cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making new center console UPDATE!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The OE dash layout is terrible at best! The monitor is too low and the radio is so low it’s almost unusable! And the HVAC controls are far too low. Not to mention the cup holder being on the floor and shallow make them useless.

So I have been working on this off and on. Finally got the console cut and assembled last weekend. I was able to fit it up to the MH on Saturday, fit like a glove, i was impressed that my template was that accurate! LOL I had the face cut out to fit today with backers for support, stability and a place to mount the oak front panel to. Tonite I was able to lay out where I think I want everything.
The open spot on the left below the monitor I’m leaving open. I’m hoping to get a TPMS system and I will probably mount the monitor there, as well as a USB port for the radio. The little round circle at the middle right will be the existing power outlet. Then from there the generator hour meter, and all my switches, I’m adding 2 more for future use. The large circle at the left side will be my new USB charging outlet with built in voltage display. The open area at the bottom will not be used. I am going to make a console with built in cup holders and hopefully if I have the room a small drawer under that. That will be after I get the console installed back in the motor home.
Here are some pics.

In the 1st pic you can see how much higher and closer the monitor and radio will be.

I don’t have all the supports installed for the front panel/face yet. The face will be installed with small machine screws with T-nuts in the wood supports. This way I don’t have to worry about stripping out the wood where the screws would go in. The console is a little tall but it doesn’t block my view out of the windshield. It’s no higher than the speedo cluster. From the outside it stands out. But I have a plan for the front of it that you can see from the outside. I’m wrapping the console in matching vinyl if I can find the color. If not I’m going with a dark brown which will be a nice contrast and match the interior. The oak face I’m going to stain to try and match the plastic wood look of the original console. I’m done for now till after Christmas.
I’ll update again if I do anything else.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
14 REPLIES 14

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can buy plastic screw caps/covers that will provide a decorative cover for your screws. They are not expensive and the cover caps just snap on.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Looking nice indeed!

For the screws, I've taken to making black screws by "painting" their heads with a black permanent marker.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
stripit wrote:
I would say you did a fantastic job!

Thanks. I always like little projects like this. Now to see how it actually looks in front of the dash.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I would say you did a fantastic job!
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Another update

Well I am just about done. Only thing left is to cut and stain some oak trim to cover the staples. Turned out pretty good. The Stan is abit dark, but it should be close to the dash wood look trim.

I'm not sure on the stainless screws! I'll leave them for now, but if I don't like them I'll get some black oxide screws so they don't stand out.

Now I need to get the MH home and install it. Then I can work on my lower console with the cupholders.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Another update!
My wife got me the radio for Christmas. And she surprised me and got me the TST tire pressure monitor. Everything fits great. This week I will figure out the radio mounting and then start working on on staining the front panel and finding the material to wrap the console.

I’ll update again soon.
Merry Christmas!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice attention to detail. Look forward to seeing the end product!

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice! Any time you decide to come to Oregon let me know, you can build another one for me.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok made some progress. Got the oak face cutout, still waiting on the radio (hopefully for Christmas) then i can make that cutout. I got all the spacers for the back side to mount everything. Still trying to find the material to wrap the console, probably go with a dark brown.

The monitor is temporarily mounted. I'm thinking of just using some 1/4" oak to mount it. It's a little floppy right now. Or I may use another piece of channel at the bottom to hold it solid. The small cubby is for the TST TPMS color monitor. I still need to cutout and install 2 power outlets, 1 on each side of the switches.

I'll update again after I get the radio mounted up.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it came from the factory that way. Nice job!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. The dog house will still be able to come off. Even with the old setup you had to remove it to access the cover. It’s only going to be about 4 screws 2 on the top and 2 on the dog house. Then just lift it and pull the doghouse out.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
How difficult will it be to remove the engine cover ("doghouse") when this installation is complete?
It won't work in mine. There is a storage compartment in the center top of the dash. This would block the lid.
Beautiful job of fitment, though!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
That looks great. It just goes to show that owning any RV is an ongoing process. It seems we are always "improving" what the factory did. :B

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
That's nice work! While we have a "C" and not an "A", I also have issue with the touch screen radio/CD/DVD/Nav system. I literally can't see it due to the angle I'm sitting, the angle it is (facing straight back), and glare. Thankfully, we have a passenger (either my wife or oldest daughter) who will sit up front and change the tunes or whatever.

I use a Garmin GPS that sits on the dash so I solved my similar issue a different way...BUT, way to go on the upgraded console!