cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You don't need it.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a 15 thousand mile trip from NY to Oregon South to California, Yellowstone Utah and Rt.66,ETC
Not a hint of mechanical trouble either truck or trailer.
I carried with me enough stuff to rebuild both. Didn't touch any of it.
I did pull out the compressor to air up a neighbors tire.

Before leaving I put a new serpentine belt on the Ram 1500
4 new 13" d rated tires and 4 new brake and a new house battery.

We didn't need half the dishes the missus figured,

I learned to love the sound of the truck running 3800 rpm pullin like a freight train. Tow Haul did an admirable job in controlling down hill speeds,used the service brakes very little.

Did'nt make a single reservation and never had a problem finding a place. Combination of Commercial RV parks State Parks forest and blm land.

This ain't rocket science. Quit overthinking it, prepare your equipment and have a good time!
37 REPLIES 37

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
I don't think I'd try "no reservations" in the summer. The campgrounds around Moab are pretty well booked for the end of April / early May.

When we were transferring stuff to the new trailer we figured if we hadn't used it in 2 years it got discarded.

Lucky man. If I tried that with my wife would say "But we might need it. In fact that reminds me of something else we should have in there."
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
ZINGERLITE wrote:
Pack for the trip!

If i'm only going an hour away ill only bring stuff to change a tire really. What else could i possibly need? Minimal at best. If a big issue comes up i can run back to the house.

Leaving for a couple weeks? then bring half the tool box. Ill fill a tool bag and then some.

A full timer would probably pack more than the weekend guy. Everyone's opinions are going to very. Same as everyone's experiences. If you are constantly hauling old jalopy's down the road your going to run into a lot more issues than they guy that has something well kept and taken car of. Hauling jalopy's isnt necessarily a bad thing. If you can't afford the latest and greatest you have to be good at DIY in any hobby.

We prefer the K.I.S.S. approach:

Since our small Class C motorhome is built on a chassis that is overkill for the coach weight and since we have the storage room - we keep things simple by having the RV packed pretty much the same all the time.

We can handle hot weather or cold weather trips, long trips or short trips, fishing trips or not-fishing trips, hiking trips or sitting-around trips, clear sky trips or rain/snow trips, beach trips or woods trips, hookup camping trips or boondock camping trips, etc. - with what's always in our RV whenever we leave home -> with all tanks full that should be full, all tanks empty that should be empty, and all storage areas fully packed to cover a large variety of situations.

I think the Storage capacity plays a big role there too. It sounds like you've got the capacity. My 18' travel trailer doesn't allow for alot of extra storage. I find myself a few days before every trip sorting through alot of stuff. If i had extra storage id love to leave everything in the camper. I think half the battle is every item needs a good home. If its got a good place it can stay all the time. Taking the time to build holders/organizers and mounts really pays off. Im constantly re-arranging. hopefully some day i won't have to anymore!

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
I carry a large assortment of tools when I travel far with or without the trailer. I have very rarely needed most of the tools for myself, but I rarely get thru a weekend without using my tools to help another camper who was less prepared.

I have also found the above to be generally true. IMO, the best tool you have . . . . . . your brain. Don't leave home without it!

Chum lee

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
pitch wrote:
Just got back from a 15 thousand mile trip from NY to Oregon South to California, Yellowstone Utah and Rt.66,ETC

I learned to love the sound of the truck running 3800 rpm pullin like a freight train. Tow Haul did an admirable job in controlling down hill speeds,used the service brakes very little.

Didn't make a single reservation and never had a problem finding a place. Combination of Commercial RV parks State Parks forest and blm land.

This ain't rocket science. Quit overthinking it, prepare your equipment and have a good time!

I'm curious ... do you carry along such items as:

1. The special tool for easily changing the serpentine belt, in addition to a new spare belt?
2. A remote inspection scope so as to see in behind things?
3. A spare generator in addition to the main one?
4. A tire puncture repair kit?
5. A couple of tire inflation/sealer cans?
6. An extra refrigerator control board and igniter?
7. An extra water heater igniter?
8. A full power air compressor?
9. A full size shovel?
10. A 12-ton high reach hydraulic jack?
11. A spare water pump?
12. A spare toilet valve?
13. A heavy duty extension cord to extend the main RV power cable?
14. A complete spare sewage hose kit?
15. Three fresh water hoses?
16. A water hookup adjustable pressure regulator?
17. A bunch of interior fresh water system repair valves and tubing?
18. A satellite based rescue and communication device?

The above is some of the just-in-case stuff we pack along in our 24 foot Class C motorhome ... mostly because we sometimes take our motorhome off highway into the boondocks.

Serpentine belt tool,yes carried the old one for a spare
Toilet valve/yes
Water hose 2 tens and a 50
Yes to the pressure regulator
Yes to the jack and shovel
I use two Honda 2ks
A 5 gallon 150psi 110 compressor
A thirty amp 50' power cord
A 50' 20 amp cord

A 10 foot heat tape for the water hose

I also carried the four used but still very serviceable brakes for the trailer and two spares.

As far as driving at 3800 rpm, yes there was more than one hill that required 2nd gear,also a headwind through most of Nebraska that kept me in third gear. Level windless driving about 2200. I was just making the point that I learned not to pucker at running the hell out of the engine. Peak HP is at 3750. More than 3800 it just makes more noise.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ZINGERLITE wrote:
Pack for the trip!

If i'm only going an hour away ill only bring stuff to change a tire really. What else could i possibly need? Minimal at best. If a big issue comes up i can run back to the house.

Leaving for a couple weeks? then bring half the tool box. Ill fill a tool bag and then some.

A full timer would probably pack more than the weekend guy. Everyone's opinions are going to very. Same as everyone's experiences. If you are constantly hauling old jalopy's down the road your going to run into a lot more issues than they guy that has something well kept and taken car of. Hauling jalopy's isnt necessarily a bad thing. If you can't afford the latest and greatest you have to be good at DIY in any hobby.

We prefer the K.I.S.S. approach:

Since our small Class C motorhome is built on a chassis that is overkill for the coach weight and since we have the storage room - we keep things simple by having the RV packed pretty much the same all the time.

We can handle hot weather or cold weather trips, long trips or short trips, fishing trips or not-fishing trips, hiking trips or sitting-around trips, clear sky trips or rain/snow trips, beach trips or woods trips, hookup camping trips or boondock camping trips, etc. - with what's always in our RV whenever we leave home -> with all tanks full that should be full, all tanks empty that should be empty, and all storage areas fully packed to cover a large variety of situations.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Spare parts and tools are like a motorcycle helmet: You don't need it until you do.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
And after you go on trips for 40 years, you will have a long list of stories about things that broke.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
We traveled across America two times and up to and back from Alaska.
Basic tool kit was all that I found necessary, plus torque ratchet to check pin box bolts that I found loose and wheel lug torque on truck and 5er wheels.

I faithfully change my engine oil every 5000 miles, so I did carry tools and 5 gallon bucket for that task. I had changed it just before I left for AK, two times on the road, and shortly after I returned home.

Also I rotated tires one time, so carry two 10 ton bottle jacks for that purpose and removing flat tires, which I had none.

Less tools in the storage area is best as others have mentioned.

Lakeside

In my opinion i think the idea is good maintenance as well as having the right tools to get you off the side of the road. Most RV'ers who don't boondock are generally not far from civilization.

Pack for the trip!

If your costanly packing at the last minute and don't give your rig even a half ass inspection regularly your going to have a bad time lol.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled across America two times and up to and back from Alaska.
Basic tool kit was all that I found necessary, plus torque ratchet to check pin box bolts that I found loose and wheel lug torque on truck and 5er wheels.

I faithfully change my engine oil every 5000 miles, so I did carry tools and 5 gallon bucket for that task. I had changed it just before I left for AK, two times on the road, and shortly after I returned home.

Also I rotated tires one time, so carry two 10 ton bottle jacks for that purpose and removing flat tires, which I had none.

Less tools in the storage area is best as others have mentioned.

Lakeside

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
pitch wrote:

Didn't make a single reservation and never had a problem finding a place. Combination of Commercial RV parks State Parks forest and blm land.

1. The special tool for easily changing the serpentine belt, in addition to a new spare belt?
9. A full size shovel?
11. A spare water pump?

The above is some of the just-in-case stuff we pack along in our 24 foot Class C motorhome ... mostly because we sometimes take our motorhome off highway into the boondocks.

Only item 13. Never needed any of those other tings in 125,000 miles of travel.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
smarty wrote:
3800 rpm on your truck? I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff but that seems very hi. My truck runs slightly below 2000 rpm when towing our rig.

Must be a 2 cylinder 2 stroke engined truck.

1800 RPM gives me about 64mph in top gear. Nice loafing along speed getting best possible mileage.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pnichols I score 10/18 on your list. Stuff that is onboard all the time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
3800 rpm on your truck? I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff but that seems very hi. My truck runs slightly below 2000 rpm when towing our rig.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:

9. A full size shovel?
11. A spare water pump?

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C