cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie here. Maybe wrong forum but here goes.

2big
Explorer
Explorer
Mods feel free to move this thread if it's in wrong category.
(oh, please let me know if you do) 😉

Okay, I'm not a COMPLETE newb as I had a Toyota v-6 mini back in the 80's that we drove satisfactorily across the country.

Now I am "contemplating" diving in again. Maybe. Very senior. Active but close to 80. :@

I believe it would be a Class C as I don't want to drive a bus.

Priorities are:
Ease of handling
Small enough to handle larger city streets easily
2 beds (small is OK but we don't do well in same one)
Enough water to take showers
Fuel economy would be a minor concern but still....

Should I look for new or used? I tend to "used" as this is sorta an initial foray into the unknown.

Do "certified" RV dealers exist?

Fire away with any help.
Just today the idea of renting one for a week prior to decision might be wise.
Agree or disagree?

Thanks all.
13 REPLIES 13

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Being over 70 myself I would look at a 24 ft Class C with a full wall slide and a 18-24 ft TT with a slide. I would not want a corner bed especially if you have knee or hip arthritis. The short C's with a full wall slide such as the Chateau 24FE will have a queen bed and a bed overhead. Most of the small C's only have about 40 gals of FW and minimal storage compared to an A. A small TT will give you more FW 50-80 gals if you want to dry camp at NP's or SP's and more storage. Another benefit with a TT when not using it to camp you will have the truck to use as a second vehicle. The C will just sit most of the time in your yard or storage area. If you think you will use it more of the time and need more room then look at something like a Thor Vegas which will be about 25-27 ft, some have twin beds and some have full wall slides. Good luck in your search.

MintDice
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, based on the stats you said and what you are trying to do, I think you should be fine. Maybe you could test them out a little bit first but honestly that's probably good enough.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea to rent first - check out RVShare.com
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Class C is fine, I'd stay under 26 & possibly get one without a slide unless you really want one with a slide.

100% have the opinion that USED is the only way to go.

We love our Class C with the exception of the corner bed..... that thing causes 2x more arguments between the spouse & I than backing does. It's such a PITA but it's hard to get a small coach without getting jammed with a corner bed.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the Forum,you will get a lot of good advice here and I will just give you some just to help out :B

One way to go if you want a used RV with verified maintenance is to look at the Rental Market. More than 100 people here on the forum have been very happy with their choice.

This worked out very well for me.

It is a very long thread but there is a lot of good information. You don't have to read it all but you will get the idea just going thru it.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And yes, lightly used IMO is preferable to new for a few reasons.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You’re exactly on the right track.
Rent first if in doubt.
Small to med size C is imo, the best compromise between mobility, ease of setup/breakdown, size/space/comfort and easy to drive.
Just depends how much space, tank capacity and luxury you want.
Some are good in a B or a big B (vans), some want or need more “space.”

Either way, awesome for you guys. Don’t hesitate. You could be traveling by Xmas!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a used (2017)smaller Class C-24ft. It's a Forest River Forester LE- 2251SLE. Particularly wanted a 450 Chevy chassis with gas engine-has a 6.0 gas engine. About a month after purchase my wife and I (plus dog) took it on a 1600 mile trip-1 way. Very easy to drive-easy to set up- easy to park. It's easier to take on short trips with enough room for longer trips. Also, being smaller I can keep it in my driveway, plugged in and always ready to go.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 2bi

Welcome to the forums.

Buy used.

Stay away from diesel. What you save on mileage is not much, and what you pay for oil changes will eat up any savings. Cost of repairs is astronomical.

Wheel base to length is best at about 55%. Below 50% they become hard to drive. 176" wheel base works well with 27 feet.

Fresh water capacity may be around 44 US gallons. Some times it is possible to add an extra fresh water tank (mine has that feature).

Use a water saver shower head.

Look for a 10 gallon water heater in the unit that is both propane and electric fired.

If the RV is five or more years old, consider replacing hoses and, of course, tires.

Three things to look for:

1. water leaks.
2. look harder for water leaks.
3. LOOK EVEN HARDER FOR WATER LEAKS!

2big wrote:
Mods feel free to move this thread if it's in wrong category.
(oh, please let me know if you do) 😉

Okay, I'm not a COMPLETE newb as I had a Toyota v-6 mini back in the 80's that we drove satisfactorily across the country.

Now I am "contemplating" diving in again. Maybe. Very senior. Active but close to 80. :@

I believe it would be a Class C as I don't want to drive a bus.

Priorities are:
Ease of handling
Small enough to handle larger city streets easily
2 beds (small is OK but we don't do well in same one)
Enough water to take showers
Fuel economy would be a minor concern but still....

Should I look for new or used? I tend to "used" as this is sorta an initial foray into the unknown.

Do "certified" RV dealers exist?

Fire away with any help.
Agree or disagree?

Thanks all.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVs have enough fresh water but also check the holding tank capacities...gray and black. You won’t always have access to fresh water and a dump. Great campsites on U.S. 395 in California but many are dry camps.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2big wrote:

ABSOLUTELY ! I think your biggest issue is finding a B+/C that is not "too big" that has adequate bathroom/shower space and water for more than 1 or 2 days "off grid". Most are really designed to be "hooked" up".

Smaller size B+/C are built on the Mercedes or Ford transit chassis.

Don't be afraid of "all electric" (no propane). I, for one, would enjoy a AC/DC powered compressor refrigerator. As long as it has 2 batteries AND solar AND you are not planning on cool weather camping, it is not a problem.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
For ease of handling and parking in town, I'd stay around 26 feet or so. Too long of a C and you end up with a really big rear overhang.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
There are some small C models with twin beds. Winnebago fuse comes to mind.
Fuse
Some like the Fuse are even on Sprinter chassis which is smaller, and more economical than the E series Fords. And these have been around long enough for there to be used units available.

"Certified" Dealers???
Not really except some that are certified rip offs.