Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Leaking door on house-thoughts?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Leaking door on house-thoughts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a double-door entry from our basement to the back yard. The doors have leaked at the bottom since the house was built. We had a patio built just outside the doors which was supposed to alleviate the issue but it has not. The water is not coming in underneath the bottom of the doors but up through the frame/threshold area. Hubby resealed it but it continues. Thoughts on where the water may be coming from and how to prevent it? Thanks.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Often water will run down the foundation wall, to the level that dirt was not disturbed, or to the footing. Then move at that level and if may show at that level. Walk around the house. Anyplace the ground does not slope away from foundation, remove the vegetation, and build the ground level with dirt, preferably clay, and compact it. Make sure no water can run towards the foundation.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need pictures.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Need pictures.

Yes, as wide a view as practical ...

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll see if I can get (and post!) some pictures. Problem is I no longer have a hosting website since Photobucket wants me to pay and I won't.

Anyplace the ground does not slope away from foundation

It's only that one spot and the patio does slope away, therefore the puzzlement.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use this web site.
Just do a drag & drop from your PC.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

donfla

home

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you mentioned a patio my guess is water is dripping off of the eave and splashing on the door getting in where the door meets the jamb seal. Very common to see here on side garage doors that have a concrete door pad and no gutter above and eventually leads to rotting at the base of the door and jambs.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

I'll see if I can get (and post!) some pictures. Problem is I no longer have a hosting website since Photobucket wants me to pay and I won't.

Anyplace the ground does not slope away from foundation

It's only that one spot and the patio does slope away, therefore the puzzlement.

Try to explain better. The picture in my head is the door out the basement is the lowest place on the foundation, is that right? If the ground slopes down toward the the front of the house, (walk out basement normally built on a hillside) any runoff water will flow down the top of the ground, until it gets to the front of the foundation, then down face of the concrete. Once it gets to the footing, flows on top of it. At the doorway, the floor is no higher than the footing.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you mentioned a patio my guess is water is dripping off of the eave and splashing on the door getting in where the door meets the jamb seal. Very common to see here on side garage doors that have a concrete door pad and no gutter above and eventually leads to rotting at the base of the door and jambs.

Exactly. Let me give some history. House was built without gutters and we had the problem. Gutters were installed (with gutter guards) and problem pretty much disappeared. We just had a major snowfall and now a rapid warm-up with rain so there's now some ice build up in the gutters, causing spillover onto the patio. Hubby's thought was maybe this spring to have a roof over the area. 2 sides can attach to the house (we have a bump out next to that area) and one side would have a post. I will probably contact our original builder to get his opinion as we are not sure how it would look.

FYI, I have no spatial relations ability and not that technical, so my original description was a bit vague. Donfla, thanks for your ability to interpret my sketchy thoughts.

Fizz, thanks for the pic link.

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure that slope around the entire house is away from the house.. water can go many directions underground if it is not “ managed” away from the house. If need be consider gutters and down spouts.

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Leaking door on house-thoughts?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.