Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Cleaning top of slideout
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cleaning top of slideout

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea of a hook shaped device, either blowing air or a water wand type.

But here is another idea- 9.5 times out of 10 nothing has accumulated on top of my slide, and I don't need to do anything but look to be sure. But looking requires climbing the ladder too. How about a selfie stick for your cell phone so you can inspect from the ground?

I'm not sure they make a selfie stick long enough for use with fiver slides, but I'm sure you could adapt something to extend the reach.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

Hey guys, I need a favor please. In no way did I try to be contentious regarding slide toppers when I started this thread. Before arguments lead to this thread being "closed" I ask you to please indulge me in the fact that I don't want to use slide toppers. I have nothing personally against anyone that makes that choice, but for the sake of discussion, I'm simply asking for alternatives.

Now, several of the solutions like making a PVC water wand, and the idea of using a device to move across the top of the slide are things I have been tossing around. I was thinking along the lines of getting a 30" push broom, remove the handle, and add some wheels for it to glide on the top of the slide. It could easily be pulled from side to side.

A lot of this may sound crazy, but I just find it enjoyable to look for solutions to different problems.

I just don't see any real easy way to clean off the top of a slide out, you either have to get on top of the fifth wheel , or some way to scrape it off from the ground. I would think a leaf blower ,and being on top of the fifth wheel or using a ladder would be the best choice. I know rver's carry a small battery operated leaf blower to blow off their mats.

Here again, I have had fifth wheels without the toppers, and my present one with, and IMO they solve more problems then they create . Yes that are a bit spendy,, but you have no desire for them it appears . Good luck with your pursuit .

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

I like the idea of a hook shaped device, either blowing air or a water wand type.

But here is another idea- 9.5 times out of 10 nothing has accumulated on top of my slide, and I don't need to do anything but look to be sure. But looking requires climbing the ladder too. How about a selfie stick for your cell phone so you can inspect from the ground?

I'm not sure they make a selfie stick long enough for use with fiver slides, but I'm sure you could adapt something to extend the reach.

You are exactly right, many times when I'm not camping under trees there is absolutely no reason to even think about debris on top of slide. Taking a quick pic of the slide top would confirm. Also, would be useful if needing to clean to make sure everything is off. Great idea!

EDIT: Ordered Blue tooth selfie stick today. Will make PVC extension. Quick way to inspect top of slide.

* This post was edited 12/16/19 09:24pm by dryfly *

ghooos

yeaop

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for a mop for laminate floors. I also doubt all this time, I read the reviews on the forums of those who already use these products, and decided, since the children are small, there is a laminate floor and I wouldn't go there with a bucket since they can spill water and fall on a puddle...to ask you, what can you recommend?

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"But here is another idea- 9.5 times out of 10 nothing has accumulated on top of my slide, and I don't need to do anything but look to be sure. But looking requires climbing the ladder too. How about a selfie stick for your cell phone so you can inspect from the ground?"

I am with pbounds o this subject When retracting and I want to check, I pull the slide about half way in and then grab a dinette chair or my three step stool and step up and look at the portion of the slide that is retracted along with taking a gander at the rest of it. Ain't no big deal, and the last thing i can imagine is having to climb on the roof of a fifth wheel to brush something off of a slide. [emoticon]

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

...Ordered Blue tooth selfie stick today. Will make PVC extension. Quick way to inspect top of slide.

Be sure to share what you get and how you modify it. I'm thinking it would be a nice thing to keep in the trailer too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cleaning top of slideout
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.