Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Yamaha Generator question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Yamaha Generator question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
EnzoColorado

Colorado

Full Member

Joined: 10/23/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm brand new to using generators.

A few months ago I bought a new Yamaha EF2000ISV2 generator. When I hooked it up to my travel trailer and try to run the microwave, the light in the microwave flickers and I can hear the sound from the microwave is lower and fluctuate compared to when connected to a outlet. I tried both the smart throttle setting and the full setting, both result in the same thing. I also noticed when the microwave is on, the generator's motor's pitch and frequency seems to be lower. The microwave also doesn't seem to heat up food much. Is there something wrong with the generator or am I not using it correctly? n


2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2010 Suburban 1500 4WD 5.3L V8, 6L80, 4.10

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The micro and battery charger (if batts are down) both have large inrushes of current upon startup. Gen is working hard so what you see is to be expected.
I would monitor the voltage to make sure it doens't dip too much, which will kill the mocro.


Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what else is on at the same time.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious what this thread comes up with. I get the same thing with my Honda eu2000i and the generator. I can hear the microwave running slower than normal and the interior light is dimmer as well. It doesn't matter if I switch the eco throttle off, nor does it seem to matter if I flip the breaker on the charger. I'm boondocking at the time so everything is on propane.


2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/09/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Voltage does sag a bit toward maximum output on these generators.
To isolate the issue turn ALL breakers off except the main and dedicated microwave circuit.
Measure and post the voltage at the breaker. Might need true RMS meter.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BFL13

Victoria, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2006

View Profile



Posted: 12/09/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"the time so everything is on propane"

The converter is not on propane. So that plus the MW can overload the generator.

TV sets that are "off" are actually still on, but on standby, which can add a little. Electric heater? Hairdryer? Wall warts? It all adds up.


1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

..Honda eu2000i and the generator. I can hear the microwave running slower than normal and the interior light is dimmer as well.
Tell us the wattage of your MW. Many have the same wattage as your a/c. That's a whallop.

* This post was edited 12/09/19 02:01pm by 2oldman *

road-runner

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 05/03/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Voltage does sag a bit toward maximum output on these generators.
This is the likely answer and a good voltage measurement is the only way to know for sure. The eu2000i voltage goes down to about 110 when it's heavily loaded. If your shore power is a solid 120 volts or higher, you'll see and hear the difference. It's easy to mistakenly think there aren't any other loads on the generator when there really are. Fridge and converter are the common culprits. A 1000 watt microwave pulls close to the rated load of a 2000 VA generator. If there are any other AC loads, high ambient temperature, or high altitude involved, an additional load will push the generator close to or over it's shutdown threshold. When the generator is heavily loaded, the only thing the eco switch will do is enhance the probability of the load device starting up. Once it's running, the eco switch does nothing.


2009 Fleetwood Icon

EnzoColorado

Colorado

Full Member

Joined: 10/23/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Voltage does sag a bit toward maximum output on these generators.
This is the likely answer and a good voltage measurement is the only way to know for sure. The eu2000i voltage goes down to about 110 when it's heavily loaded. If your shore power is a solid 120 volts or higher, you'll see and hear the difference. It's easy to mistakenly think there aren't any other loads on the generator when there really are. Fridge and converter are the common culprits. A 1000 watt microwave pulls close to the rated load of a 2000 VA generator. If there are any other AC loads, high ambient temperature, or high altitude involved, an additional load will push the generator close to or over it's shutdown threshold. When the generator is heavily loaded, the only thing the eco switch will do is enhance the probability of the load device starting up. Once it's running, the eco switch does nothing.


Okay, next time (spring) I'll shut off the converter and turn off the fridge (which uses propane to cool but electricity for the control circuit), and lights. We don't have TV or any other electrical stuff. We generally camp at 9000 ft or higher so that may have to do with decreased output of the generator.

DR650

TX

Full Member

Joined: 06/29/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same issue with my microwave when powering it with a single Honda EU2000 generator.
Elevation will diminish the performance of generators (I see Colorado in your username). When I'm camping in Colorado and need to use the microwave I go ahead and parallel both of my Honda's together.


2008 F350 V10, Auto, Crew Cab, XLT, Long Bed
2005 Rockwood 2104
2017 Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport Motorcycle


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Yamaha Generator question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.