Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A word of caution, do some measurements of your pin box before jumping to an Andersen. I talked to a gentleman with a newer short bed Ram and a busted out rear window. He was pulling a Montana High Country with rounded front corners. With the Andersen adapter facing rearwards his pin box was damaging his tailgate. He turned the adapter around and happily towed for many thousands of miles before he took out his rear window and dented his cab. He did say he lost focus when the incident occurred. I wouldn't run the hitch with the adapter forward with your truck.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

A word of caution, do some measurements of your pin box before jumping to an Andersen. I talked to a gentleman with a newer short bed Ram and a busted out rear window. He was pulling a Montana High Country with rounded front corners. With the Andersen adapter facing rearwards his pin box was damaging his tailgate. He turned the adapter around and happily towed for many thousands of miles before he took out his rear window and dented his cab. He did say he lost focus when the incident occurred. I wouldn't run the hitch with the adapter forward with your truck.

Although thats a possibility ,that gentlemen would of NEVER been able to run an Auto slider, he would of hit every time he turned a corner, that had to be one screwy pin box.Although I have seen where some have had to clip the corners on the pin box, with just a manual slider , its rare, but Its a possibility. Why would the gentlemen not clip the corners. ??? It sounds like it was not making a lot of contact.

I am not sure what you mean, not run the adapter forward, that means putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab to me, I run mine putting the fifth wheel further from the cab, so to me thats the adapter in the rear position . If I have the terminology wrong ,you know I mean .

OP has the same truck as mine, megacab short bed. If he runs it the same as I do ,and the corners are rounded on the fifth wheel , and he has what I would call a normal pin box or the MorRyde pin box, and hopefully he will, there should not be a problem .

DesertDogs

Scottsdale

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

End cap on the Solitude
[image]

Likely pin box that will be on the 2020
[image]

Does either the front cap or the pin box look likely to present a problem to either the rear window, or to the side rails of the truck in tight turns?
Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

* This post was edited 12/13/19 07:46am by an administrator/moderator *

Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't pay extra for the RotoFlex pin box because you will have to lock out its function when using with an Andersen hitch. If you want the chucking control of that pin box, you will have to use it with a conventional hitch.

In my post regarding the broken rear window, the man's trailer was similar to yours in that the front cap tapered forward. His situation involved a tight backing scenario combined with a driveway. When the truck tires hit the driveway dip, the trailer leaned forward, busted the window, and dented the cab near the roof. Not a typical scenario, but many of us have backed tight on uneven terrain. I did witness the bites his pin box took out of the inside of his tailgate. His truck was a beautiful high end model (Platinum if I recall). He was not happy at all.

So, with the adapter in one position, his pin box was impacting his truck. Switch the adapter and out goes the window.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertDogs wrote:

End cap on the Solitude

Likely pin box that will be on the 2020

Does either the front cap or the pin box look likely to present a problem to either the rear window, or to the side rails of the truck in tight turns?

Couple things to remember:

One, the RAM short box is the shortest of the three.

Two, going forward is not a problem, as the truck will not turn tight enough for the trailer to contact the cab. It is backing up where the issue occurs. With a mega cab, the contact will be even farther away from the drivers seat and hard yet to monitor for contact issues.

In the fall of 2015 when we purchased our RAM, I knew I wanted the pucks and installed them myself, as the truck we purchased off the lot had everything else we wanted.

At the time there was not a slider, manual or auto that mounted via the pucks. There is now B&W Slider So I choose the Demco picture frame and the B&W manual slider. Because of the position of the B&W latch handle and the front bed box I had, I had to slide the hitch to uncouple. So I became SOP to slide the hitch back at check in and forward after straighten out of the street to exit a park or campground. So I never had an issue. With an auto slider I would have had a problem releasing the trailer as the handle would not clear the front box.

I used a HF hoist to lift the hitch and picture frame in and out of the truck as a single unit. I ran without the trail gate as I had a V-Box behind the hitch. I modified the front box twice. This box had been in my 1993 and 2001.5 RAMs. The first mod was step in the rear low side to clear the Demco picture frame and when we bought the Big Horn, I had to shorted the box from to back to clear the bigger pin box.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 12/13/19 06:12am by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding pin box mount flanges, I cut them off on our Cardinal 5th wheel.

[image]

[image]

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertDogs wrote:

Pictures

If you use this link to post pictures they will come out to correct size. http://photoposting.is-great.net/

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" I knew I wanted the pucks and installed them myself"

Full disclosure! "WE" had a time planned to do the pucks. Someone got antsy and got it done before I could help.[emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DesertDogs

Scottsdale

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

DesertDogs wrote:

Pictures

If you use this link to post pictures they will come out to correct size. http://photoposting.is-great.net/

Sorry about the photo size. I'm used to forums which automatically size them down for regular forum viewing and then allow them to be enlarged by clicking on the picture.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Don't pay extra for the RotoFlex pin box because you will have to lock out its function when using with an Andersen hitch. If you want the chucking control of that pin box, you will have to use it with a conventional hitch.

In my post regarding the broken rear window, the man's trailer was similar to yours in that the front cap tapered forward. His situation involved a tight backing scenario combined with a driveway. When the truck tires hit the driveway dip, the trailer leaned forward, busted the window, and dented the cab near the roof. Not a typical scenario, but many of us have backed tight on uneven terrain. I did witness the bites his pin box took out of the inside of his tailgate. His truck was a beautiful high end model (Platinum if I recall). He was not happy at all.

So, with the adapter in one position, his pin box was impacting his truck. Switch the adapter and out goes the window.

Let me ask again, was there a reason he just didn't clip the corners of the pin box. Its usually pretty obvious , and does not hurt to do it .

As far as the front cap , they are all pretty much that way, with the corners rounded off .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.