cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone advise what hitch options would work well with the following setup?

Truck is a 2019 MegaCab Dually with 6'4" bed, and factory prep for 5th wheel/Gooseneck.

5th wheel being considered is a GD Solitude 310GK.

My knowledge in this area is very minimal! I only know that some hitches can work with my truck 5th wheel prep and some can't. I also know that the king pin/box on the 5th wheel may be changed to aid turning with the short box of the truck. Lastly, I understand that some setups don't have the ability to deal very well with lateral movement between truck and 5th wheel - creating a lot of stress on the hitch interface?

Whatever knowledge and recommendation you can offer would be much appreciated.
Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
99 REPLIES 99

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DesertDogs wrote:
Greg... no worries. I'm new to all of this so, of course, trying to do due diligence to learn as much as I can about all of the options. There is a lot to consider, if one is to fully understand the pros and cons of each option.

Thus,I'm taking my time to learn as much as I can and I haven't ruled anything out yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

Still considering Andersen, BW, going to look more into Blue Ox's offering. Does Reese have a good slider option?

And does anyone know if the PullRite slider fits the RAM OEM factory pucks?

Pull rite is a nice hitch BUT you have to be nearly straight to hitch and unhitch.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
If I was getting a 5th wheel hitch again today it would be the B&W RVK3670(direct puck installation for RAM). I use a HF hoist to put my hitch in and out of the truck. Removing this base by a single adult would be a chore. However you would have one of the best hitches available. The 304 lb hitch will make the RAM ride better when not towing. Chris

THANK YOU!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"And does anyone know if the PullRite slider fits the RAM OEM factory pucks"

Yes, as I mentioned on page 1, they have stepped up to a direct fit to pucks.

Also mentioned the 3600 adjustable non-slider. Adjust it back, until you are comfortable.

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DesertDogs wrote:
Greg... no worries. I'm new to all of this so, of course, trying to do due diligence to learn as much as I can about all of the options. There is a lot to consider, if one is to fully understand the pros and cons of each option.

Thus,I'm taking my time to learn as much as I can and I haven't ruled anything out yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

Still considering Andersen, BW, going to look more into Blue Ox's offering. Does Reese have a good slider option?

I'll answer this ,no the Superglide needs the adapter if you go the ISR series , or I believe they have whats called the super rails, but no direct fit.

Yes, Reese has a great slider offering, I also own one of those ,as said towed with it for 12 years. but they are monsters, you need hoists ,two people, disassemble whatever, but you don't remove them with one person in one piece.

My suggestion , you seem skeptical on other things. Get the direct fit B&W , super great hitch, no adapter , install one of those cheap HF hoists in your garage ,and be done .

We have the shortest of the three short beds . A manual slider under normal driving ,turning corners , in ,and out of truck stops, no extreme tight turn arounds , no problem.. Tight backing , tight turn arounds , remember you got a manual slider, you better use it, thats the biggest problem I see with a manual slider ,thinking you can get by not using it. You have to get out ,pull the handle , pull forward let it slide back, be gentle or it slams back ,make sure it locked in the rear position ,and then continue on .

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DesertDogs wrote:
Me Again wrote:
If I was getting a 5th wheel hitch again today it would be the B&W RVK3670(direct puck installation for RAM). I use a HF hoist to put my hitch in and out of the truck. Removing this base by a single adult would be a chore. However you would have one of the best hitches available. The 304 lb hitch will make the RAM ride better when not towing. Chris

Chris... that sounds like a great hitch. But jeez, over 300 lbs. You'd think they could lighten that base a bit? Does the base break down into lighter weight parts that one person could handle?

My only issue is that there is no one who could help me remove and replace the hitch in the truck. I see a $99 hoist on Harbor Freight - I guess I could just use that.

My only concern with the Andersen is the possibility of ball failure - there is a lot of weight and force on just a single ball. I'm sure that ball failure is not very likely, but it does happen.

Let me put your mind at ease with that ball, there has NEVER been a failure of ANY kind ball or otherwise with the Andersen rail mount hitch, NONE !!!!!!!!!

You say failure is not likely ,but it does happen , No it does not with the Andersen. I welcome ANYONE to say it has .

Yes, I have the Harbor freight hoist in my garage, if I didn't , I would have to disassemble my Reese slider to remove . These manual sliders are monsters .

But if worried get that B&W , get a hoist installed , and be done with this. Its been beat to death . I personally don't care what hitch you get. You asked ,and I have told you all there is to know about the Andersen ,and MY experience with it. I just don't care much for all the speculation ,opinions ,and not having a clue how well the Andersen works, yet they continue. It grows tiresome . I'm done here about this Andersen hitch ,as said you know what experience I have with it. I'm happy with it , and will continue to tow with it.

Please carry on ,I'm going fishing ๐Ÿ˜›

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
If I was getting a 5th wheel hitch again today it would be the B&W RVK3670(direct puck installation for RAM). I use a HF hoist to put my hitch in and out of the truck. Removing this base by a single adult would be a chore. However you would have one of the best hitches available. Chris

Thanks, you left the Andersen alone, if you haven't towed with the rail mount ,then there is nothing to discuss in that regard.

There is no doubt the B&W is a great hitch., I came within one click of a computer key of buying the Pullrite Superglide. Now I am glad I didn't , knowing what I know now. I went with the picture frame adapter , and kept my existing rail mount 18K manual slider.

IMO there is no one hitch that covers it all, this RVK3670, comes close ,you have manual slider , direct fit, buts its manual , and its something you have to deal with. Some miss the point you don't need a slider with the Andersen, and it works well, thats a point some don't seem to understand, or believe.

I have no desire to buy another hitch. But if I had to start from scratch, knowing what I know NOW, I might be tempted to get the B&W 3600, fixed hitch with those four adjustments, and put it 2" behind the axle, its a direct fit to the puck system. Reason for the fixed , instead of say the RVK 3670 with the direct fit. It's simple for me, I have been in that position towing behind the axle with the Andersen , its not an issue. Being that 2" behind the axle ,I have no clearance problems with the cab, and I don't need to mess with a manual slider. I personally don't care for manual sliders, have owned two of them ,and towed with them for 15 years.

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

Chris... that sounds like a great hitch. But jeez, over 300 lbs. You'd think they could lighten that base a bit? Does the base break down into lighter weight parts that one person could handle?

My only issue is that there is no one who could help me remove and replace the hitch in the truck. I see a $99 hoist on Harbor Freight - I guess I could just use that.

My only concern with the Andersen is the possibility of ball failure - there is a lot of weight and force on just a single ball. I'm sure that ball failure is not very likely, but it does happen.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
DesertDogs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
DesertDog you have a great truck why do you want a complicated setup?

The ANDERSEN/adapter setup does NOT allow you to move the hitch back. I would NEVER mount the hitch so the pin is behind the center of the rear axle.

Get the puck mount B&W Slider and never have an issue.

Manual or auto slider?

Can I install and remove by myself?

No complications in use? (Operating the slider feature?)

I am sure Chris MeAgain can elaborate. The B&W does come apart for easier removal. I won't tell you a child can do it. But i will tell you you simply will NOT fine an easier to hitch under any condition or unhitch than any other non air ride hitch. the hitch will lock into the pucks that are directly attached to the truck frame unlike the rail mount ANDERSEN that is held in place with 4 small pins that will move around and make noise.

Post your question on the TDR and see what responses you will get.

I would like to address this a bit also. Ron, how many decades did we pin our fifth wheel hitches to bed rails with those four small pins, come on thats not even worth mentioning. The pins are 1/2" diameter ,and have been used for decades on the bedrails. I am sure some are tighter then others ,but mine are very snug, especially pinning the Andersen to the adapter.

I have had two trucks using those SMALL pins, with three different hitches ,one with bed rails ,one with adapter, and the only noise I get is just a little out of the slider . The Andersen is totally quiet.

Here is what is difficult , and I have a hard time listening too, is when you know you have some experience with a certain hitch or setup, then get asked about it, and give some honest answers, nothing more ,nothing less. Why in the world would I want someone to use that Andersen if there was going to be any problems. It has plenty of clearance, its quiet ,its very simple to hookup.

Chris has a B&W manual slider , mounted to a Demco picture frame adapter. its heavy, its just like my manual slider, he uses an electric hoist mounted in his garage to remove it, same as I have to do. Its simple here ,its either a couple guys to lift them out, disassemble them , or have some kind of hoist.

Ron, here is some suggestions for you ,and I mean them in the kindness way. The OP wants the Andersen ,I have addressed his concerns ,I tow with the setup he wants . Here are the suggestions for you, you need to tow with an Andersen rail mount hitch connected to the picture frame adapter on the Ram puck system, with a short bed Ram 3500 SRW ,or DWR your choice. Then get back to us ,and report your findings ,backing ,turning around ,hitching ,unhitching etc. Or until then why don't you just stick to "WHAT YOU " have experience with, and I will do the same .

You

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DesertDogs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The ANDERSEN/adapter setup does NOT allow you to move the hitch back. I would NEVER mount the hitch so the pin is behind the center of the rear axle.

Manual or auto slider?

I am sure Chris MeAgain can elaborate. The B&W does come apart for easier removal. I won't tell you a child can do it. But i will tell you you simply will NOT fine an easier to hitch under any condition or unhitch than any other non air ride hitch. the hitch will lock into the pucks that are directly attached to the truck frame unlike the rail mount ANDERSEN that is held in place with 4 small pins that will move around and make noise.

Post your question on the TDR and see what responses you will get.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
The TrailerSaver BD3 is easily removed from the bed too. It comes apart in sections and is easy to put back together.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I need to make a few points here everything that you are saying is an opinion. The biggest point to be made here is that you have never towed with a short bed , and this rail mount Andersen. I HAVE.
Another point is I would not tell the gentlemen anything that I have not had experience with.

Now, its not complicated , you mount the adapter,and leave it in the truck, I do. Its not really in the way. Granted you can't move it back, its like any other fixed hitch, but it does have four different combinations to mount.

The biggest point I want to make here is that, as I said, I tow with this combination . The OP has the identical truck as far as the puck system, and length of bed .Only difference is mine is a Megacab 3500 SRW short bed ,his is a Megacab 3500 DRW short bed .

Yes ,you are sitting slightly rear of axle, its set up that way, and I am here to tell you its not an issue . As I have said before I tow with two different hitches ,the Andersen ,and a manual slider thats mounted just slightly forward of the axle. I cannot tell the difference while towing.

I have backed into a lot of tight spots with both hitches, neither has been a problem. The best way I can put this having towed with both hitches . You would have to be a complete air head to hit the cab with the Andersen. I can get in trouble a lot sooner with that Reese hitch mounted a bit further forward , and still I would have to be unconscious .

I could care less what hitch the OP choses, this is not a contest to see who can talk who into what. He wants a hitch he can remove by hand, I did too . The Andersen fits the bill nicely without issues. Sure he can get whatever he choses , but I can tell you with the setup I have with the Andersen , he will not have a problem. I can guarantee one thing if he choses a manual slider, he better pay attention even more ,and use it. The biggest problem I have seen is they got the manual slider ,but failed to use it.

Not sure if you are aware , but the B&W sells a hitch with a kit with four different mounting positions for the RAM truck to accommodate the short bed , and actually putting the hitch 4" rear of center of axle. What does that tell you. Its only for the Ram puck system. I believe its the 3600 B&W . I'll have to look again, it was brought up on the Montana forum .

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Manual or auto slider?