cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter Panel "Latch"

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
The "latch" that holds my converter panel closed broke. The latch is similar to what is on the outside fridge panel. Plastic part that you just twist to open/close. I've tried some googling, but come up with nothing. Probably using the wrong term.

Can anybody point me to a source or suggest an alternative?

Thanks,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
11 REPLIES 11

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
2oldman wrote:
craz z wrote:
Here is what your looking for. They are off the charts expensive so be careful when installing.
$3.50 each is expensive?

Expensive yes, unaffordable probably not. But those latches probably cost less than a penny each to make. Even if they were a dime each $3.50 is crazy expensive for what you get.

It's like the cup of coffee or tea or a glass of coke at a restaurant; you're mainly paying for the service rather than the product. In this case, it's the packaging, inventorying and warehousing, order fulfilment, etc. that cost a bunch. $3.50 really doesn't seem out of line to me for a relatively low-volume specialized doodad.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I have literally installed hundreds with a hammer- never broke one.
-- Chris Bryant

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
If u read the reviews on the first link especially the 1 stars you'll quickly see how hard inserting the lock into the latch even if using a hammer. one guy bought 7 sets and broke most of them amazon is good at returns but even at 6$ if you break 7 sets that's 42$ not that you'd pay all that but still.

All I can say is take your time and take a break when your ready to smash it.

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
I picked the cheapest one. here is a name brand one with a price that's out of this world but hey it's got great reviews! U might even get 2 based on the great reviews haha it's one of those items with great profit margins

Latch

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
2oldman wrote:
craz z wrote:
Here is what your looking for. They are off the charts expensive so be careful when installing.
$3.50 each is expensive?

Expensive yes, unaffordable probably not. But those latches probably cost less than a penny each to make. Even if they were a dime each $3.50 is crazy expensive for what you get.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the link and the install tips. I'll add this to my next Amazon order. The hardest part for me with the install will be to get down on my hands and knees(and back up again)! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
When mine broke I called and they sent them for free.
try this number... 877-294-8997
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
craz z wrote:
$3.50 each is expensive?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
craz z wrote:
Latch

for whatever reason they mold the catch and lock together separating and mating the 2 together can be where the frustration begins

The shorter one pictured is for the converter, the longer is plastic reefer vent.

I honestly never had a problem installing- orient it correctly, slip it into the hole, and whack the center part with a hammer, which will seat it correctly.
-- Chris Bryant

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
The "latch" that holds my converter panel closed broke. The latch is similar to what is on the outside fridge panel. Plastic part that you just twist to open/close. I've tried some googling, but come up with nothing. Probably using the wrong term.

Can anybody point me to a source or suggest an alternative?

Thanks,

Duct tape.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
Latch

for whatever reason they mold the catch and lock together separating and mating the 2 together can be where the frustration begins.

I think i bought this one too as i will use tape or something else then buy a name brand one 20$ these are worth less then 10 cents.

I use caution when ever using these whether on the fridge or converter panel. Up is unlocked sideways is locked. carefully make sure the latch is all the way in before locking. NEVER FORCE they will always break as do they degrade over long time periods.

take your time separating the 2 and even more time pressing the lock into the latch or you will break the new one.

They make them tight so the lock cant jiggle back out. I dont have any great tricks to get them in i think i pressed it in until my finger bled probably broke one of them an somehow got them to go in. Good luck. mine has been in service for a few years after you figure it out