cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I combine Seresto with any other flea product?

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I left a Seresto flea collar on my 55 pound Labradoodle for 8 months. At the end of the 8 months before I had a chance to replace the collar, the groomer reported he had fleas. I immediately replaced the collar with a new one. This was done more than a week ago.

Unfortunately, Boo is still scratching. We have only seen one flea, but I'm guessing there must be others since he is scratching.

I'm surmising the fleas are due to eggs that hatched that the collar hasn't yet killed. This is concerning, because the directions say any new infestation will be killed in 2 hours.

Would I be able to add Capstar or other flea medication to assist the Seresto until his infestation is killed?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.
4 REPLIES 4

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to go on and treat him with K9 Advantix 2 in the hope of killing the eggs and larva. The Seresto only kills adult fleas. I should only have to apply it once. I'm going to put on a new Serasto at 5 months.

We'll see how this works before I do anything else.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility is that he's having an allergic reaction to the bites from the fleas. Flea bite allergy is extremely common, and just a bite or two can cause itching that can last for weeks. You might try giving him an antihistamine to see if it helps. You can find dosing info online for giving dogs Benadryl, Claritin, and several other OTC antihistamines. Or your vet's office would likely give you the correct dosing info over the phone.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also you need to get something to treat your home to stop additional eggs from hatching and continuing to reinfect your dog. We have used Knockout by Virbac which you can get from the vet, or order online - worked very well and it protects/keeps the eggs from hatching, larvae from maturing for up to 7 months. The last vets office didn't have that brand but gave me VetChem. You use it on your carpets, furniture, draperies, cracks along the walls etc and it's safe for your pet once it's dried (about an hour). You also need to wash all bedding and dry in a hot dryer. Treating your yard with a product would help too.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Google: your question
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman