according to manufacture (KVH)

The problem with domes and cubes is that antennas are designed for specific frequencies and a couple other factors..

THere are two bands used by Direc for TV KA and KU. Now I'm not which one (hold on)

Well I don't know which band 101 is and which 99 and 103 are but they are not contactable with the same antenna Same reflector (The dish) yes but the antenna (part of the LNB) is different

So you need to change HARDWARE to make the thing work with DirecHD.

DIsh still uses the older band for both HD and SD
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I just now searched for information about Direct TVs move away from MPEG-2 format and I was amazed at the lack of information available - especially on AT&T's own website and forums. The official date to "begin" the process was in April 2019 and it was to be completed by September 2019. I'd say if you've still got service, you're on borrowed time. Direct may update your RV receiver but you're on your own when it comes to antennas. I'd try calling the antenna mfg to find out if they have any upgrade specials.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System