Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Deadbolt suggestions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
djglover7

Texas

New Member

Joined: 11/04/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forum,

I have an LQ horse trailer RV. It appears to have standard RV components.

I would like to add an independent deadbolt to the primary passenger door (i.e. front door). I want it to be a "double key".

Any suggestions? There is very little to no components or parts on the interweb.

Dennis

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 12/09/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't a standard deadbolt like what they have in hardware stores? You can take it out and bring it to a locksmith if not.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


djglover7

Texas

New Member

Joined: 11/04/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Isn't a standard deadbolt like what they have in hardware stores? You can take it out and bring it to a locksmith if not.


I will look into that option but I was hoping there was an application that took into account the narrow thickness of the door.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the pictures I could find, it appears that at least some of the entry doors use standard RV lock sets. There are a number of replacement lock sets available. Tri-Mark makes a bunch of the OEM lock sets with deadbolt and locking latch. I think there's only a handful of unique keys and many use the same key.

There are a number of electronic and/or wireless lock sets available as well. AP Products and RVLock brands are readily available on Amazon among other places. I believe RVLock claims some uniqueness in the keys, but I'm not sure how much. The "deadbolts" for all of the locksets are pretty flimsy.

If you're looking for something more secure that just drops in, I'm not sure there's a lot of offerings, but lets face there are usually a lot of entry points that are at least as vulnerable on an RV or horse trailer.


2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go for a surface mount residential deadbolt (sometimes called a rim lock or, for certain designs a Segal lock). It should be easier to mount on a thin door than a tubular or mortise lock.

Give a little thought to how you would get out in the event of a fire. You have very little time to do that in an RV fire, much less than in a typical house fire, and fumbling with a key to open the door could be problematic.





philh

Belleville MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/11/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the tougher you make it for a criminal to get in, the more damage they will do getting into the trailer.

djglover7

Texas

New Member

Joined: 11/04/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/10/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I'd go for a surface mount residential deadbolt (sometimes called a rim lock or, for certain designs a Segal lock). It should be easier to mount on a thin door than a tubular or mortise lock.

Give a little thought to how you would get out in the event of a fire. You have very little time to do that in an RV fire, much less than in a typical house fire, and fumbling with a key to open the door could be problematic.


Good suggestions, thank you (I did not know what those locks were called).

The trailer has emergency windows so I think I am willing to go with an additional deadbolt.

I just want to get away from the standard keys that come with these RV lock sets. Just need to stop or slow down the opportunistic/dumb thief.

djglover7

Texas

New Member

Joined: 11/04/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/12/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djglover7 wrote:

DrewE wrote:

I'd go for a surface mount residential deadbolt (sometimes called a rim lock or, for certain designs a Segal lock). It should be easier to mount on a thin door than a tubular or mortise lock.

Give a little thought to how you would get out in the event of a fire. You have very little time to do that in an RV fire, much less than in a typical house fire, and fumbling with a key to open the door could be problematic.


Good suggestions, thank you (I did not know what those locks were called).

The trailer has emergency windows so I think I am willing to go with an additional deadbolt.

I just want to get away from the standard keys that come with these RV lock sets. Just need to stop or slow down the opportunistic/dumb thief.


I have also just found out that the Segal brand provides a double cylinder with a different interior key. The interior key will not open the lock from the outside.

Benji888578

Savannah GA

New Member

Joined: 01/14/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/14/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just happened across rv deadbolts this week, looking to install one myself, here’s one, I’m sure you can find on other websites as well...***Link Removed***

Link removed? Can’t post links to other websites? Makes life difficult!

I found on etrailer deadbolt for RVs uses standard house type key, either key or lever inside. “ Valterra Deadbolt Lock for RVs or Mobile Homes - Double Cylinder - Stainless Steel - 5/8" Throw”

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/14/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Benji888578 wrote:

I just happened across rv deadbolts this week, looking to install one myself, here’s one, I’m sure you can find on other websites as well...***Link Removed***

Link removed? Can’t post links to other websites? Makes life difficult!


It will strip out links (to any website, I think) for the first few posts one makes, maybe ten. That is mainly an attempt to combat spammers. After that probationary period, you can post links.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.