Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: AT&T Unlimited Data vs wifi hotspot usage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> AT&T Unlimited Data vs wifi hotspot usage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have I-Phone with unlimited data plan and 15 GB hotspot. I have the Apple HDMI connector to where I can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ to the TV using the phone's data plan.
If I want to use wifi for the computer while I'm streaming a movie, would the streaming video still count towards my data plan, or would it switch over and start counting towards my hotspot data?

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know
But if would not do both at the same time on that phone
I think hotspot app/ function would be the priority function to be controlled, and the data video stream will get counted

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my phone, wifi hot spot is the same as any data the phone is using at the same time, so data is data.. I'm on Verizon, but I'll bet it's the same around the board..

Give it a try and find out! [emoticon] Bet your band width suffers too..

Good luck!

Mitch

[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Samsung Galaxy's with AT&T. We stream video and use the WIFI hot spot at the same time, all the time. As Mitch said above, "data is data". We've also used multiple computers on the same WIFI, and not had a hint of problem. We've been on an unlimited plan for years now.

Apple I-phone? I can't vouch for how it works though.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tried Verizon unlimited data but at 15gb Verizon throttles it down. It was throttled so much we went back to a set plan with two hotspots. Don't know about other unlimited plans. Using two devices may eat up your data faster if AT&T does the same.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know about data being data. I had to upgrade my unlimited plan to get the hotspot capabilities.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Verizon Truly Unlimited Plan, it's no longer available. Plan is $110 and each device is $20 per mo. We have 10 lines..

We use my wife phone to stream Netflix a lot. Even with it exceeding the 15gb high speed watching NETFLIX is not an issue. I use my phone hotspot for the desktop. We also have a USB Modem to use if we exceed the 15 high speed on my phone, we usually do.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to the AT&T store. The guy said they “shouldn’t “ co-mingle data because they are separate systems. He did say I should ‘monitor’ my usage to make sure what he’s telling me is ‘correct’
Geez, does no one teach product knowledge anymore to the younger generation? No wonder in most instances you HAVE to know more than the order taking salesman.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my understanding, Your Hotspot data plan will provide full capacity up to the GB you selected. Once you reach that limit, your speed will be cut down and could cause problems streaming. The regular data is unlimited but that has a streaming restriction. It will only allow you to stream in essentially standard definition.

Both will throttle your speed when you hit the max capacity limit set out in your agreement. For your Hotspot, that's 15 GB of use. You'll need to read your agreement to see where the unlimited plan starts throttling.

I gather that you can stream in high def using the Hotspot until you hit the data limit which will cut you to a slow connection that makes video watching a problem. On the regular unlimited data portion, you are restricted from streaming in high def all the time but it lets you stream in standard def with no throttling.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The op connects the iPhone to the TV via HDMI
So he can watch stream video included in his plan on his TV

But he wants to also turn the hotspot at the same time and use his computer on line via the hotspot

The question is how will the video data stream be accounted for after he turned on the hotspot

Hotspot limited data
Or unlimited phone data , which is what it is before he turns on the wifi hotspot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> AT&T Unlimited Data vs wifi hotspot usage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.