Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The case of the disappearing gas leak
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> The case of the disappearing gas leak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Cougargm

NE PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This story is a bit of a mystery. We were winterizing our 2005 Jayco Granite Ridge when I noticed a small puddle underneath the middle of the RV on the driver's side. There were two small drips coming from a bracket that were leaking gas. I can't tell what's above the brackets. I put a bucket underneath to catch the gas and had between pint and a quart the next morning. So I took it that morning to the garage and just like that- it stopped leaking. THe mechanics parked it on hills, drove it, ran the generator- and no leak. They put more gas in it, until the tank was full- and still no leak.
It seems weird that a leak would stop on its own, and the garage recreated various possible scenarios that might cause it to leak. Any ideas or suggestions? Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 03:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had gas smell in Audi the mechanic used a device which pumped something that looked like smoke into the fuel system - using that device the leak was easy to find/identify.

Kevin

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you recently tip off the tank? Due to the intermittent nature, I'd suspect the tank got over-filed and some liquid got sucked into the evap system, which has a vacuum line returning to the motor to burn the vapors. This system is not tightly sealed.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Cougargm

NE PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wondered about that, Carringb, but I filled the tank the end of Sept. and it was leaking in early November. And I lost a lot of gas; wouldn't that have only burned a gallon or two?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have them do a smoke test.

I had a gas leak in my clipper when I bought it. The mechanic couldn't see it. Did the,smoke test - smoke was coming out of the entire length of fuel line from little pinprick holes.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cougargm wrote:

I wondered about that, Carringb, but I filled the tank the end of Sept. and it was leaking in early November. And I lost a lot of gas; wouldn't that have only burned a gallon or two?

The evap purge cycle doesn't occur all the time. I'm not sure when it calls for it, but it's definitely periodic. But no, I would not expect it to result in a massive fuel loss. Keep in mind a very small amount of leaking can cause a big puddle.

The reason I gravitate towards this theory is the intermittent nature. The rest of the lines are all under high pressure, so a leak is VERY noticeable. The only other thing that crosses my mind is a cracked filler hose, over the tank. But that *should* leak near the tank, unless it dripped onto the frame rail, and migrated away on the frame.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thought....

What about the generator fuel line? This line is protected by a solenoid, so it won't pump fuel all the time. Only when the generator is on (even just the ignition, it doesn't have to be started).

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know what chassis you have but the E series Fords had a gas filter in that location and is held in place with a banjo spring which requires a plastic tool that slips over the line to relieve pressure on it so that the filter can be replaced.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There aren't too many places fuel can leak form and you already know "where" or close to where it was leaking from.
You said everything about the mechanics except "they crawled under the vehicle."
Guess I'd go for look under the vehicle with my own 2 eyes before digging in further.
You alluded to it lost alot of gas. IE you think it was leaking continuously for...however long.
I can't explain the mysterious "fix", but a large leak, to me, sounds like the fuel tank, or a hose/drain? coming off the tank. Does a gas generator feed off of the main gas tank?
Lines/filters/evap system would seem to only leak a little until they were empty until the vehicle was run again.

If any large amount came out, you may be able to see at least some evidence of where it was running.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the shop tell you what is above those brackets? I would be pulling stuff apart but I hate working on overhead fuel systems.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> The case of the disappearing gas leak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.