Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Auxillary Fuel Tank ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Auxillary Fuel Tank ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kw/00 wrote:

Just a thought, when GM offered the long bed, it also came with a 36 gallon tank. This will be a perfect replacement for your current fuel tank. They offered the long bed trucks during that model that you have and still do. Some junk yards have those trucks and or fuel tanks, I’m sure that you could get it cheaper there. It would be factory and basic plug and play to install. That’s what I would do.

But if the tank would fit under a short bed would GM go to the expense of making 2 tanks? Not at least offer the big as a extra cost option?

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mem, you got it wrong. You can transfer gas from an aux into the main tank but you cannot hook the gas feed from the aux into the vehicle fuel system down stream from the tank. My aux pumps into the truck filler neck, whenever I turn on the pump switch in the cab of the truck.

anyway that is what I heard tell down on lot 26 where i am camping. [emoticon]

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

We have had even a 26 gallon diesel tank on an older truck. The bottom line for us is we have to pee no matter how big the tank LOL
Well, nobody forces you to stay in the truck until you get low on gas, but it's nice to stop at someplace nicer to use the facilities instead of a stinky, noisy, crowded gas station. And it's nice that you get to pick the place to stop, not the truck.

I have never looked at peeing as a destination point! Also being a diabetic I pee often anyhow.
Also I am not going to haul around any extra weight that is not needed. My truck now has a 36 gallon tank for diesel and at 10 miles to the gallon I need to stop before 360 miles and often more.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

kw/00 wrote:

Just a thought, when GM offered the long bed, it also came with a 36 gallon tank. This will be a perfect replacement for your current fuel tank. They offered the long bed trucks during that model that you have and still do. Some junk yards have those trucks and or fuel tanks, I’m sure that you could get it cheaper there. It would be factory and basic plug and play to install. That’s what I would do.

But if the tank would fit under a short bed would GM go to the expense of making 2 tanks? Not at least offer the big as a extra cost option?

I wish they would have offered it as an option to short bed trucks. My cousin had an 01 with the long wheel base for construction. He also had the 4 door so it was a very long truck... lol anyway his came with the larger tank. I can’t recall but the standard for sure was 26 gallons and long bed models came with I think a 36 gallon tank. It might have been a 32.... but I will have to ask him. Oh it that tank does fit the standard bed... so easy swap for those wanting the extra gallons..

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

2006 Chevy 2500 - 6.0

My Chevy 2500 has only a 26 gallon gas tank and the range is not too far when towing a trailer.

I had the same truck in a 2002 model. She was a gas hog towing my Desert Fox 21SW.

Titan Tanks is my recommendation.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To everyone who is recommending Titan tanks, perhaps I'm missing something. I looked at their XL replacement tanks and I could find nothing for a 2017 1/2 ton Ford, Ram, or GM. If I moved up to 2500/3500 series they showed options for diesel engines only, not gas. Either they've quit making them for gas or their web site isn't showing them...

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the only manufacturer of gas transfer tanks that I have been able to find.

http://atitank.com/products/auxiliary-fuel-tanks/

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's one: Tank and Barrel

Here's one: Leonard Accessories

Will these work?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the past I have had a few trucks with auxiliary tanks. (First F-750 carried 150 gallons between back of cab and winches) All had a manual valve to switch from tank to tank. But back when those trucks where built one line went from tank to pump. Vent was another line, or hole in cap, that just went to outside. My '85 Fords with 2 tanks had a electrically controlled valve, with a hole bunch of lines. My old Dodge half ton, I have thought about a tank in the bed. But don't want that many lines thru the floor, to much chance of issues. Thought about just pumping fuel into the neck of stock tank, but if I open the fuel cap the engine will die. (On a lot of gas vehicles a loose cap will turn on "check engine") Then I decided to just pump gas while I was stopped, take break not at gas station. But finally got the idea between my ears; I'm retired, no longer need to stay between the doors every minute I can. Stop when I want, and pull into a station about every 300 miles.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JR, if a person was to plumb the aux into the filler neck like I did there is not an issue, has not been for 7 years on my F250. Stick a normally closed fuel valve between the aux pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Wire the valve so that it is open when fuel is pumping.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Auxillary Fuel Tank ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.