cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Portable Propane Gas Grill Do You Use?

stumper92
Explorer
Explorer
Posting this in the truck camper section because I think we have a unique challenge for storage space. I recently scrapped my Coleman Tailgater Grill as it had rusted out and the regulator no longer worked. I am now looking for a replacement grill. Although I liked the tailgater overall, it took up a fair bit of space. I would like to find a smaller grill that can be easily stored in a truck camper size closet. I would prefer something that maybe fits into a storage bag or some container to prevent the dirty bits from coming into contact with other things being stored in the same closet. Does anyone use a grill, that you consider quality, that would meet those requirements?
41 REPLIES 41

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Same here too. The best one! The Weber 1 grill Portable Grill is excellent for RV and campground use and also for use at home too. Just $69.95 at most stores and does an excellent grilling job and uses a one pound LP cylinder or a 20# or larger gas cylinder, your choice.

We have had many different PP grills over the years (55) and this Weber is the best by far. Very even heat and can use the top cover to either grill very fast or keep the heat in for slow grilling. Infinite flame adjustability and has a piezo igniter. We get 5 to 6 excellent grilled meals (steaks/burgers/chicken/chops or pork steak) out of each 1# cylinder when camping. Not bad at all!

We don't even use our huge stainless patio grill when at home anymore unless we need to grill for more then 4 or 6 people. Basically the big stainless grill just sits and takes up a lot of space now. The Weber 1 has replaced its roll at a very small fraction of it's size as the go to grill and it actually grills faster and better!

We Have 2 of them (1 for home and one for our 2 RV's) but are going to add a third so each RV will have their own and no need to move the one back an forth. Folds and locks down after it's cool with the stainless legs in seconds and in a storage compartment using the convenient handle on top and you are done.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Tizi wrote:
We use a Weber Q 100 and have been for years. Fits in our storage compartment in our NL camper (where the factory generator would normally go). I clean it once per year before winter. It stays in the camper year round. Always works, always makes excellent grilled food.

We have been using the same grill for 9 years no problems! Great grill ! Use it at home too
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Weber Q 100 and have been for years. Fits in our storage compartment in our NL camper (where the factory generator would normally go). I clean it once per year before winter. It stays in the camper year round. Always works, always makes excellent grilled food.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Q1200 with a flat griddle, works great but as mentioned it's a storage issue. My brother switched to a blackstone griddle, looks a like it would work well in the TC.

PaulBlair89
Explorer
Explorer
I used have Coleman Fold N Go. This one is truly portable and really lightweight. And it's quite affordable as for Coleman.

Coleman Fold N Go compared to other camping grills.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
richclover wrote:
specta wrote:

It might not be as "portable" as you're looking for but I got tired of those little grills that use the 1 lb bottles.

We just got one of these. Took it to our winter runaway spot in Mesquite, NV. Itโ€™s a great tabletop grill. Cooks very nicely and easy to clean.

I like it too. Its a little big one. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
We use what Reality check uses. The ole weber special.
Wife bought one of those nice coleman Roadtrip grills for us, but nowhere to carry it. Basically only use it when our friends with the motorhome come with because they have room for it. Actually gave it to them last year.
The little black grill gets stored up on the camper roof, bungy cord to the little "rack" on the roof. easy to get to, out of the way, outside, so any greasy mess doesn't get into the camper and most importantly, it's the only place that grill fits except on the floor inside the camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
We use this one:

Coleman Propane Grill

It fits nicely in a compartment of the AF camper

I use that one also. Works well and i like having a side burner and the griddle . It's pretty much all you need.

I also have a small charcoal grill i take with me.

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
suggest to look at at camp cooks & connisurers (sp). on rv.net and search for Blackstone griddles...... Having getting a 17" Blackstone will be leaving our weber smoky Joe home.... very handy.....
jimbow

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
This is the one that we have. It is small however it is perfect for the two of us and fits into the basement of our Northern Lite Camper.

This is my second Primus BBQ ( other one seems to have found new home at the kids house)
We have no problem cooking steaks, pork chops, chicken, Burgers etc. The burner is close to the grill so there is no issue with getting heat. The 1 lbs bottles are plenty big enough to cook what is needed. We even take this out snowmobiling and ATVing.
Plus it makes great morning coffee
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geewizard wrote:
Photomike wrote:
AnEv942 wrote:

We use a small table top-uses 1# bottles, think I paid less than $20 from local discount drug store, though several years ago. Folds up pretty compact, easily fits in compartment.

This is the same one that I use only in black. Only issue is that in really cold or wind it does not have a pile of heat. But for the price cannot be beat!

+1. I've had mine for 15 years. Replaced the grill once. Fits in the TC perfectly. No mess. One suggestion: Don't turn on the propane with the lid on then press the piezo igniter. The lid can go up a few feet when the propane ignites.

.....it only happened once in a land far far away.......

That would be a blast :E :B
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the Q1200 with thermometer and we often do a flat bread pizza with dough balls from our local bakery. It can get really hot, enough to sear but you lose the temps fast when opening it. You can also use foil like a gasket to create smaller vents at the sides. I removed the regulator from the grill and installed a 1/4" cross (replacing the tee after the regulator in our camper) with a ball valve and had a 12' long hose made with conventional female ends (not quick coupler)to plumb direct to our 30# tanks. No more small bottles, quick to set up and portable enough to be under the awning or behind the camper.
It can be messy with the drip pan but it stores easily in the basement.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
How are any of these grills at searing, though? My experience with similar grills is that they're pretty anemic.

To sear properly you need something that gets ripping hot, and those $20 grills just can't. If all you're doing is warming up some hot dogs that's one thing, but slow cooking burgers or a steak on a grill, you end up with a dry piece of gray shoe leather...

I have a Weber Q2000 and it's barely adequate in the searing department even with a 20lb propane tank.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one that we have. It is small however it is perfect for the two of us and fits into the basement of our Northern Lite Camper.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks