cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof: Not leaking, but 20 yrs old

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Mallard 19ft travel trailer. I use it frequently. I was installing a rear camera when I got a closeup look at the roof. While it is not leaking, I got to thinking maybe it is time to shore it up,

Lowes/HomeDepot sell that while goop stuff that comes in a large can. Can I smear that stuff over the existing roof?

What about using something like FlexTape then smear the goop over the roof. Let's say around the edges, and near the AC and vents.

What suggestions on a better way or to proceed?

I am taking the trailer from CenCal to Kansas in or late mid-January 21 for some business with the courts, lawyers, trust,,,I sorta kinda would like the roof to be solid. I am sure I probably will encounter some rough weather while in Medicine Lodge. Luckily the Suburban tower is 4x4.

I just feel that after 20 years I might be well advised to treat the roof of the trailer before taking off.
23 REPLIES 23

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Are you keeping this trailer? If so spend the money and have it reroofed! You could use the rubber roof coating but even after a good cleaning you are going over a roof that is at the end of its life.

My trailer roof was going on 13 years old with regular maintenance (inspecting and sealing anything that looked suspect). I too was going to coat it, but wasn’t sure about the longevity of that and at a cost of around $500-$600 I want sure.

In the end we traded it in on a MH with a fiberglass roof. I thought that was much smarter!!!!! :R :B
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is 10 years old and so far no problems. Once a year I seal an occasional crack in the original sealant.

The roof was built well the first time, I expect it to last until the edges wear thin or a roof member gives way.

It is an early "lite" model and I cannot walk on the roof. That maybe why it is still tight.

Sometimes it is just dumb luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
RustyMacIntosh wrote:
1999 Mallard 19ft travel trailer. I use it frequently. I was installing a rear camera when I got a closeup look at the roof. While it is not leaking, I got to thinking maybe it is time to shore it up,

Lowes/HomeDepot sell that while goop stuff that comes in a large can. Can I smear that stuff over the existing roof?

What about using something like FlexTape then smear the goop over the roof. Let's say around the edges, and near the AC and vents.

What suggestions on a better way or to proceed?

I am taking the trailer from CenCal to Kansas in or late mid-January 21 for some business with the courts, lawyers, trust,,,I sorta kinda would like the roof to be solid. I am sure I probably will encounter some rough weather while in Medicine Lodge. Luckily the Suburban tower is 4x4.

I just feel that after 20 years I might be well advised to treat the roof of the trailer before taking off.

Forget about Flex Tape, and Flex Seal.
The more expensive options also are the best options.
I redid the roof of my 1975 Fleetwood Prowler with Eternabond.
Do it right the first time. I did the work myself. I put a couple layers on in 3 days. Pretty easy work, even for an old man with bad knees...

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
I’d replace the rubber roof and all the roof vents and other roof penetrations if you are going to do it.

That way you get to put eyes on the roof decking. You may be surprised what you find.

Remember that there are three kinds of RV’s

1) those that have leaked
2) those that will leak
3) those that are currently leaking

JMHO based on experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Scooter Alfa wrote:
Funny, right here read it! https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/literature/Tropi-Cool-RV-brochure_web.pdf get it at Home Depot

Well, darn. I missed the part of the TDS that mentioned RV.
Per Emily Of SNL, “Never mind”.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Get a moisture meter, probe-equipped. And go over the floor/wall joint, every foot. You’ll likely find what you don’t want.

The time to do so (assuming outdoor uncovered storage) is after a period of prolonged rain. Not the high heat of summer.

I’d also keep a hygrometer mounted inside. Fall thru spring can show elevated humidity. Which may not be a leak, but sure worsens one. (I’ve always kept a large floor-rolling dehumidifier in a trailer. Can take more than a week to bring saturated air down under 40%; all cabinetry/storage opened).

The roof is a good idea. But window/door/compartment seals are also in need of replacement.

Awnings? Usually have to be removed.

Roof penetrations? Best to redo them all.

The roof is but one part.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would inspect and caulk as needed with Dicor self leveling and not worry one wit.
Are you planning to keep it another 20 years?

Same as at home I wait for an actual leak then replace.

Scooter_Alfa
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, right here read it! https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/literature/Tropi-Cool-RV-brochurehttps://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/literature/Tropi-Cool-RV-brochure_web.pdf_web.pdf get it at Home Depot

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of curiosity, I went to Henry’s website. I could not find anything for RV roofs. I’ve used their products for years on and in houses.
A quick search led to several other manufacturers that make products for RV roofs, but Henry was not mentioned.
People at Lowe’s or HD may or may not be qualified to sell their products; usually not really in my experience.
If I ever decide to coat the roof, I’ll go with a product I know is made for the application.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
For the time being, I am holding off. At Lowes there was a 2nd product that was twice as expensive as Henry, RED DEVIL (???) $230 bucks a 5-gallon container. The adage that you get what you pay for??

I think I might contact a few companies that say they re-seal roofs. While mine is not leaking, it IS 20 years old. I want it done once and right.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't use the stuff from Lowes unless you really don't care about keeping that RV. That stuff will work but, it's inferior to what's on your roof and what you should use. At the very least use EPDM liquid rubber or some other compliant product. I had a raggedy old motorhome that I was constantly fighting leaks with. I used that stuff from Lowes and it worked..but.. I had to reapply at least every year to keep the RV dry inside. Until it's completely and utterly dry it will turn back into goo when rained on. EPDM rubber can get rained on immediately and still seal. It's a totally different animal. It will seal when still tacky. Look up RV roof coatings. Also, take your time. Clean that roof like you were going to eat on it before putting anything on it.

I fought the leaky RV roof battle and it's no fun. Yours isn't leaking. You should be very thankful for that. Do everything you can to keep it that way. This is a scenario where an ounce of prevention is very much worth a pound of cure.

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
General wear and tear. Nothing more. We had some rain last week, there was some chalk residue in the rain runoff. Nothing more than that. The man at Lowes said that the Henry roof sealant had to be put on when we have sun for 24 hours. Right now we are into the fog season, no sun.

No leaks either.

Scooter_Alfa
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Home Depot and get Henry's Silicon 887. Go to the Henry Roofing site and read about it.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
At 20-years I would coat the roof, as described above.

Not just smear it on..... but take time to do a good job.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer