cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning top of slideout

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently downsized to a one slideout 5th wheel. When camping I've always used a ladder to clean off the leaves and small branches before retracting the slides. I usually just climb up on the ladder and use the hose to wash everything off.

After a couple of falls from ladders, I'm looking for a creative way to eliminate the ladder and do everything from the ground. I do not want an awning on the slide for several reasons.

I figure there must be some way to effectively sweep all the stuff off the slideout and would appreciate any creative ideas.
36 REPLIES 36

johnadam55
Explorer
Explorer
Took me time to read all these comments, but I really enjoyed this article. In case of cleaning outdoor areas wet & forget outdoor cleaners helps me a lot. It works like charm. I hope these cleaners will help you guys. Itโ€™s always nice when you can not only be informed but also entertained! Great article indeed.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
dryfly wrote:
...Ordered Blue tooth selfie stick today. Will make PVC extension. Quick way to inspect top of slide.

Be sure to share what you get and how you modify it. I'm thinking it would be a nice thing to keep in the trailer too.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
"But here is another idea- 9.5 times out of 10 nothing has accumulated on top of my slide, and I don't need to do anything but look to be sure. But looking requires climbing the ladder too. How about a selfie stick for your cell phone so you can inspect from the ground?"

I am with pbounds o this subject When retracting and I want to check, I pull the slide about half way in and then grab a dinette chair or my three step stool and step up and look at the portion of the slide that is retracted along with taking a gander at the rest of it. Ain't no big deal, and the last thing i can imagine is having to climb on the roof of a fifth wheel to brush something off of a slide. :h

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a mop for laminate floors. I also doubt all this time, I read the reviews on the forums of those who already use these products, and decided, since the children are small, there is a laminate floor and I wouldn't go there with a bucket since they can spill water and fall on a puddle...to ask you, what can you recommend?

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
I like the idea of a hook shaped device, either blowing air or a water wand type.

But here is another idea- 9.5 times out of 10 nothing has accumulated on top of my slide, and I don't need to do anything but look to be sure. But looking requires climbing the ladder too. How about a selfie stick for your cell phone so you can inspect from the ground?

I'm not sure they make a selfie stick long enough for use with fiver slides, but I'm sure you could adapt something to extend the reach.

You are exactly right, many times when I'm not camping under trees there is absolutely no reason to even think about debris on top of slide. Taking a quick pic of the slide top would confirm. Also, would be useful if needing to clean to make sure everything is off. Great idea!

EDIT: Ordered Blue tooth selfie stick today. Will make PVC extension. Quick way to inspect top of slide.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
Hey guys, I need a favor please. In no way did I try to be contentious regarding slide toppers when I started this thread. Before arguments lead to this thread being "closed" I ask you to please indulge me in the fact that I don't want to use slide toppers. I have nothing personally against anyone that makes that choice, but for the sake of discussion, I'm simply asking for alternatives.

Now, several of the solutions like making a PVC water wand, and the idea of using a device to move across the top of the slide are things I have been tossing around. I was thinking along the lines of getting a 30" push broom, remove the handle, and add some wheels for it to glide on the top of the slide. It could easily be pulled from side to side.

A lot of this may sound crazy, but I just find it enjoyable to look for solutions to different problems.

I just don't see any real easy way to clean off the top of a slide out, you either have to get on top of the fifth wheel , or some way to scrape it off from the ground. I would think a leaf blower ,and being on top of the fifth wheel or using a ladder would be the best choice. I know rver's carry a small battery operated leaf blower to blow off their mats.

Here again, I have had fifth wheels without the toppers, and my present one with, and IMO they solve more problems then they create . Yes that are a bit spendy,, but you have no desire for them it appears . Good luck with your pursuit .

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I like the idea of a hook shaped device, either blowing air or a water wand type.

But here is another idea- 9.5 times out of 10 nothing has accumulated on top of my slide, and I don't need to do anything but look to be sure. But looking requires climbing the ladder too. How about a selfie stick for your cell phone so you can inspect from the ground?

I'm not sure they make a selfie stick long enough for use with fiver slides, but I'm sure you could adapt something to extend the reach.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I need a favor please. In no way did I try to be contentious regarding slide toppers when I started this thread. Before arguments lead to this thread being "closed" I ask you to please indulge me in the fact that I don't want to use slide toppers. I have nothing personally against anyone that makes that choice, but for the sake of discussion, I'm simply asking for alternatives.

Now, several of the solutions like making a PVC water wand, and the idea of using a device to move across the top of the slide are things I have been tossing around. I was thinking along the lines of getting a 30" push broom, remove the handle, and add some wheels for it to glide on the top of the slide. It could easily be pulled from side to side.

A lot of this may sound crazy, but I just find it enjoyable to look for solutions to different problems.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Toppers will mold when retracted wet and not extended soon after to dry.

So do the awnings and even when you close them up dried they still wick in moisture. Mine get rolled up dry every time and next time I open them after it rains they are wet and I get dripped on.

Rob

I have never seen mold on either my awning nor my slide toppers ,and they get rolled up wet ,and left that way. Could be the dry climate here in Utah, but no mold. Mine are 12 years old now.

Its funny the subject of cleaning off the toppers , Slide outs I can see , but a few leaves or needles remaining on top of the slide outs, can't see where they are going to hurt anything if left, bigger twigs or broken branches sure. Same with the slide toppers , I have NEVER cleaned them off. Bigger stuff like a branch is going to fall off, the small stuff also unless wet, and a few leaves or needles rolled up is not going to be a problem, at least for me it hasn't , but have never noticed anything staying up there, when the wife brings in the slides.

Also as far as the wind ,I got one on the long living room slide that flaps a bit in the wind, and I have been in some pretty good wind storms ,other then annoying flapping it hasn't been a problem.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
A slide topper prolongs the life of your roof. No harmful UV rays degrading it. Once installed (2 hour job at most), it will last 15 years.
As the OP stated: "I do not want an awning on the slide for several reasons."

Let's let the slide topper discussion languish, due to lack of interest by the OP.

I guess people like you know everything there is to know. I responded to let some that WILL be interested and do not know everything, so they know how to care for THEIR slide covers. Doug

P.S what does it harm YOU to keep a discussion going????????????????????
It does me no harm, obviously, but it's how you end up with thread drift, and the discussion ends up having little to do with what the OP originally asked.

You want to have a discussion about slide toppers? No problem, start your own thread. The OP doesn't want slide toppers, so why not stick to suggestions along the line of what he wants? How hard is that?

Besides slide toppers have been discussed to death and usually end up with a rancorous argument and the thread gets closed.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
A slide topper prolongs the life of your roof. No harmful UV rays degrading it. Once installed (2 hour job at most), it will last 15 years.
As the OP stated: "I do not want an awning on the slide for several reasons."

Let's let the slide topper discussion languish, due to lack of interest by the OP.

I guess people like you know everything there is to know. I responded to let some that WILL be interested and do not know everything, so they know how to care for THEIR slide covers. Doug

P.S what does it harm YOU to keep a discussion going????????????????????

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess whatโ€™s wrong with continuing the conversation????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about a low tech solution:

Tie a length of rope onto the corner of an old blanket. Toss the rope over the slide then pull the blanket up and across to drag stuff off. Without trying this I don't know how effective it is but the price is right.

You might have to sew or pin in a dowel or coat hanger to force the blanket wider.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Toppers will mold when retracted wet and not extended soon after to dry.

When I stated to retract, you do this to REMOVE the accumulated water and then extend after it sheds the water. Doug
It's a moot point, the OP has already stated he isn't interested in slide toppers. No sense arguing about it. And they get moldy, so what.

No arguing here. Just stating my opinion.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD