Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Auxillary Fuel Tank ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Auxillary Fuel Tank ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did any of the trucks of that year come with a bigger tank? If so you might get a good deal at a junk yard. If not that, I would second the titan suggestion.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not replace the small stock tank with an after-market larger tank.
52 gallon fuel tank

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been looking into the same thing for a 2017 RAM 1500. From everything I've been able find out, it appears that auxiliary tanks for gasoline have been outlawed. There are lots of options for diesel, but nothing for gasoline. There are a few options for transfer tanks. The difference being that a transfer tank sits in the bed and holds fuel, but is not plumbed into the fuel system or fed into the stock tank. You would have to pull over, get out, and pump the fuel into the onboard tank. I've found titan has 15 Gallon saddle tank but it doesn't have a built in pump only siphon. I've also seen combination toolbox / transfer tanks with built in pumps in the 50+ gallon range.

I have a 26 gallon tank and the only option I've come up with for a larger plumbed in tank is, as others have suggested, to replace the stock tank with a larger tank if it was an option or there is an aftermarket tank available. I followed the link enblethen posted above and it appears the tanks from summit are only for diesel as well. I haven't seen an aftermarket larger tank for the RAM. The OEM XL tank is 33 gallons and if you can find a dealer willing to quote it, most won't, the consensus seems to be it will be in the $3-4K range. Not worth it to me for 7 gallons.

With respect to others advice of just stopping, its not always that easy. It's a chore to get into and out of even the large Travel Stops with a 37' trailer in tow. I start looking to fill up around 1/4 tank and most times its not a problem, but on at least one occasion I have had to resort to finding a spot to unhook the trailer because I was running on fumes and there wasn't a gas station I could get the trailer into. I tend to stop and stretch my legs every couple of hours, but I prefer to do that where there's plenty of room to park. There are also still a few areas of the country and especially the trans Canada highway where I would definitely want more range than my stock tank offers.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum Tank Industries makes DOT refueling tanks suitable for gasoline. I have one of their diesel transfer tanks. It seems to be a well built product at a fair price.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I install a transfer refuel in my F350 from Trailer Supply. First 2 pumps were Fill Right 12V & both crapped out in under a month from another supplier. I now have the GPI pump from tractor supply about a year. I mounted the pump on the drivers side and always fuel the TV from it and refill the transfer tank from the station pumps, keeps fuel fresh. Otta see the attendants eyes when you hand them $200 on pump 3, 80 in the transfer and 38 in the TV. [emoticon] [emoticon]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that deal with only a 26 gallon tank! My old 97 F150 with the 5.4 had a 26 gallon tank... It got to 1/4 tank so fast!

Got the 13 F150 with the 36 gallon tank and where I was stopping for gas on a 200 mile trip, I don't have to worry about gas at all until I get there.. I still stop every couple of hours just to stretch the legs and such, but not having to get gas makes it an easier stop..

As was said, if you can get a replacement tank with the extra capacity in the stock location, that's the way to go...

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No thanks on $1500, I will just keep what I have.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast, you can cut that price way way down. some folks with deep pockets just gotta have the spencive stuff.

Maybe get a reasonable priced one and just buy the transferflow decal? [emoticon][emoticon]

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

happy2rv wrote:

I've been looking into the same thing for a 2017 RAM 1500. From everything I've been able find out, it appears that auxiliary tanks for gasoline have been outlawed. There are lots of options for diesel, but nothing for gasoline.

Auxiliary tanks for gas are legal. Check Transfer Flows 40,50,75 gal. tanks for gas

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You first must decide if you want the auxiliary tank in the bed of your truck or underneath (replacing the original tank that came with the truck). Once you decide this you have many options either way

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Auxillary Fuel Tank ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.