Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roof: Not leaking, but 20 yrs old
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Roof: Not leaking, but 20 yrs old

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 20-years I would coat the roof, as described above.

Not just smear it on..... but take time to do a good job.

Scooter Alfa

Central Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 12:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to Home Depot and get Henry's Silicon 887. Go to the Henry Roofing site and read about it.

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

General wear and tear. Nothing more. We had some rain last week, there was some chalk residue in the rain runoff. Nothing more than that. The man at Lowes said that the Henry roof sealant had to be put on when we have sun for 24 hours. Right now we are into the fog season, no sun.

No leaks either.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't use the stuff from Lowes unless you really don't care about keeping that RV. That stuff will work but, it's inferior to what's on your roof and what you should use. At the very least use EPDM liquid rubber or some other compliant product. I had a raggedy old motorhome that I was constantly fighting leaks with. I used that stuff from Lowes and it worked..but.. I had to reapply at least every year to keep the RV dry inside. Until it's completely and utterly dry it will turn back into goo when rained on. EPDM rubber can get rained on immediately and still seal. It's a totally different animal. It will seal when still tacky. Look up RV roof coatings. Also, take your time. Clean that roof like you were going to eat on it before putting anything on it.

I fought the leaky RV roof battle and it's no fun. Yours isn't leaking. You should be very thankful for that. Do everything you can to keep it that way. This is a scenario where an ounce of prevention is very much worth a pound of cure.

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the time being, I am holding off. At Lowes there was a 2nd product that was twice as expensive as Henry, RED DEVIL (???) $230 bucks a 5-gallon container. The adage that you get what you pay for??

I think I might contact a few companies that say they re-seal roofs. While mine is not leaking, it IS 20 years old. I want it done once and right.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just out of curiosity, I went to Henry’s website. I could not find anything for RV roofs. I’ve used their products for years on and in houses.
A quick search led to several other manufacturers that make products for RV roofs, but Henry was not mentioned.
People at Lowe’s or HD may or may not be qualified to sell their products; usually not really in my experience.
If I ever decide to coat the roof, I’ll go with a product I know is made for the application.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Scooter Alfa

Central Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny, right here read it! https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/literature/Tropi-Cool-RV-brochurehttps://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/literature/Tropi-Cool-RV-brochure_web.pdf_web.pdf get it at Home Depot

* This post was edited 12/12/19 07:10pm by Scooter Alfa *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would inspect and caulk as needed with Dicor self leveling and not worry one wit.
Are you planning to keep it another 20 years?

Same as at home I wait for an actual leak then replace.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Slowmover

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a moisture meter, probe-equipped. And go over the floor/wall joint, every foot. You’ll likely find what you don’t want.

The time to do so (assuming outdoor uncovered storage) is after a period of prolonged rain. Not the high heat of summer.

I’d also keep a hygrometer mounted inside. Fall thru spring can show elevated humidity. Which may not be a leak, but sure worsens one. (I’ve always kept a large floor-rolling dehumidifier in a trailer. Can take more than a week to bring saturated air down under 40%; all cabinetry/storage opened).

The roof is a good idea. But window/door/compartment seals are also in need of replacement.

Awnings? Usually have to be removed.

Roof penetrations? Best to redo them all.

The roof is but one part.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scooter Alfa wrote:

Funny, right here read it! https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/literature/Tropi-Cool-RV-brochure_web.pdf get it at Home Depot

Well, darn. I missed the part of the TDS that mentioned RV.
Per Emily Of SNL, “Never mind”.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Roof: Not leaking, but 20 yrs old
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.