Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ouray, CO- Ouray RV Park and Ouray KOA-Recommendations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Ouray, CO- Ouray RV Park and Ouray KOA-Recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Pointman_nh

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks,

Planning to visit Ouray, CO in mid to late May/early June 2020 and thinking about booking either the Ouray RV Park or Ouray KOA campgrounds for a week or two for some off ride driving on the old mining roads.

I’m leaning towards Ouray RV Park as my choice as the KOA appears to have most sites very close together and more expensive.

Looking to see if anyone has stayed at either and your opinions. I’d be reserving a full hookup 30 amp site for a travel trailer.

Thanks!

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at the Ouray KOA just a few years ago and it was just fine.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if 4 j's is still there it was in Ouray. You could walk to restaurants and the hot springs pool. Had a nice walk beside the river as well. They had campsites by the river as well.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pointman_nh wrote:

Hi folks,

Planning to visit Ouray, CO in mid to late May/early June 2020 and thinking about booking either the Ouray RV Park or Ouray KOA campgrounds for a week or two for some off ride driving on the old mining roads.

I’m leaning towards Ouray RV Park as my choice as the KOA appears to have most sites very close together and more expensive.

Looking to see if anyone has stayed at either and your opinions. I’d be reserving a full hookup 30 amp site for a travel trailer.

Thanks!

Given your timeline, something to be aware of is that many of the OHV/Jeep trails in the area, particularly at higher elevation, will likely still be snowed in. And if the upcoming winter is anything like this past one, it could be July before some of those trails open. Something to consider, and perhaps have a Plan B for a different location.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not used the koa but have been to Ouray RV park and cabins a few times over the years. Like it just fine. Can walk to town no problem. Pp right about the snow that time of year

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it doesn't have to be a KOA, Colorado does have a REALLY nice state park 10 miles up the road in Ridgway. The Elk Ridge campground in the one you want to try to get into. Clean showers and bathrooms. Large laundry facility and overall one of the nicest state parks we've been to.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed one night at the KOA in Ouray. It was fine. Good laundry room!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Pointman_nh

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the feedback. Yes, given my timeline, I was concerned about not being able to access some of the higher trails. My goal with going then was to beat the summer crowds.

Im retired so maybe I’ll move my timeline forward some for better access and start in Moab then finish my trip in Ouray.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pointman_nh wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback. Yes, given my timeline, I was concerned about not being able to access some of the higher trails. My goal with going then was to beat the summer crowds.

Im retired so maybe I’ll move my timeline forward some for better access and start in Moab then finish my trip in Ouray.
Just about everything is a higher trail in the area. I would check ahead to make sure the trails are open. I have a picture where on a trail snow that was plowed with a D-9 is three times higher then the truck. The thermal springs pool in town is like a hot tub and one end and gets progressively cooler as you move to different pools further away. Some very good restaurants in Ouray as well.

Crodad

Lafayette, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thom02099 wrote:

Pointman_nh wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Given your timeline, something to be aware of is that many of the OHV/Jeep trails in the area, particularly at higher elevation, will likely still be snowed in. And if the upcoming winter is anything like this past one, it could be July before some of those trails open. Something to consider, and perhaps have a Plan B for a different location.

I agree, the off road trails will still be snowed in in May and June. If you can postpone your trip till the middle of July or later. Some of the trails didn't open till august this year. And no later than the middle of September.

2008 F-250 PSD 4x2 Lariat
2016 Silverback 31RK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Ouray, CO- Ouray RV Park and Ouray KOA-Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.