Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roof: Not leaking, but 20 yrs old
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Roof: Not leaking, but 20 yrs old

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1999 Mallard 19ft travel trailer. I use it frequently. I was installing a rear camera when I got a closeup look at the roof. While it is not leaking, I got to thinking maybe it is time to shore it up,

Lowes/HomeDepot sell that while goop stuff that comes in a large can. Can I smear that stuff over the existing roof?

What about using something like FlexTape then smear the goop over the roof. Let's say around the edges, and near the AC and vents.

What suggestions on a better way or to proceed?

I am taking the trailer from CenCal to Kansas in or late mid-January 21 for some business with the courts, lawyers, trust,,,I sorta kinda would like the roof to be solid. I am sure I probably will encounter some rough weather while in Medicine Lodge. Luckily the Suburban tower is 4x4.

I just feel that after 20 years I might be well advised to treat the roof of the trailer before taking off.

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you maintained the seams on the sides? Windows, corners etc. for instance?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. 20 years and no leaks you are very lucky

2. While your roof may or may not be rubber, I would not use Lowes white Goop. I would use the more expensive RV rubber roof repair goop.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be more concerned about making sure it's caulked at every seam where water can enter.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would first wash and clean loose caulk off the roof. Then, cover the seams and edges with Eternabond and Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant.

Finally (assuming it is a rubber roof) I would coat the roof with Heng's Rubber Roof coating. It needs no primer and goes on easily.
Or use the coating of your choice. Whatever you chose, make sure the seams and caulking is in good condition.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

I would first wash and clean loose caulk off the roof. Then, cover the seams and edges with Eternabond and Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant.

Finally (assuming it is a rubber roof) I would coat the roof with Heng's Rubber Roof coating. It needs no primer and goes on easily.
Or use the coating of your choice. Whatever you chose, make sure the seams and caulking is in good condition.
X2

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Googling (actually I use DuckGoGo) I see both Lowes and HomeD have Eternabond and sealant. I'm heading out soon to both locations to look for supplies. The roof I have no idea what it is. It is NOT leaking, But after 20 yrs and constant use, I think it is time to do some preventative work on it.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are you seeing that makes you want to treat the roof? Are you seeing the black roof showing through the white outer coating? Or are you seeing cracks in the roof that are nowhere near any caulked penetrations? Or are you just looking at the general state of the caulked joints and they are all cracked or peeling?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

gbopp wrote:

X2

Yep.

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I would coat the roof with Heng's Rubber Roof coating. It needs no primer and goes on easily.”

That’s my yearly routine, gbopp.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Roof: Not leaking, but 20 yrs old
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.