Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Auxillary Fuel Tank ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Auxillary Fuel Tank ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

JR, if a person was to plumb the aux into the filler neck like I did there is not an issue, has not been for 7 years on my F250. Stick a normally closed fuel valve between the aux pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Wire the valve so that it is open when fuel is pumping.

I thought about that. But then I thought about "What happens when pump the last of the gas out of the added tank?" Bet my engine would die. Would it restart? Likely, but would it start just shutting off pump? Or would I need to go to neutral, hit the key, and back to drive? Then there is the chance of the valve leaking air. Not a good chance, but I don't like to open doors for Mr. Murphy.
My little engine, and my little camper, I get to quarter tank after over 300 miles. And I have no issue getting in and out of gas stations. Works for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. YMMV

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way I did it years ago when I had to flip a switch to change tanks was to run the auxiliary tank first. But then I put a gauge on that tank and no longer needed to do it that way

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

JR, if a person was to plumb the aux into the filler neck like I did there is not an issue, has not been for 7 years on my F250. Stick a normally closed fuel valve between the aux pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Wire the valve so that it is open when fuel is pumping.

I thought about that. But then I thought about "What happens when pump the last of the gas out of the added tank?" Bet my engine would die. Would it restart? Likely, but would it start just shutting off pump? Or would I need to go to neutral, hit the key, and back to drive? Then there is the chance of the valve leaking air. Not a good chance, but I don't like to open doors for Mr. Murphy.
My little engine, and my little camper, I get to quarter tank after over 300 miles. And I have no issue getting in and out of gas stations. Works for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. YMMV

Scooby dooby, you're cornfused again.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

The way I did it years ago when I had to flip a switch to change tanks was to run the auxiliary tank first. But then I put a gauge on that tank and no longer needed to do it that way

This was my practice also. When I got the truck with store-bought twin tanks I put a magnet on the dash. When the other tank was MT I put it next to switch.

Grit dog wrote:

Scooby dooby, you're cornfused again.

Just exactly what am I "cornfused" about? I know if I open the gas cap at idle, the engine will die. At highway RPM I bet it will. I know on many vehicles, a loose cap will light the check engine light. I know that with any of many transfer pumps I have used, there is air bubbles in the diesel fuel when I get to the bottom of tank. I always shut of the pump when I saw the bubbles, but if I was pumping gas when driving I would not see them. Do you think the pollution control would treat air coming thru a new line different than air coming in from a removed tank?
Or am I confused to think I do not need the extra capacity? Confused to think I can get in and out of any gas station? You might need extra fuel, be willing to risk the extra problems, but I am not. If I did want to carry extra gas, I would mount a tank on the other side, under the bed, with a crossover line low on the tanks and a air tight, large diameter, line to the stock neck. When the original got full, it would overflow to the other tank before it backed up in the neck to shut off the nozzle. Flow thru the crossover would keep levels equal.

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The digressions on bio tanks are amusing. I'm sure we all wish for a more convenient solution.

Don't we all drag our own private facilities along with us?

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

My truck now has a 36 gallon tank for diesel and at 10 miles to the gallon I need to stop before 360 miles and often more.
I would get very nervous at anything over 270 miles.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Auxillary Fuel Tank ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.