cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mounting a propane tank to bumper

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
we bought a 2019 northern lite it has the two little propane bottles like you see on b b q grills. I am looking for a way to mount either two of the same size tanks to the large bumper or even better say a 20 or 30 pound and never have to use the small ones that are so hard to get in and out. Thank those of you for helping with this according to cummins the generator will run for 3.5 hours on one tank that came with the camper. I have seen one northern lite with a tank on the bumper and the hose ran through to the mount inside the compartment. hope it can be done
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
155 REPLIES 155

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
close the thread all I wanted was some advice on carrying extra propane, this is ridiculous, out of eight pages I think I got only a couple of helpful hints. there are some who will not run their referigators on propane when driving even though that is why they were built to run on propane. For those of you that were honestly trying to help me solve a problem , thank you. as for the rest good night
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I also lived in Las Vegas before it turned into a extension of California evaporative coolers do not work there anymore. To many golf courses and swimming pools, the humidity is to high for them to be effective. they still work in places like pahrump Boron and Ridgecrest California.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
:R :S
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
This was an excepted way to transport gasoline for the military for years..Gasoline is far more flammable than propane..

This is okay huh but not propane..LOL

Oh,what was Kimbo campers thinking,putting the propane compartment in the rear of a truck camper..laffin

There are a ton of pictures with gas cans mounted to the rear of a truck camper but that's kool huh,just not propane..I get it..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971 wrote:
every R V I have looked at has a lock on doors where propane bottles are kept

Both RV's I have owned that had bottles in compartments did not have locks from the factory, latches yes, locks no. That is until I replaced the latches with locks. Your Northern Lite did not have a lock either when it rolled out the factory door, not that it means anything in the whole scheme of things.

When I read these types of threads I often wonder how some people can overcome their fears enough to ever leave the house. You never know when a blue icicle may fall from the sky and bean you in the noggin.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971 wrote:
there are many propane tanks protected by a thin piece of sheet metal and at the height if they were hit in the side the propane tank would take the worse of it

It seem me that the odds of being hit in the SIDE at high speed is far, far less than the odds of being hit in the back.

Really, man, if you want to do stupid things, be my guest. Just remember to always utter the words; "Hold my beer. I wanna try something." first.

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
every R V I have looked at has a lock on doors where propane bottles are kept

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
Propane bottles need to be mounted somewhere where they won't be damaged if someone rear ends you - or you rear end someone who stops short in front of you.
there are many propane tanks protected by a thin piece of sheet metal and at the height if they were hit in the side the propane tank would take the worse of it We have propane trucks that deliver propane to homes one was hit by a train it was horrible no explosion or no catastrophe from fire now give me a example of of one of these bombs you refer to

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
a loan of vehicles run on gasoline and or propane I saw several California cars owned by the state of california . The propane tank could be partially seen below the rear bumper. I also love the people who go unhinged when I fill my diesel truck up with diesel and they are screaming a spark could kill everyone. that isa crock there are no sparks from a diesel no spark plugs, try to ge4t diesel fuel to burn with a match see what happens inn a propane tank is overheated it bleeds off slowly. I had a class a with a 32 gallon propane tank the only thing protecting it was a thin piece of sheet metal if a car had hit the side of that class a the propane tank would have taken a hit to bend it badly or worse. a lot of R V's have poorly mounted propane tanks ha worry warts get a grip

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
If some people do not agree with then then they imply everyone is ignorant. where do you think cars that run on propane place those propane tanks under the back by thebumper. Know all the facts before you label people with ignorance abounds because usually it is the one without all the facts

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I do not understand the confusionI have had a class c 2017and a class A both if in a accident could be damaged. I had a class B burn to the ground while on a trip to louisiana. no explosion
from the gasoline tank or the propane tank. some people get over cautious manic cautious. these taks have built in safety feature

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ryoung wrote:

Also IMO, doing something that is unsafe for "40 years and getting away with it", is not good advice. Especially when it is contrary to published safety standard.

Label me the "Safety Police" if you wish. But that's just me.

ryoung

Labeling it as 40 yo is not good neither as propane handling laws AND recommendations changed drastically less than 20 yo and you will still find equipment build to old standards.
25 years ago I was legally dumping gray water on the ground.
Don't do it today even I don't think there is federal law forbidding it.
It is not topic side kicking that is annoying to me. It is the trolls flooding it with their agenda.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
This thread should close. Ignorance abound.

Just throwing it back out there....

Then close it..You are a moderator right?

If you don't like it,don't look..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
This thread should close. Ignorance abound.

Just throwing it back out there....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold