cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire covers while storing 5th wheel for winter

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I just winterized and covered our 5th wheel for the winter. I know it's late for SW PA but we just got back from Disney. It was winterized same day as return.

My question is tire covers. Are they a good idea? If yes, what should I look for in a tire cover? Does the color matter? Black absorbs heat etc.

My concern is sun damage. On my old 5th wheel I had to replace all four tires with at least 90% or more of the tread because they just basically split and crumbled after a winter storage.

Thanks!
Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
16 REPLIES 16

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
YEP "lucky guy" to have you constantly quoting me! Thanks so much.

Your welcome. 🙂

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire covers will not prevent dry rot although they might help slightly.

I learned about tire dry rot the hard way. I had a spare under my pickup bed that I decided to put into rotation. I bought an identical new tire which went on the rear right side and I put the former spare tire on the rear left side. A few weeks later I had not used the truck but the spare had horrible cracks and had to be discarded.

I discussed this with a couple of tire experts and learned that tires include compounds to delay dry rot which is caused by exposure to air/ozone. In order to activate these chemicals and bring them to the surface, tires need to be run, flexed and warmed up with regular use. After 4 years of storage - not exposed to sunlight - the unused tire had dry rotted and that became evident when I tried to put the tire into use.

Intense sunlight can speed up the dry rot process but tires will also dry rot without exposure to direct sunlight. If you really want to help prevent dry rot for stored tires, you can try Aerospace 303. The tires need to be cleaned and then coated on all sides. Recoating should be done every few months.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
YEP "lucky guy" to have you constantly quoting me! Thanks so much.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Two sets of Michelin’s went 120k. Not a single crack. Several other sets no cracks.

Several GY’s never a crack.

You lucky guy, been well documented on the Michelins cracking. It seems that anything you buy its bulletproof, yes what a lucky guy . :R

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two sets of Michelin’s went 120k. Not a single crack. Several other sets no cracks.

Several GY’s never a crack.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
My QAUALITY Michelins on both truck and trailer cracked badly within 5 years and the trailer tires were covered whenever it was not in use.

Big issue with Michelins ,big reason no more of them for me. Never a bad thing to cover the tires if sitting for any amount of time.

The sun is hard on anything. Quality tires are just as subject to the suns rays as anything else. Thats just nonsense that quality tires do not need to be covered. Just more bad advice that some seem to have.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
My QAUALITY Michelins on both truck and trailer cracked badly within 5 years and the trailer tires were covered whenever it was not in use.

Dave,

been using black tire covers since I have been Rv'ing withe zero issues.. I really don't think I need them, but since i have them,I use them.. I clean the tire real well and cover for the winter. They are ready to roll in April at the start of the season...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I buy QUALITY tires and have never covered. Never an issue.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I cover when parked for a week or more.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A piece of plywood will do as much good as vinyl covers. Mainly it is to keep the sun off to minimize heat buildup. None of them do anything for UV rays according to a recent study.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it may be a good thing to do, but I've had trailers for 50-years and have never covered the tires.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are traveling every few days, not worth the trouble but...

If the rig is going to sit for months, yeah a cover can be useful to protect the tires.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You should always have your tires covered.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE